IT.COM

question Your questions about the NamesCon Global conference (June 5-8, Austin)

NameSilo
Watch

semaine

Established Member
Impact
I'm preparing an interview with NamesCon chairman, Soeren von Varchmin and I thought I'd ask here for your input.

So, what would you be curious to learn about this year's edition or the 'making of' of NamesCon (the conference started in 2013). Have you been to any of the past editions? What stroke you there the most? What was missing?

There are no wrong questions :) I will try to get some of them to Soeren.

Thanks for helping!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are no wrong questions :) I will try to get some of them to Soeren.
Thanks for giving us the opportunity to pose questions.

I've got a couple that are related: Will Epik be allowed to attend? Will Rob Monster be allowed to attend?

(I don't imagine either party would unmask/unhide, but I wonder what the official position would be)

•••
Thanks for opportunity to suggest questions. Here are some possibilities.

1. Are they planning “Ask me anything” sessions with leaders from some of they key marketplaces and registrars of most interest to domain investors?

2. What is one session/presenter scheduled for Namescon who has never spoken before at a naming meeting?

3. Are they open to some sessions being available in an online only format at a reasonable cost?

4. Why is it held in June and why in Austin?

Thanks again.

-Bob

•••
Note: The first NamesCon took place in 2014 (although preparing it definitely started in 2013.) I attended in 2014-2017 while it was in Vegas. The city ALWAYS offers fun things to do regardless of how many times one goes back. Also, the choice of month matters: Climate changed a lot and summers aren't comfortable to travel for conventions and family travel gets in the way.

So one of my questions for Soeren would be whether he'd like to experience the high attendance rates of the Vegas version (which was mostly run by Richard Lau.)

Last edited:
•••
Hello i am student from europe me and my friend started a company recently and wanted to join this meetup but 2 passes for us are really expensive so we request namescon to give us waiver but they did not got back to us yet can you help us out

•••
Hello i am student from europe me and my friend started a company recently and wanted to join this meetup but 2 passes for us are really expensive so we request namescon to give us waiver but they did not got back to us yet can you help us out
Hello my friend, I remember your student offers from a while back. Hey @semaine help those guys out!

Last edited:
•••
Hello my friend, I remember your student offers from a while back. Hey @semaine help those guys out!

Thank you for you help we have got the tickets and we would love to meet you at conference if you are coming this year and would love to know about experience in this market as we are just starting and created marketplace so would need your input.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Thanks so much for including some of the questions in your nice article!

While disappointed that they do not plan to include ways to participate online, or even access materials online after event, I do understand Soeren's point of view about the advantages of an in-person event.

It is unfortunate that in-person events, particularly if they take place each year in the same location in one country, exclude for financial, family, mobility, and other reasons a number of people who could have participated online. A truly equitable global domain community should be the long term goal.

By the way, point out to NamePros members that there is a section of the forum for local meetups and events: https://www.namepros.com/forums/local-events-and-meetups.189/

Also, NamePros is like a domain conference that never ends, and is free to all. I wrote about that in 2020:
https://www.namepros.com/blog/namepros-as-a-domain-name-conference.1180760/

I am glad that there are so many unaffiliated regional events now, and also other online events.

Thanks again for a really interesting article, @semaine.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
It's unfortunate that the question about the show's (re)location to Las Vegas was not raised. Or if it were, there was no answer. Met Soeren in Vegas back in 2016 I believe but I'm not sure if he liked the Sin City's overall vibe plus it's a longer flight from Germany.

Last edited:
•••
(Edit) Whoops! ...there WILL be a live domain auction!

nice to know

Last edited:
•••
@Acroplex the 30-minute interview couldn't cover all the things I wanted to discuss and I had to make some choices.

However, I got back to Soeren and asked him about Last Vegas, this is what he said:
The hotels in Las Vegas are way to big for a small conference as NamesCon. It looks empty/deserted with so little attendees in those large mega halls.

•••
Thanks Semaine. I know you're just the messenger but wow, I was there from 2014-2017 inclusive and every time the conference venues were packed. NamesCon was the biggest domain conference ever, far surpassing TRAFFIC.

•••
Yes, thanks for getting answer.

I was at NamesCon 2019 in Vegas and it certainly did not at all feel anything other than well attended. While some Vegas hotel complexes are huge, there is variety as in any convention and entertainment oriented city.

Does anyone know what the approximate attendance figures were for the past two NamesCon in Austin?

With ICA holding their meetings in Vegas, and now several Web3 focus events, I am not sure it is a good solution either, and personally I think rotation through several venues, not every year in USA, would serve NamesCon best if it really does wish to be considered NamesCon GLOBAL.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back