Dynadot

discuss The Big Lie in the Domain Industry, Traffic Stats

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

oldtimer

SaveThyWorld.com Let's not leave anyone behindTop Member
Impact
I have been mainly using Sedo and Godaddy parking and sales landers for the past few months and was kind surprised by the number of unique visitors that I was getting considering the very low number of offers or lack thereof for the majority of my domains. Even the offer page views at Sedo were way up there for a lot of my domains while receiving no offers at all on them.

At Sedo I had about 450k unique visitors in the past 12 months on my portfolio of around 1000 domains and some of my domains had consistent offer page views over 50 per month without receiving any offers.

Godaddy doesn’t currently offer stats on sales landers, but they provide very inflated traffic stats on Godaddy Auctions.

Finally I decided to use Parking Crew for my domains and from what I can see the traffic stats for unique visitors and offer page views seem to be more realistic.

I like the fact that Parking Crew still allows me to use Afternic and Sedo sales landers which I like to switch around between occasionally.

My question is if Parking Crew can provide true stats why can’t Sedo and Godaddy and although most experienced domainers know that these stats are mostly from bots, but isn’t that going to be misleading to end users or even new domainers who rely on these false stats to make a domain purchase.

This situation can not be allowed to go on any longer.

We need to have true and accurate stats throughout the Domain Industry.

IMO

Thread Rules:

Everyone’s opinion is welcomed as long as it’s on topic and that things are kept on the professional, constructive, and respectful side. Constructive criticism for the purpose of pointing out the flaws in the domain Industry is allowed, but keep all negative, insulting, rude, and hateful comments out of this thread.

Disclaimer: I am not afflicted with or work for anyone in the Domain Industry.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I too had this with sedo. Crazy amounts of so called views but no offers. I eventually pulled all my domains away from sedo as it felt like I was being lied too

•••
I too had this with sedo. Crazy amounts of so called views but no offers. I eventually pulled all my domains away from sedo as it felt like I was being lied too
I personally wouldn't take all my domains out of Sedo or Godaddy since they are currently the largest platforms and they produce a lot of sales.

But we need to demand that these Industry leaders start providing true and accurate stats from this point on.

The way that I look at this is that if they or anyone else choose to continue providing false or inflated stats after this warning then they are intentionally trying to deceive the consumers.

This is a very serious matter, so everyone better start taking it very seriously.

IMO

•••
There is no link between domain traffic and sales.

Traffic is only a useful metric for parking revenue.

•••

Mine were parked at sedo and bodis, thousands of views but zero revenue 🤷

•••
I think no way any registrar or sales lander can avoid bot traffic in their statistics record .
even when using google analytics and with filter you still get lots of bot traffic ,
Thats my opinion from long time Observing the domains traffic .

•••

True and accurate traffic stats can show the level of interest in a domain name.

Such data can be used to better sort, trim, and price our domains so why should we be deprived of this info when Gosaddy themselves use traffic stats to manage their own portfolio better such as those domains that they hold throgh Namefind and sell through Afternic.

If it's good for them to have this data for managing their own domains then it should be good for us too to have access to true and accurate traffic stats at Afternic.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
I think no way any registrar or sales lander can avoid bot traffic in their statistics record .
even when using google analytics and with filter you still get lots of bot traffic ,
Thats my opinion from long time Observing the domains traffic .

So how does Parking Crew filter all those bots and junk traffic, because their traffic stats seem to be very accurate and it's also in real time so you can see the changes in traffic as they occur.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
So how does Parking Crew filter all those bots and junk traffic, because their traffic stats seem to be very accurate and it's also in real time so you can see the chsnges in traffic as they occur.

IMO

dont rely on it %100 , Even though it can include some bots traffic what you see on parking crew .

Simply if the visitor stay longer than 1 minute in avg. session duration you can assume it is real traffic , but still no guarantee .

1651102245942.png

•••
dont rely on it %100 , Even though it can include some bots traffic what you see on parking crew .

Simply if the visitor stay longer than 1 minute in avg. session duration you can assume it is real traffic , but still no guarantee .

What about the 'offer page views' that Parking Crew shows for the domains listed for sale,

I kind of like that as a better metric anyways.

IMO

•••
One man's treasure is another man's garbage. Stats are irrelevant.

•••
With bots and all that no stats are reliable and as mentioned have nothing to do with sales, a pending sale, if you should keep it, if you should buy it and on and on.

Most of my sales have come from low traffic. Others have high traffic for months on end and remain unsold. I don’t put alot if any weight on views/traffic.

•••
Same goes with reported sales,
One man's treasure is another man's garbage. Stats a

With bots and all that no stats are reliable and as mentioned have nothing to do with sales, a pending sale, if you should keep it, if you should buy it and on and on.

Most of my sales have come from low traffic. Others have high traffic for months on end and remain unsold. I don’t put alot if any weight on views/traffic.
I totally agree, same with reported sales stats. Most go unreported but when they do, they don't include afternic or Dan. So the stats are pretty irrelevant. Just my view 😬

•••
For those who say that stats are irrelevant,

Does that also apply to the stats for the "offer page views" too,

I mean a person or robot has to take an additional step to get to the "offer page" usually by clicking on the link at the bottom or top of the landing page that says "buy this domain" or "make an offer" or "contact the owner",

I don't like to rely on one particular stat or source, but having all these different data I believe can help in determining the level of interest in a domain name.

