Dynadot

registries The mystery of credit.club uncovered

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

vivaldi

Nothing personalTop Member
Impact
"Out of the blue there was reported that someone just hand registered credit.club a few days ago"

"Even though the buyer just had been tweeting to .club, been at Namescon promoting his very own service on how you work with Wordpress and how to make it successful, it was still seen as lack of proof. "One of their team did attend my wife and my WP talks and we ran into them at the booth later in the conference where I funny enough, found out about startup.club" the new owner told the users at the forum however he still denied any thing other than that he had only registered it for $10.99 at Name.com."

Read more here.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The registry the only one that needs/should give some answers not the hard working domainer that happen to check available one word dot clubs on the right day.

The domain was either released on purpose or there was a mistake.

Any way this is a very weird case (200k earmarked 'premium' letting go for $10) in an industry that has its share of skeptics.

I feel strongly we should be able to discuss this without people saying words like envy and jealousy. There are people that are much more interested in the process of why this happen than wishing they owned a particular dot club domain.

•••
Some people can't accept the fact that someone got a great name for reg fee.

•••
Credit.pub is still available for only $24.99!!

Credit.pub....a place for all the members of the Credit.club to grab beers after their meetings.

•••
•••
did anybody else ever had such luck, to get a six-figure Domain for registration fee? me neither, so something's not serious about deal, despite all speculations ...

Many of the guys who bought .com back in the nineties.

I was also very lucky back in 2005, not one name but quite a few that earned me quite a lot of money. When .in was launched .co.in was relaunched but hardly anybody noticed I was able to fill my boots and make the $'s before most people even realised there was a market.

Luck happens, but usually sparks rounds of envy instead of what should be congrats.

•••
How? Very simple. Bruce was ordering sushi and had an epiphany to check the domain via Name.com.
Meanwhile, a celestial alignment of cosmic proportions was materializing. The final clog in the Creator's clock moved one notch as he hit Submit.

It's the same as when one wins the Lotto.

•••
Good luck, simple as that. I have registered many gems, checked out and found that they could not be registered for one reason or another, that's the other side of the story.

In this case there was obviously a cock up at the registry and there you go. A little like Music.tv registered for $50 if I remember correctly?

If there is a queue for this kind of luck sign me up!

•••
It does not matter who I am. The age of this account on this forum does not equate my domaining experience, and it does not matter either. It is a discussion, what matters is logic and the points raised.

I have been following this story, I see mindless evading all the points raised against his story, I point it out, and whether you like it or not will not change a thing.

Now mindless can choose to answer the questions or not, that's his choice.

•••
Geez. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Not that I feel Bruce is guilty of anything but until someone can actually prove any wrongdoing...real wrongdoing not just circumstantial... I think people need to chill just a tad.

Registries do screw up from time to time. Could be a 'bank error' in his favor.

Anyway, Congratulations, Bruce. Nice find!

Last edited:
•••
.CLUB is the one who needs to explain how a $200,000 asking price became reg fee. It is rather odd for a registry who sees an asset being worth $200K to sell it for reg fee. Was it intentional, was it a registry/registrar glitch?

Doesn't .CLUB have outsider investors? I wonder how they feel about handing over a valuable asset for virtually nothing.

I wonder how the people who paid premiums for other Startup.club domains feel about it.

Regardless, there is so much BS in the domain world I don't blame people for being skeptical and not accepting everything at face value.

Brad

•••
Whoever wrote that can't possibly be a native English speaker. What a hot mess of an article.

•••
Fact of the matter is: It was listed for sale at $200,000
Then someone registers it for reg fee.

That is definitely worth discussing.

•••
Umm. Can you explain how that is a question that can be answered? That is a question for the sake of creating a story. It is two separate registrations, the circumstances of which are completely separate. The facts are out, there is no need to make up facts to create a storyline to fit people's made up narrative.

I lived the narrative and have laid out facts in more detail than necessary.

I find it interesting that everyone is out looking for the gem everyday and want to see it in their cart and when someone gets one they act irrationally out of jealously rather than being glad someone has created something of value which in turn creates value for the new extension.

By that logic anytime someone registers a good name we should all run and scream and say it's not fair and take them all away. But then again maybe logic has went out the window.

I have a clear head on this and have been doing this longer than most that have commented, I wish the best to those looking for the gems out there even of most want them taken away once found.
Your completely misunderstanding.

You've registered a great domain, I'm happy for you.

