Dynadot

news The End Of .COM

Spaceship
Watch

Will .XYZ end up like .CO?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    53.5%
  • No

votes
    36.8%
  • Han shot first!

votes
    9.7%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
With the new Google acquisition of ABC.XYZ Lori Anne Wardi recently wrote an interesting article on "The Dawn of the Post Dot Com Era".

https://www.neustar.biz/blog/the-dawn-of-the-post-dot-com-era

It's notable to point out that Lori also was a representative of the .CO extension, when Twitter was using no_url_shorteners and Amazon bought A.co, Z.co, and K.co in 2011.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/17/amazon-buys-the-a-co-z-co-k-co-and-cloud-co-domains/

“We’re not looking for a major brand to switch over to .co, but every day new companies are starting and can’t get the domain name that they want,” says Wardi. “We want to be the domain of the next Twitter and the next Facebook.”

Big companies that bought new extensions; do you think the end result will be the same for .XYZ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is interesting to do a simple search for "end of .COM" in this forum and see that there have been many similar predicitions in the past, and here we are all looking to land the perfect .com again :)

•••
Sure. Very soon dot com will end. Beleive me and go and reg .xyz or .wtf you want.
So that i am free to buy good dot com;s and sell it to end users.

•••
Did anyone watch Silicon Valley the TV show? There the Google of that world was called Hooli and when they started a new venture it was called Hooli.xyz.. I am pretty sure that Google is just making a joke on this by going with abc.xyz as their new venture name..

Joke? Yeah, sure, a multi billion company just do this to make you laugh?!

•••
•••
Joke? Yeah, sure, a multi billion company just do this to make you laugh?!

Wouldn't be the first time and I am sure it ain't going to be the last time ;)

•••
•••
•••
End of .com is near... Sell your all 3 letter and 4 letter .coms to me. I am paying $20 for each 3 letter .com and $5 for each 4 letter .com. Take action fast.... End of .com has arrived... ;):xf.grin:

•••
End of .com is near... Sell your all 3 letter and 4 letter .coms to me. I am paying $20 for each 3 letter .com and $5 for each 4 letter .com. Take action fast.... End of .com has arrived... ;):xf.grin:

Oh, are you offering that much?! Mine are gone already!

•••
Oh, are you offering that much?! Mine are gone already!

You are lucky enough to sell your 3 and 4 letter .coms before the end of .com....

•••
•••
The end of all domains might be near. How many people do you know who enter a domain name versus searching in Google or clicking a link in Facebook or Twitter?

Seriously, when only a minority of people are entering domains in an address bar, something of a chore on a mobile device (which most people use now), the value of having a good name is lessened.

I click on a lot of links to sites from Twitter. I haven't a clue what the domain names are. Could be the worst names imaginable but it doesn't matter.

One thing I hear a lot of on the radio now, is "Search for...[some phrase]", they don't give out the domain. "Search for..." could apply to Google, Facebook, Twitter etc where the business name would be searched for and produce the desired result...not the domain name, and again in this example the domain name is irrelevant.

With the name meaning less now, this will have a negative effect on values, particularly with the plethora of new domains available. It doesn't really matter what your domain name is, most people won't use it.

•••
With the name meaning less now, this will have a negative effect on values, particularly with the plethora of new domains available. It doesn't really matter what your domain name is, most people won't use it.
People were already saying the same thing 15 years ago: domain names would become less relevant because of SEO, because people navigate using search engines etc. This is popular thinking among the webmasters who missed the boat ;)
But more and more domain names are being registered. Obviously people are not convinced they are less important than they used to be.

If you are a business, you have business cards. So you will put your corporate E-mail and website URL on them.
Also, you are going to promote specific URLs, if you do advertising. Nowadays a real business must have its own domain name no matter what. Whether people will use it to find you is a different issue.

Telling people to go to facebook or google is not a good idea, because you are not in control. There is no guarantee you will even get the intended result. Imagine if unscrupulous competitors buy prominent google ads on your keywords and steal your customers.