As with any portfolio 75% of it might be considered to be garbage or at least mediocre and so I like to have as much data as possible from as many different sources that can help me trim my portfolio so that I end up with the top 25%

It's funny for Godaddy and others to use all these stats and data themselves in evaluating and pricing their own domain names and then tell us that those are irrelevant.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
My question is if Parking Crew can provide true stats why can’t Sedo and Godaddy and although most experienced domainers know that these stats are mostly from bots, but isn’t that going to be misleading to end users or even new domainers who rely on these false stats to make a domain purchase.
Hi
the question starts with an assumption that PC stats are true, so any conclusion is not factual.
also, PC does not monitor traffic like bodis and some others, so what you think is true, may not be.

We need to have true and accurate stats throughout the Domain Industry.
Hi
i focus more on the revenue.
how one platform gauges your stats compared to another, can be seen when you hold the same names for extended periods of time.
however, fluctuations will occur due to nature/subject of any respective name

we need to demand that these Industry leaders start providing true and accurate stats from this point on.
Hi

how you gonna demand something from somebody, who is basically providing a free service, that benefits you?

offer views don't mean :poop: until somebody submits an offer or purchases at BIN price.
it may allude that the name is popular or draws curiosity, but unless it's earns some $, then you got nothing but some numbers to look at.

imo...

•••
how you gonna demand something from somebody, who is basically providing a free service, that benefits you?
There is some grounds for demanding as such,

This whole problem started when Registrars and Registries started getting in direct competition with the Registrants (their own customers) for domain names.

I like to know how many people have taken the additional step to get to the offer page for a certain domain name, the fact that they didn't make an offer is not important here, what's important is that they showed enough interest in the domain name to get to the offer page and that can tell me a lot as far as maybe putting a Buy Now price on that domain or to adjust the Buy Now price for the domains that already have that.

IMO

•••
At Sedo I had about 450k unique visitors in the past 12 months on my portfolio of around 1000 domains and some of my domains had consistent offer page views over 50 per month without receiving any offers. ...

Did you talk to your SEDO account rep about the stats? I spoke to mine several years ago and they were able to filter most of the bots. My traffic and ppc conversion rates align well.

Last edited:
•••
I like to know how many people have taken the additional step to get to the offer page for a certain domain name,
Hi

it seems you already know the answer to question above, from quote below

450k unique visitors in the past 12 months on my portfolio of around 1000 domains and some of my domains had consistent offer page views over 50 per month

what's important is that they showed enough interest in the domain name to get to the offer page and that can tell me a lot as far as maybe putting a Buy Now price on that domain or to adjust the Buy Now price for the domains that already have that.

Hi

you can take that "perceived interest" and do any of the choices you want to make.

it's part of a collective of metrics that a domainer might use to adjust pricing or change platforms, to improve their str or their ppc earnings.

raising or lowering prices or using 'make offer' setting is all part of what we have to do,
to keep pace with the changes in demand, trends, sales, etc.

imo...

•••
Most of traffic is worthless ( bot , scrapper , etc) , we can migrate into cloudflare , configure firewall / WAF properly and we will know the real traffic for our domains.

Last edited:
•••
Well for now I am happy with getting the stats for my domains through Parking Crew, so I am not that much worried about myself,

But I am hoping that someday soon we can have certain Industry wide standards for Traffic Stats so that no matter which platform we are using we can rest assured that we are getting the exact and accurate statistics for our domains.

IMO

•••
I hope I m not off topic.
I tried SEDO parking for first time, starting 20 days ago.
The first results was promising.
After 2 weeks with an average RPM at 0.75, the last 4 days a have a major drop at 0.05.
I have sent 2 emails in sedo's support asking for the reason, or if this is my fault somehow.
The first answer I received was a generic mail about the factors that affect traffic, like the target group or the geographic regions. Which is completely irrelevant because there is a 90% drop in exactly the same domains.
The second answer was about a corrector that happens every 24-48 hours that filters out invalid traffic, and could be a possible reason...
I don't know what should I have understand from these answers, but I clearly haven't.
I would appreciate an opinion

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 120
•••
Traffic really only matters if there is revenue. Whether an existing website, type-in for PPC, etc.

Most end users want their exact brand and don't care about the traffic.

•••
I hope I m not off topic.
I tried SEDO parking for first time, starting 20 days ago.
The first results was promising.
After 2 weeks with an average RPM at 0.75, the last 4 days a have a major drop at 0.05.
I have sent 2 emails in sedo's support asking for the reason, or if this is my fault somehow.
The first answer I received was a generic mail about the factors that affect traffic, like the target group or the geographic regions. Which is completely irrelevant because there is a 90% drop in exactly the same domains.
The second answer was about a corrector that happens every 24-48 hours that filters out invalid traffic, and could be a possible reason...
I don't know what should I have understand from these answers, but I clearly haven't.
I would appreciate an opinion
Hi

low amount of clicks and low epc, usually means the names are low quality for parking.
i'd be interested in knowing the actual domains, as only then, can a reason be seen.

imo...

•••
Hi

low amount of clicks and low epc, usually means the names are low quality for parking.
i'd be interested in knowing the actual domains, as only then, can a reason be seen.

imo...
I don't argue, these are low quality domains for sure!
I registered a bunch of .ru.com names, quite cheap, and parked them to see what will happen.
If that was their performance from the beginning, I wouldn't bother.
But the major performance change is that confuses me.
Average RPM dropped 90% and stayed there...

•••
But the major performance change is that confuses me.
Average RPM dropped 90% and stayed there...
Hi

the rpm probably was adjusted down, after review.
since the quality of the domains are low, then the advertisers, if any, won't pay much for clicks on those pages, for those names.
origination of traffic also plays key role in epc/rpm,
including whether it is dns traffic or redirected or "paid for traffic" to that name or link traffic from other websites.

imo...

•••
Back