BUT HOW? Thousands of other people around the globe have tried to register this name, so what happened? I completely understand that it was a hand reg and congrats on that, but how? Did you have contact with someone high up in the .club registry?

everyone who knows anything about domains, will know that something is not matching up.. I also think that it would take a while to develop that kind of site, which is very nice so well done.

•••
Agreed @forge

Honestly I think it's that logic coming from our "own" that has frustrated me the most during this. I really do not take offense to people creating the conspiracies but I get frustrated when people don't realize the argument they are making sounds the same as that of the people who complain that those of us with the vision to grab prime real estate online should not have the right to it when they discover they need it.
But I digress:)
But that needed to be said. I was trying to think, how would this play out if it was credit(dot)com? It already did, though, about 20+ years ago. And all the other great keywords that made a lot of people very rich very fast, but also a lot of envy and bitterness has followed their good fortune. After all, life's very unfair.

Depending on your perspective.

•••
It's sad seeing the newcomers in the domain industry being all bitter and jealous of established veterans, who worked their asses off for years. Want a conspiracy, then wait for the new X-Files movie.

•••
Yeah asking questions and discussing is stupid right, .
No, accusing and insinuating false and unsubstantiated conspiracy theories is what's 'stupid'!!

•••
One might have their own opinion on gTLDs etc. that's not the point here. The argument is over the legitimacy of the hand registration.

It's a legit registration, you can see the screenshot.

It happened on the 14th, the last day of the conference. People are wondering if there was any wink, wink, hey Bruce (from .club registry) why not try hand registering that keyword later on. It just so happens to be an area he's familiar with. Site went up quick, content, logo, everything. I'm sure .club is happy it's not just some parked page but a site. It could be considered good marketing, I'm sure people are going back and trying keywords again. So it's very natural to be skeptical, especially with a keyword like that. One that might be checked on a daily basis.

But they've both posted about it and gave their explanations, still more coming from the registry how it happened.

As far as taking the word from somebody because they're professional (registry), to do that automatically would make somebody a kind of gullible person. Their job is to sell, get publicity etc. I don't put marketing stunts past any of them.

Last edited:
•••
Here's a scenario that might explain what happen and again this is only a theory. There's a particular domain with the .club extension that I've trying to register for some days now on "GoDaddy". this only happens on GD website as far as I am aware.
First the Domain IS available but when I get to check out this message pops up...

""""The basket contained domains that are unavailable. Those domains have been removed."""

So is there a glitch work around??? "NOT that I'm accusing anyone of foul play" but perhaps a lucky person got thru a security hole/flaw.

If you like try it yourself with the same name I've been trying to register and GOOD LUCK if you can get it!!!

I have the screen shoots to prove my situation, not sure how to post images here???.

I don't think it has anything to do with this. Godaddy is often reporting false positives ie. domain availability when in reality the domain is not available. The registration eventually fails , because the registry denies it. It's not possible to exploit this glitch.

•••
I tried to register that exact name months ago. It was not available to register. I am 100% sure of that...

Whois shows that Loan.Club is available to hand reg right now, but I can't register it... It was the same thing with credit.club...

•••
•••
I think you need to accept reality, even if you don't like it. Not only it was hand-registered, but Bruce Marler spent $10.99 on it.
Is someone going to tell me that the registrant of Credits.Club decided that they would just pass on Credit.Club ... Haha, this whole thing is just an absolute joke.

•••
There are already 3-4 threads about it. I was the one who broke the news. Tinfoil hat fans don't like what was said and start a new one every day. That won't change the facts.

•••
Just because I was able to develop it does not mean an end user came along. That type of comment is one creating a story for the sake of creating facts that do not exist.
Why would someone register credits.club months before and not credit.club?

I also tried to register that exact name months ago, along with others that are still not available to reg

•••
What I don't understand is, "an employee made a mistake" that cost the company $xxx,xxx and the owner's reactions is "What a great mistake, let's share it on Twitter !"

•••
Do you know what happened or changed that enabled someone to hand register this domain? Is there like a magic switch that accidentally got triggered by the .club registry?

Has something like this happened before?
Boy, you seem pretty bent out of shape on this. Things happen, names get held back that shouldn't, one registry says a name is taken and another says it's not, etc. etc.. Things fall thru the cracks. Despite what some think, it's not a perfect world. Especially technically!! Just be happy that a fellow domainer found a great nugget, and hope that the same may happen to you someday. (And if so, that others don't also start questioning your good fortune with conspiracy what-if's etc. :rolleyes:)

@mindless - I still think the hulu-hooping had something to do with it! jmo. ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back