•••
People were already saying the same thing 15 years ago

Yes, I remember that. I also remember thinking at the time that it had some validity but not so much as I think it has now as more people now connect to the internet from smartphones and browse in a different way.

This is popular thinking among the webmasters who missed the boat

Not being one of them, I wouldn't know. Personally I think it's quite smart thinking.

Nowadays a real business must have its own domain name no matter what.

Yes, absolutely, I am just far from convinced now that it needs to be a premium .com given the way people find websites or connect to them.

I registered a couple of .me names for a venture I was considering. First time ever. The .com and .co.uk names were registered but I was quite happy with the .me . There's a popular map app, maps.me, with over 20 million users. Doesn't seem to have done them any harm. Then of course there's Google using .xyz . If I wanted the .com or .co.uk it would have cost me but I got the .me's for reg fee.

Again, is it crucial to spend huge money on the best .com?? More and more I am thinking "no".

As a matter of fact, in some ways I prefer the .me because it is visually smaller and with the short name I had it looked pretty good.

•••
Ok... Any examples?

overstock with its o.co disaster, Twitter, no_url_shorteners, and Go Daddy, no_url_shorteners.

Google is using ABC.xyz as an umbrella company; after the hoopla dies down (if it already hasn't), no one will give a second thought about it, except domainers.

•••
overstock with its o.co disaster, Twitter, no_url_shorteners, and Go Daddy, no_url_shorteners.

Google is using ABC.xyz as an umbrella company; after the hoopla dies down (if it already hasn't), no one will give a second thought about it, except domainers.

Noone except domainers cares about the flipping LLLL.coms either, still you can make decent money from it.

•••
I click on a lot of links to sites from Twitter. I haven't a clue what the domain names are. Could be the worst names imaginable but it doesn't matter.
Are you sure your computer is not full of viruses right now? :-/

•••
.XYZ can be a perfect extension for startups. It is cheap and there's plenty of good domains available!

.IO is better. Its one character shorter and its hot right now. And no had to resort to giving away .IO domains away in order to build up a following, which IMO really didnt work.

•••
Sure. Very soon dot com will end. Beleive me and go and reg .xyz or .wtf you want.
So that i am free to buy good dot com;s and sell it to end users.

Agree

•••

I think it died down a while ago. ;)

•••
Actually, .co isn't doing too badly. It's a solid ccTLD with some good sales attached to it.

At least it makes some kind of sense, not an alphabet soup and eXamine Your Zipper. connotation..

Any time I've given anyone a DomainName + .CO via telephone or in person, they'd almost always come back to me and say "DomainName + .COM didnt work" or "DomainName + .COM" went to some other web site that has nothing to do with what you told me."

Right there, to me, its a failure. Its a typo.

Last edited:
•••
.COM 1985 - 2015. RIP.

Killed by a .Horse :)

Brad

•••
How to overthrown a King with huge popularity? You can't.

There is only 2 type of domains in the domaining world; one is ".com" and the other is "the rest".
Just try to put any domain name in ".com", it will have better impression than '"The Rest".

i.e:
Poop.com is much better than Poop.xyz
W.com is much better than w.xyz
ABC.com is much better than ABC.xyz

Unless you can assure mobile OSs to remove ".com" button in their keypad, dethroning the king is a long way to go.

Just saying.

There is only 2 type of domains in the domaining world; one is ".com" and the other is "the rest".
Just try to put any domain name in ".com", it will have better impression than '"The Rest".

i.e:

Unless you can assure mobile OSs to remove ".com" button in their keypad, dethroning the king is a long way to go.

Just saying.

•••

i.e:

Just saying.
Would you say a2zvids.com is better than a2zvideos.net...?...just wondering...

•••
Whether .coms will still be around and live on forever or die in the future, I would say it depends on which domain extensions are going to be CONSISTENTLY used by these existing and future giant companies (i.e. Google, Facebook, or the next bigger than Google/Facebook sort of companies).

Not sure if you anyone else is aware that every time a big company like Google makes a 'move' in regards to domain name like the most recent abc.xyz, it sets a trend in the domain name industry and soon or later everyone else would sort of follow suit.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back