IT.COM

The Domaining Dictionary

NameSilo
Watch

Bannen

Don't say Huh? too much; pretend you understand.Top Member
Impact
I've been thinking of starting this thread for awhile, so here it is.
Many newbies and pros alike still daily ask about certain terms, so I wanted to create this resource thread to link to anytime anyone asks what a domaining term means.

I'll add definitions as they arise, other members are welcome to write clear, well-written definitions here also, and anyone is welcome to post a question about a term and we will try to write a clear definition for you. *If I get any details wrong here, or something's unclear, feel free to let me know.

Here are a few of the most common terms still asked about, to get us started:

BIN - in sales threads you'll see 'BIN price' or 'buy at BIN'. BIN stands for 'Buy It Now' and is considered the instant selling price if you want to bypass making lesser offers or bidding up in an auction for a domain. Many auctions or 'make offer' sales do not set a BIN, just in case bids/offers rise higher than that BIN amount, but most domainers have a good idea of the top price they want for a domain and will set a BIN price just in case they luck out and a buyer wants the domain enough to buy at BIN and not risk losing it to anyone else.

End User - you often hear of domainers selling domains to 'end users'. This term refers to a buyer who plans to use a domain for considerable development. A corporation or person who has a large vested interest in that website, for business or extensive personal use, does not plan to trade or resell that domain name (unless an irresistable offer arises) so they are considered the 'end of the line' for that domain, the user who has the final use of it and will likely never sell it again. Basically a domain is traded from owner to owner until it finds the ideal end user who will keep it indefinitely. Since the end user has so much interest in the name, they also usually pay much more for that domain than will a reseller who intends to profit on the name by reselling it at a higher price.

Grace Delete - grace deletion refers to the process of deleting a domain name shortly after you registered it. There are many reasons people register domains and then delete them within a few days; commonly it is simply a matter of 'sobering up', ha ha, and realizing it's not as good a domain as you thought yesterday. Other reasons range from discovering the name is based on a trademark, to tasting the domain for traffic and then letting it go.
Grace deletion is not a service offered by all registrars, you don't have a 'right' to delete a domain and get a refund, it's a service volunteered by some registrars. The ones that offer this allow you a 'grace period' - usually a handful of days after registration date but this varies - for you to delete a domain. Some registrars offer an automated system so you can perform the grace delete yourself, while with other registrars you must send their support a request to delete your domain/s.
Note that any registrar can delete your domain (certain extensions anyway, like dot.com) when you ask them to, any time, but the 'grace delete' term refers to you actually getting some or most of your registration fee back, when deleting your domain within a specified (short) amount of time after registering it. Registrars who offer the grace delete service will set their own grace period, their own rate for this service (usually a small percentage of your reg fee), and determine their own process. Grace delete is just a short term for 'register a domain, delete it again within a short time, and get a partial refund back'.

LLL, LLLL, CVCV, CCC, etc etc. - these are domainer-speak, or slang or code or jargon, for certain types of domain name configurations. Please see Post #6 below for full explanation.

Parking - domain parking is a quick, non-development system of pointing your domain name to a simple landing page or pages that offer an automated template website, usually containing some paid advertising links and/or very simplified content, both of these automated. For more description see Post #7 below.

Push - a 'push' is a kind of domain transfer, but is different technically from the word 'transfer' (see definition for 'transfer' below). A push is when you transfer a domain name WITHIN THE SAME REGISTRAR, but to a different user. For example, if your domain is at the registrar Godaddy, you can push it to a different user who also has an account at Godaddy. Each registrar has their own procedure and requirements for a push, but most registrars follow the same basic structure:
A push can be done anytime, even immediately after regging the name; a push is immediate, taking a few seconds to a few minutes until it is in the new user's account; a push is usually free and does not require the new user to renew the name for another year, rather the same expiration date is kept; a push is simple, usually requiring you to know only the new user's username at your registrar, or their username and email, etc.
A push also differs with a transfer in that a push is originated from the CURRENT owner's account, whereas a transfer is initiated from the NEW owner's account. To initiate a push, you select the domain you want to push, then you look around for something that says 'push domain' or 'initiate account change' or something like that, and follow instructions. The new owner must follow their own procedure to accept the push into their account.

