Dynadot

The Bahamas / Hurricane Dorian

NameSilo
Watch

blockhead

TruckerTop Member
Impact
Hoping for safety, healing, and peace for those impacted by this devestating storm, which has turned parts of the Bahamas (like Abaco, Grand Bahama, Freeport) into a scene of total destruction these past few days.

"It’s the strongest storm on record to occur east of Florida in the Atlantic and so far north."

Not only was it a massive Category 5 storm (meaning sustained winds of 185 mph), it essentially stopped and sat over top these islands for many hours on end, slowing to a pace of 1 mph.

So many people became trapped inside their roofs for days, waiting to be rescued. Some had at least some level of cell phone reception throughout the ordeal and were able to reach out to family and friends for help, but of course many others weren't so fortunate. Some of that came down to the providers people had; I understand that newcomer Aliv held up very well, while BTC collapsed - and likely cost lives.

It's been inspiring to see via twitter the rescue efforts that have been ongoing from the start (by many brave residents initially, and more officially as the weather conditions have improved). So many Bahamians (and others) have also been working tirelessly via social media orchestrating rescue attempts, creating lists of names, broadcoasting pleas for help and information, and contacting rescuers on behalf of those trapped or missing.

From what I understand, about 60 percent of Grand Bahama island (population ~51k) was under water through this storm. Here's a satellite image that shows large areas of the Freeport area underwater. (The yellow lines are roads, and white is the coastline.)

This is going to require a long and massive recovery effort for these islands. Even if they themselves escaped or evacuated -- tens of thousands of people literally lost everything they own in one day. Some also lost family members or even their entire family. Many are still frantically trying to track down loved ones and have no idea if their own children or parents or siblings are safe.

I am sure we must have some domainer friends living in these areas also. Hoping for the best for them and their friends and families.

freeport.jpg

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Does Namepros have any members down there? Everyone OK???

Some relief organizations working with the survivors:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/03/reader-center/hurricane-dorian-how-to-help.html
This Newsweek article mentions several Florida groups, including one run by FL rep Shevrin Jones, to collect and deliver urgently needed supplies to them:
https://www.newsweek.com/hurricane-dorian-relief-charity-donate-1457255

These people have lost everything. Pick an organization, pass on that crappy domain you were gonna reg today and put a few $$ to good use helping folks out instead.

Last edited:
•••
Entire islands are in total ruin, but I don't think the message is getting out.

bump for awareness

I'm told by Bahamians that this is a very good organization for donations:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/headknowles-emergency-funds

Every little bit helps. Thousands and thousands of people have lost EVERYTHING.

•••
Back