Dynadot

news The End Of .COM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Will .XYZ end up like .CO?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    53.5%
  • No

votes
    36.8%
  • Han shot first!

votes
    9.7%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

With the new Google acquisition of ABC.XYZ Lori Anne Wardi recently wrote an interesting article on "The Dawn of the Post Dot Com Era".

https://www.neustar.biz/blog/the-dawn-of-the-post-dot-com-era

It's notable to point out that Lori also was a representative of the .CO extension, when Twitter was using no_url_shorteners and Amazon bought A.co, Z.co, and K.co in 2011.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/17/amazon-buys-the-a-co-z-co-k-co-and-cloud-co-domains/

β€œWe’re not looking for a major brand to switch over to .co, but every day new companies are starting and can’t get the domain name that they want,” says Wardi. β€œWe want to be the domain of the next Twitter and the next Facebook.”

Big companies that bought new extensions; do you think the end result will be the same for .XYZ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.XYZ can be a perfect extension for startups. It is cheap and there's plenty of good domains available!

•••
•••
Really?
Do we have to ask the same question over and over for each domain sale or domain use in an other not com TLD?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Nope. Why? .XYZ is the only extension which have no meaning. Will not hit a King (.com) but will become a second one. My opinion. ( and my hope :) )

•••
Geesh....there is a thread here hashing all this crap out.

•••
•••
You typed too fast, your sentence is incomplete.

The End Of .COMmon sense.

Fixed for you.

•••
Actually, .co isn't doing too badly. It's a solid ccTLD with some good sales attached to it.

At least it makes some kind of sense, not an alphabet soup and eXamine Your Zipper. connotation.

I would be glad if .xyz (or any other new G) would bring attention to the new name spaces (I have a few nice ones, though no xyz), but I'm not optimistic.

Had Google totally rebranded to .xyz, then we might be talking about some serious disruption to the internet, but even the mainstream publications are a bit confused: Is it ABC.xyz or Alphabet.xyz?

The pubs I have read are saying Alphabet and they aren't even mentioning the .xyz.

•••
The thread was more to point out that people who are being featured as saying .COM is going to be replaced are also the same people who have said other extensions were also going to replace .COM in previous years - and were incorrect.

It's all just very self serving lip service.

•••
How to overthrown a King with huge popularity? You can't.

There is only 2 type of domains in the domaining world; one is ".com" and the other is "the rest".
Just try to put any domain name in ".com", it will have better impression than '"The Rest".

i.e:
Poop.com is much better than Poop.xyz
W.com is much better than w.xyz
ABC.com is much better than ABC.xyz

Unless you can assure mobile OSs to remove ".com" button in their keypad, dethroning the king is a long way to go.

Just saying.

•••
Alphabet is just a name on paper that will likely never serve consumers directly. abc.xyz will likely be limited to something similar to what we see there now. Not the type of development that helps make .xyz a household name. The .xyz shill who wrote that article knows that, but she is just a shill so......

•••
.XYZ is the new .NET :)
.Net isn't great but it doesn't deserve to be compared to .xyz. .XYZ sucks. Google would have to spend millions to market .xyz for it to even be considered.

•••
Google did it not because it's a deserving tld, I wonder why there is so much fuzz being created about this, without any solid facts to support, if just a company buys a domain name does that mean all other tlds are done?. There are many stuffs happening in the corporate domain world. xyz will be having some new reg till the news die down and that is it.

•••
Hello,

As long as I live, I'm almost certain that COM will remain KING.

It's obvious that people from other registries will do everything to promote their own extensions as "com killers" or whatever.

•••
Strongly agree !!! or there will be a financial melt down this whole domain business will die ... it will never happen !!!
when you take one prestigious asset and break it down to categories who can tell what is what
there will be anarchy . . .

•••
No it will not die down, It may take some years to build up, most of the registries would be out of business by then. Many of them will move to mobile apps. DOT com will decline but not in the very near future, May be some 20 years from now the young generation who sees .club and .news being used and typed in when he grows and reaches 15 years of age, he will have no problem using dot whatever. IMO

•••
But again there will have to be a comprehensible structure so that people can predict and lead this market

•••
Everything is marketed once something is not a necessity is a necessity for humans due to advertising which educates the need of a product. There are tonnes of examples of marketing a product which we never used before and now we can't live without it. Example, there are products which will add smell to the clothes we wash, actually was it a need for us some years back, No but today due to heavy advertising we think it's a need. Its done through marketing and regular eduction of the crowd same applies here, as more and more things turn to the level where we use 24x7.news or call.mortgage more adoption occurs and would grow, which takes time and effort by the industry.

•••
•••
lol .com vs .xyz nothing to say.

•••
I have to say 1 thing can you see any .xyz website at googles first page i read more then 100 blogs a day at lest did not saw one in those days.

•••
•••
There is no camparison, .xyz is the new .co and thats it

Big G only settled for this name because.....

Disney wouldn't sell ABC.com
BMW wouldn't sell Alphabet.com

•••
Did anyone watch Silicon Valley the TV show? There the Google of that world was called Hooli and when they started a new venture it was called Hooli.xyz.. I am pretty sure that Google is just making a joke on this by going with abc.xyz as their new venture name..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back