Dynadot

news The End Of .COM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Will .XYZ end up like .CO?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    53.5%
  • No

votes
    36.8%
  • Han shot first!

votes
    9.7%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

With the new Google acquisition of ABC.XYZ Lori Anne Wardi recently wrote an interesting article on "The Dawn of the Post Dot Com Era".

https://www.neustar.biz/blog/the-dawn-of-the-post-dot-com-era

It's notable to point out that Lori also was a representative of the .CO extension, when Twitter was using no_url_shorteners and Amazon bought A.co, Z.co, and K.co in 2011.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/17/amazon-buys-the-a-co-z-co-k-co-and-cloud-co-domains/

β€œWe’re not looking for a major brand to switch over to .co, but every day new companies are starting and can’t get the domain name that they want,” says Wardi. β€œWe want to be the domain of the next Twitter and the next Facebook.”

Big companies that bought new extensions; do you think the end result will be the same for .XYZ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would say the end of long .COM domains is over, and the begging of price grow of short 4L (not to mention shorter ones) you can verify that by taking a look to "liquid domains" section here on namepros and see that price of 4L has tripled/quadrupled.

•••
To me Google bought the only nice domain in .xyz.

And did it mostly for fun, I believe. Generally this whole TLD is quite absurd.

•••
I would say the end of long .COM domains is over, and the begging of price grow of short 4L (not to mention shorter ones) you can verify that by taking a look to "liquid domains" section here on namepros and see that price of 4L has tripled/quadrupled.
You never know what the future could bring though. If voice-based communication overtakes typing, then that might change how websites are named. And even now, if you're using voice to text on a phone, it's easier to say fivedollarsales.com than "f-i-v-e-r-r dot com". Anything is possible for the future. Heck, I've heard arguments that domains could be replaced entirely (not very likely for now).

Nevertheless, it does seem like a few things aren't going to come back. Hypens will remain to be hated. Long .com's with little meaning will also fall out of popularity. On a positive note, I think the rush of new TLDs will give everyone to choose a TLD that makes sense. And people will have their favorites. I always like hearing .com at the end of a name, and that sound will at least resonate with today's users. The next generation? Who knows.

As for the question, "Will .XYZ end up like .CO?"... Does anyone really know where .co is headed? The .co debate still rages on. :P

What do I want to see? I'd like to see .mobi gone completely. Mobile sites don't need a separate TLD.

•••
*bursts out laughing*

OF COURSE NOT, Harold Camping lol

Why do ppl ask this stupid question daily?

•••
Saying this for years and still major brands .com. Any worthwhile easy to recall site .com. Any site worth anything .com. It's not about the three letters and the period but about the identity. Study trademarks and identity. It's a brand that has global mindshare.

•••
the .com is going no where

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back