IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

McDuke

Top Member
Impact
Tired of annoying web extensions?

Wish it was a .com only world?

Feeling negative, cynical, grumpy, or you just want to join the fun?

Well here is the place for you.

The I Hate gTLD's Thread

pitchforks-torches-mob.jpg

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the pulic knowing .com aside, the biggest hurdle for new gtlds to make their way into the public eye is the registries selling them, hoarding the good ones for themselves, charged ridiculous premium renewals on second rate domains, etc.

would be so much better if domainers did that :)

•••
Last week I sold a city+condos.com domain and noticed that the city.condos domain had been registered the prior week. Due to privacy registration I have no way to know yet if the two are connected but I decided to check and see if they had done anything yet with the .condos domain. It felt really weird typing in ___.condos without a .com on the end.

•••
do we still hate them all or just .xyz ?

•••
•••
•••
•••
I may stand corrected on luxury sale ? Quite sure the other is registry sale

•••
I wonder if this sale of Luxury.estate will turn out to be one of those in-house sales like beauty.cc, which sold for $1,000,000 back in 1999.
Didn't that turn out to be a stunt sale?

I'd rather not be judgemental about new gTLD prospects, these are not the only sales but the two highest sales we know publicly.
People have held good coms since 95/99 before getting $MM for them nowadays.
When internet was nascent, then also there were people decrying those who *bought* domain names.

The whole point is Good Names will always sell. Now or eventually.

•••
http://domainnamewire.com/2014/07/02/new-tld-luxury-estate-sells-for-50k/

Luxury.estate - sold for $50,000
Eat.Club - sold for $20,000

And many more coming.......

Don't listen to new gTLD naysayers, they are living in denial.
Don't go on a shopping spree with them either but try to grab the *very best* of these new gTLDs.

The naysayers tend to be right. As an example, I said many months ago, the sales that do happen are either going to be registry reserved, early bird registrations or day 1 general availability names. If you bought something on day 2 forward, you probably threw your money away. There is a reason those names were not held back or picked up early.

Nice sales but even the naysayers know there are going to be random sales just like any other extension that's out there.

Last edited:
•••

In this business, being skeptical is a good skill set to develop.

•••

In this business, being skeptical is a good skill set to develop.

It doesnt hurt to test the waters and be a little street smart though.

•••
•••
what attracts me is they are the shortest possible word combos ever. This is where i see value, shortest is always better and the dot helps the viewers read the words easier imo.

i understand why you lost interest. I was just grabbing the crumbs early on, but if i had the money to invest and the registries gouged me, or prevented me from getting premium names i wanted, I would have been turned off too.

Now its time for me to whittle down the portfolio and wait for the tsunami to roll back and see how things are rebuilt.

5-6 years we will get a good look at whats going to happen. i think i already know what will happen, this is why i have around 40. :)

•••
Just finished the first website usage survey of the top 10 new gTLDs. While some of the results were expected (.XYZ being absolutely swamped with PPC due to the Netsol offer and the freebie impact on .BERLIN), there are some signs of life in the new gTLDs. The one really strange new gTLD is .PHOTOGRAPHY as it seems to have become quite popular in its niche. It is not a Truckstop TLD but there are lots of redirects.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Real or not, the value of 99% of everything else, reg fee.

Last edited:
•••
While any domain investor should be aware of emerging trends i.e. if a certain type of domain starts generating consistent aftermarket sales, one has to be careful about assuming that a few random sales increase the value of one's portfolio. Every week DNJournal reports dozens of aftermarket sales across a variety of TLDs. Do those sales increase my bank balance? No. Actually it is not unusual to see a domain sale with a similar keyword and wonder why did they pay X for that domain and not even consider mine at a lower price. The reality is if you type in any keyword into SEDO or Godaddy auctions there are dozens if not hundreds of options. With the new TLDs there will be a multiplier effect so it is difficult to comprehend why any new TLD is instantly worth $XXXX when there are or will be so many competing alternatives.

•••
I think value will come with years of development , i think something like face.book or 3dprinter.canon would stick with the critical mass, law of averages always says some sales will be against any trends, b7b, b-7-b, bsevenb It's always interesting to see the 'odd ones' at dnjournal each week

•••
WHy hate em ….. you can even get a mirror domain dup.pub is available !

•••
•••
or this beauty

noitcurtsnoc.construction

Good try but that is not a true mirror //// look at the r and the c and …….
~
come to think of it my p is wrong as well duq.pub ( a Q instead )

Last edited:
•••
99.99% of .Whatevers (gTLDs) are junk.

People that say, "SEE SEE I TOLD YOU" citing obviously excellent gTLDs are just delusional.

Luxury.Estate sold for $50k... really... get out of town!

Do you think the domain Real.Estate might sell for some money too, or possibly the domain Book.Club is worth a few dollars.

:rolleyes:

As a whole, they are junk because how many relevant names could there be versus the possibility of registrations. Essentially they are domain hacks for highly searched phrases with a better SEO value.

This should really END this conversation... everyone knows this by now.

•••
This should really END this conversation... everyone knows this by now.

I would be willing to bet that the number of horrible .whatevers that are registered are easily surpassed by the number of horrible .coms that get registered.

There is a place for decent .whatevers. And, yes, there will be a lot of money wasted on the new extensions, no doubt, but there are opportunities amongst them. But hey, I suppose you can buy businessguru4u.com from the owner if you are dead set on owning a priceless .com. See, I wanted to be a bit of a smarty pants and say, "hey, businessguru4u.com is available, so stick with .com" but that domain was actually registered, which even further validates my point, lol.

•••
Thought for the new TLD fanatics - I just saw a mid $XXXX two-word .COM domain sale. I used to own the equivalent .Net but dropped it as I realized that any potential buyer for that keyword would either want the .COM or if they were going to settle for another TLD would only go for a one-word domain. Apparently the buyer after paying a healthy amount for the .COM hasn't even picked up the .Net for reg fee yet.

•••
"Once I rose above the noise and confusion,
Just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion..."

•••
Some say gTLD's are absurd,
Although they are the shortest combo for two words,
Some ignore it like they are deaf,
To the right or is it to the left,
In time i think they'll be preferred.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back