Domain Empire

domains The dotcom frenzy is far from over (.com frenzy)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello everyone,

I saw this article on Domaininvesting.com. Nice read check it out. Thanks Elliot for sharing.
Spot the next big trend, nab the “.com” first and you could make millions for just $10, says Dominic Frisby.

When a prospector strikes gold, it is invariably followed by a mad rush to stake all the land nearby. Once land is staked, there’s often no need to do anything else – no drilling, nothing – you just ride on the coattails of your neighbours. It’s enough to own land in the region. Such is the way with prime real estate. In the late 1990s the internet came into our lives, and something similar happened. There was a rush to register every conceivable domain name.

Those who got the good ones could just sit back and watch them appreciate in value. They didn’t even need to build a website. Owning the name was enough. After the dotcom frenzy passed, I rather deludedly thought that the market for domain names would pass as well, particularly as there were so many other options. After all, if somebody staked DominicFrisby.com, then I could just stake Dominic-Frisby.com, or DominicFrisby.net, or whatever. Surely nobody is going to bother staking all of the conceivable alternatives. How wrong I was.

https://moneyweek.com/the-dotcom-frenzy-is-far-from-over/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes buying dot coms is pretty smart!!!

•••
•••
is it me or prices have gone down? Maybe because of Google algo changes?

•••
is it me or prices have gone down? Maybe because of Google algo changes?

I think quality names are still getting good prices, but some of the random stuff that had less obvious intrinsic value, like random LLLL names, do seem to be drifting down - as far as I can see - but that's my observation / feeling, not scientifically researched!

•••
From the article ...

"BitcoinCash.com was only registered in March this year. It then sold in July for $48,000"

Shows that quality dot-COM names still command a premium.

•••
Wasent that bitcoincash.ORG that sold for 48k?

•••
•••
Sorry to tell you but our industry gets our news from bloggers. Not the most vehement fact checkers. Always take their reports with a pinch of salt.

•••
@Registry Services , It's ok, and it doesn't alter the landscape of the discussion, since .org is on par in value (if not higher than), with an exact match in .com extension for crypto domains. You are being spot on to make a point !

Last edited:
•••
It does alter the landscape of the discussion since this article is solely about .com domains and they use a hand reg .org as their prime example.

Not blaiming the poster but the author should have his writing licence revoked.

•••
One can make gracious exemption, since .org is the .com equivalent in the crypto field, and being that elsewhere .com represents the highest value.

•••
You make no sense. I hope you know that.

For the rest of us it does make a difference what kind of extension is ACTUALLY used. You get the article is about .COM gold rush right. Not domains in general?

(now on ignore)

•••
You make no sense. I hope you know that.

For the rest of us it does make a difference what kind of extension is ACTUALLY used. You get the article is about .COM gold rush right. Not domains in general?

(now on ignore)

Actually I think its an interesting point - although somewhat off-topic!

In certain markets some extensions may be more valuable than COM - like dot-IO in tech start-ups (well at least for the time being!) - I've seen a tech start-up that owns both the COM & IO domains choosing to use the IO as their primary branding.

•••
The article was as much about .com's as it was about the ability to benefit from spotting a new trend, therefore, the example of a bitcoincash fits the general spirit of the article. Add to that the fact of exchangeability of .com with .org for crypto domains in particular, and we are near having a perfect fit.

•••
Its OT and I still fail to see how a .org sale makes the case for hand regging .com domains?

But I guess this day and age anything can be used as an example for anything. Who needs facts and common sense...

•••
Oh and the article was about .com domains not spotting new trends.

The author lets you know this by mentioning ".com frenzy" TWICE in his headline.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back