Reg Fee - this is an abbreviation of 'registration fee', the cost of registering a domain name. Each registrar has different prices for dot.com's and other TLD's and ccTLD'S, and most good registrars also offer discount e-coupons for different TLD's, fresh regs, renewals, etc. 'Reg Fee' is most commonly seen in the appraisals section, where a name is valued at 'reg fee'. Most reg fees for dot.com's are in the $7 - $12 range.

Reseller - just that: a domainer who trades in domains. Resellers buy domains and do not develop them (unless it is with parking, minisites or minimal development for the purpose of making temporary income from the domain, or increasing its traffic/value for resale). As with any reseller, domainers ideally try to buy very low and sell very high. In a perfect world a reseller will reg a domain or buy it at a cheap reseller price, find the perfect end user for it, and sell high to that end user.

TLD, ccTLD - Top Level Domains; please see Post #4 below for description.

Transfer - a 'transfer' is differentiated from a 'push' (see definition for 'push' above). A transfer is when a domain name is transferred from one registrar TO A DIFFERENT REGISTRAR. The domain can be transferred to your account in the new registrar, or to a different person's account in a new registrar.
Transfer procedures differ for different extensions and different registrars, but they follow some basic structures: a transfer is initiated by the NEW registrant's account, rather than by the CURRENT owner; but the current owner must supply the new owner with what is called an 'EPP code', which you will have to locate or create for the domain being transferred (creating/finding the EPP code varies according to different registrars, but it is necessary to every transfer of a dot.com and many extensions); the domain must also be 'unlocked', if it is locked, by the current registrant; a transfer is not instant like a push, it can take a few days to a few weeks to complete, or longer depending on the quality/efficiency of one or both registrars involved); a push is usually free, while for a transfer you must pay the reg fee at the new registrar, which gives you a year's reg time starting at the transfer date, losing any time still left on the reg at the previous registrar; also, whereas a push can be performed anytime, even immediately after buying or regging a name, a transfer usually has time restrictions - again, this varies by registrar and extension, but whenever you register or buy a dot.com there is usually a 60-day waiting period before you can transfer that domain again to another registrar. I will try write a clear outline of that 60-day waiting period for this dictionary, soon.

x
xx
xxx
x,xxx
etc. - 'x's are used mainly in the appraisals section, to denote rough estimates of how much a domain is worth. Valuing a domain name is a vague process and prices differ wildly according to the domain, the economy, the end users' pockets, and other factors, so exact valuations cannot be given. So domainers use approximations that may include numbers or x's.
The x's are simply substitutes for tens, hundreds, thousands, etc. For example, we may say a domain is worth $300 - 600... or we may put it another way and say it is worth mid-xxx.
We may say it is worth $50 - 100, or mid to high xx. We might say it is worth $8, or high x.
Here is a general outlay:
x = 0 to 9, since it is a single digit.
Low x = 0 - 3; mid x = 4 - 6; high x = 7 - 9.

xx = 10 - 99, since it covers all double-digit numbers.
Low xx = 10 - 30; mid xx = 40 - 60; high xx = 70 - 99.

xxx = 100 - 999, since it covers all three-digit numbers.
Low xxx = 100 - 300, mid xxx = 400 - 600; high xxx = 700 - 999.

This breakdown continues through x,xxx and xx,xxx and xxx,xxx and x,xxx,xxx etc, referring to thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions.
All these are vague approximate ranges.

More definitions to come! Let me/us know if there are any domaining words you want defined.
:)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Added: definitions for 'PUSH' and 'TRANSFER' in the first post

:)

•••
I've added a bunch of definitions to TheDomainDictionary.com in the last day or so. I'll be adding anchors so people can link directly to a definition.

It's still a work in progress, and any suggestions are appreciated.

