IT.COM

The best method to analyze a domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello all, :)

What's the best way to analyze domain names before buying/registering them?

What's the most important think? Traffics or a good domain name?

Ex:If i want to buy an expiring domain name,what should i analyze first? Domain name of traffics? If traffics,what tools should i use?

Is Alexa traffic reference is so important? and how to check if it has a solid backlinks or not?

Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It would depend why are you buying the name.

If you plan on developing the name it's nice to have some incoming links to start you off, but they might not be quality links anyway.

If just for resale is all you want out of the domain the traffic probably doesn't matter much unless it is a lot and can make you some money.

Alexa isn't very important just for domains, but if you plan on developing and selling a site it may matter to potential buyers.

I use urltrends.com for stats. They do a good summary there of most stats.

•••
Ben42 said:
It would depend why are you buying the name.

If you plan on developing the name it's nice to have some incoming links to start you off, but they might not be quality links anyway.

If just for resale is all you want out of the domain the traffic probably doesn't matter much unless it is a lot and can make you some money.

Alexa isn't very important just for domains, but if you plan on developing and selling a site it may matter to potential buyers.

I use urltrends.com for stats. They do a good summary there of most stats.

Thank you for the reply.One more interesting thing in domain biz is domain name typo.

The question is how much money can we make through domain name typo? Like www.wwwfriendster.com? It's legal? How about TM issues?

•••
I hear the resale price for mispelled domains are on the decline, about the trademark issues you would want to check the USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office) and to check the the stats of a domain on iWebTool.com/tools . If you want more domain tools and webmaster resources, i'm currently building a page full of sites, check it out click here

•••
Some more questions:

When are we ready to offer our domain names? After we have a good list of domain names? or after we have a good traffic coming in?

It's possible if we just regged a domain name today and the next day we sell it for 10x or 100x registration value?

Who are the majority buyers of domain names?

Are they are the big and powerful company or a reseller like 'us' ?

Thank you.

•••
rontol said:
It's possible if we just regged a domain name today and the next day we sell it for 10x or 100x registration value?
That is not so easy to happen nowadays. A domainer's dream!

•••
•••
they both sound ok...reg fee max

•••
Anyone...care to give more tips? hehe

•••
I am a newbie too. I am looking domains at snapnames to develop new siets on them. What i am looking for are domain age, pagerank and backlinks but i will develop my own program to look at these (+ alexa rank) in more detail easily.

•••
•••
anyone have ever sold their domain via Buydomains.com ?

It's a good service? do you guys know other big company like them?

Thank you.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back