Dynadot

advice Dropcatch Domain Transfer Strategy to Minimize Fees

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain_Stir

Established Member
Impact
I apologize in advance if this was posted in the incorrect place but a few of my past posts on different topics have been diverted/moved to other areas in the message boards by moderators. This is a "newby" question that other newbs can benefit from so maybe it will stick here? I caught on to domaining relatively quickly and have had a few fairly successful sales fresh out of the gate but my downfall was initial registrar choice. These were hand regs so not a big deal. Now my attention shifted to Deletes and Pending Deletes but I don't want to run into a similar conundrum.

Question: What is the best strategy for minimizing transfer fees once you've successfully dropcatched(?) dropcaught(?) a pending delete domain? Deleted domains are just a matter picking registrar of choice to reg it, So I got that. This is more specific to pending deletes and services for catching them.

For instance 1. your primary goal is to actually catch it. So you use one of the services available for that domain (abridged list below).
  • Dynadot
  • DropCatch
  • GoDaddy
  • Hexonet
  • Namecheap
  • NameJet
  • One.com
  • Park
  • Snapnames
  • Uniregistry
2.Once caught do you prefer to leave it with them or do you transfer or push the domain to a different registrar where you manage them?

If your short term goal is to simply park it, while you determine the best next steps, with the intent to eventually sell it, what are your preferences/advice?

I know you want to pick a domain investor friendly registrar that will allow you to "push" a domain to users with an "existing" account with that registrar to avoid paying extended registration fee, but is there an intermediate step that I am missing? There are a few that I am looking at but I want to have an idea of what I should expect by using one of the services. I just don't want to get stuck with the wrong registrar.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If i got a domain via Snapnames or Godaddy, i always transfer it away immediately after the 60 day lock ends. Because Snapnames sends domains to NetSol and other nightmare shitholes. And Godaddy keeps domains inhouse and i actively don't like them. If the domain is not so valuable however, i leave it there because why to add another $9 to its cost.

With all other dropcatchers, i just let the domain sit there until the next yearly renewal, and then i see maybe it's worth to transfer it elsewhere.

•••
  • Dynadot
  • DropCatch
  • GoDaddy
  • Hexonet
  • Namecheap
  • NameJet
  • One.com
  • Park
  • Snapnames
  • Uniregistry

Out of the above, afaik, Namecheap and Uniregistry don't dropcatch. No idea about one.com so cannot comment on them. GD and Dynadot dropcatching is pretty bad. I'd focus on NJ, SN and Dropcatch out of all of the above. Maaaybe, Dynadot. Have never had success with Hexonet but I've also used them very rarely so I don't know how good they are. Park is only for ccTLDs and they're pretty good for their supported ccTLDs.

2.Once caught do you prefer to leave it with them or do you transfer or push the domain to a different registrar where you manage them?
Usually leave them at the registrar. Only exception being Network Solutions where I prefer to transfer out (although, I don't really get around to doing it very frequently).

If your short term goal is to simply park it, while you determine the best next steps, with the intent to eventually sell it, what are your preferences/advice?

Check what is the parking potential of the domain for ~7-10 days and then set them up with Undeveloped with no parking revenue potential.

I know you want to pick a domain investor friendly registrar that will allow you to "push" a domain to users with an "existing" account with that registrar to avoid paying extended registration fee, but is there an intermediate step that I am missing? There are a few that I am looking at but I want to have an idea of what I should expect by using one of the services. I just don't want to get stuck with the wrong registrar.

All registrars above (except one.com who I don't know about) support push. So that part is usually sorted.

•••
My current routine:

Catch names with Namejet or Snapnames

They go to whatever registrar

Park with Voodoo, set to make offer at Sedo

Once the 60 days is up, transfer them to GoDaddy, because that's where all my domains are at, most popular registrar, cheapest for me, easy integration into their marketplace

Then set them up to Make offer at GoDaddy and Afternic

•••
Out of the above, afaik, Namecheap and Uniregistry don't dropcatch. No idea about one.com so cannot comment on them. GD and Dynadot dropcatching is pretty bad. I'd focus on NJ, SN and Dropcatch out of all of the above. Maaaybe, Dynadot. Have never had success with Hexonet but I've also used them very rarely so I don't know how good they are. Park is only for ccTLDs and they're pretty good for their supported ccTLDs.

Usually leave them at the registrar. Only exception being Network Solutions where I prefer to transfer out (although, I don't really get around to doing it very frequently).

Check what is the parking potential of the domain for ~7-10 days and then set them up with Undeveloped with no parking revenue potential.

All registrars above (except one.com who I don't know about) support push. So that part is usually sorted.

Some of the ones included in that list were from expireddomains list of options for specific entries. I just included them in case i missed something. This is very helpful though. Thanks!

•••
My current routine:

Catch names with Namejet or Snapnames

They go to whatever registrar

Park with Voodoo, set to make offer at Sedo

Once the 60 days is up, transfer them to GoDaddy, because that's where all my domains are at, most popular registrar, cheapest for me, easy integration into their marketplace

Then set them up to Make offer at GoDaddy and Afternic

Concise. Love it! Thanks again!

Hearing pretty good things about namesilo but then you dont get the added bonus of GD auctions. point taken. Trying to avoid spacing them out between several diff registrars.

You prefer voodoo over parkingcrew? I've had decent luck with the latter.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back