•••
^^^^ Good start on your dictionary; thanks for posting :)

Also, I don't know when this thread was stickied; whenever that happened, thank you to whoever did it :great:

•••
^^^^ Good start on your dictionary; thanks for posting :)

Also, I don't know when this thread was stickied; whenever that happened, thank you to whoever did it :great:
You can thank Blake, he pointed it out and I only clicked the sticky button. Very helpful for newer domainers and even the occasional Veteran that has temporary memory loss. :)

Eric Lyon

•••
You can thank Blake, he pointed it out and I only clicked the sticky button. Very helpful for newer domainers and even the occasional Veteran that has temporary memory loss. :)

Eric Lyon

Thanks Eric, appreciate it. Repped you and your ass, now off to rep Blake and his ass

•••
Please Help

How long ounce you buy a domain name do you own it??

•••
•••
What is BIN?

In an auction it is the price that no one in their right mind would actually pay.

It is "Buy It Now". i.e. a pre-approved purchase price.

•••
How long ounce you buy a domain name do you own it??

You buy a domain name per year. You can register for one year, two years, anything up to 10 years.

•••
perhaps 'buy it now' should be renamed 'buy the rights now'

•••
What is BIN?

Thanks for asking, Manojks (and thanks defaultuser for reply).
First post is updated with a definition for BIN.

If anyone else has specific domaining terms they want definitions for you're welcome to ask.

•••
Thanks for posting this thread. It answered alot of questions for me!!!!

•••
where most buy deleted domains?

•••
I see bump a lot? I have no idea what bump means. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

•••
I see bump a lot? I have no idea what bump means. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Bump isn't a domaining term, it's a forum term. It means if no one's answered your last post for hours or days, then your post/thread will drop down and down in the list and eventually it's days or weeks of pages back and no one sees it; so you enter another post yourself to 'bump' your thread to the top of the forum or category.

Since you're not posting a comment and all you are doing is bumping your thread so it's current again, most people just say 'bump', instead of saying something like 'anyone going to answer me?' or 'come on, somebody say something!'

Thanks for bumping my thread :)

•••
Two more terms:
Domain tasting - the practice of temporarily registering a domain under the five-day Add Grace Period at the beginning of the registration of an ICANN-regulated second-level domain. During this period, a registration must be fully refunded by the domain name registry if cancelled. This was designed to address accidental registrations, but domain tasters use the Add Grace Period for other purposes (such as type-in or expiring traffic evaluation).

Drop-Catching - the process of registering expired domain names by means of automated systems within a short period of time (even a fraction of a second) after being canceled by the registry. Simply put, the auto-registration of domains in the moment of their deletion. Drop-Catching is performed by various companies known as "drop-catchers".

•••
domain sales thread title terminology
aged - created 11 or 23 months ago
brandable - looks like alphabet soup but harder to pronounce or remember; or, it would be impossible to monetize this domain without infringing on well known trademarks that have been registered since the Truman administration. I don't know the difference between branded and brandable.
development potential - you'd have to be nuts to even think about developing this stinker
dictionary word - no one has seen or heard this one since the middle ages
future theme - remove anything from your mouth before clicking, I was the 5 millionth person to jump on the bandwagon
high quality - revealing the actual name is too painful
high search keywords - arranged backwards so expect zero type-ins during your lifetime
looking for offers - I've been renewing this dog since 2005 and haven't received one bite
must sell - just received UDRP complaint
my best names - this is why I live in my parent's basement
no time to develop - see 'development potential' above
premium - see 'high quality' above
rare - this name needs to drop like a bad transmission
received several offers - in my dreams
sounds like [popular word] - you'd never guess, so that's why I have to tell you
Genius! :D You made my day!

•••
•••
•••
BIG Thank U ... very useful post ...

•••
Really nice post
Very informative.

•••
Sc*mbag = Lowballer
Lowballer = Gives really low offers on your domains.

•••
Very helpfull Thread , good for begginers ...

•••
•••
what is "lol" ? i saw this words all over the forum..

•••
Back