IT.COM

information The Appraisal scammer is on the move again..

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Rammbo

Blockchain DomainsTop Member
Impact
D053BEBD-6407-4382-9291-C8C0CD393120.png
Received email from the guy @ the same email [email protected] who posted in the Domains wanted thread looking for new g’s and it turned out to be an appraisal scam. The email I received today is identical to a newly opened domains wanted thread here . Maybe this guy is obsessed with the member here that he has made reference to and seems to be copying. Or maybe he’s a fan....Very creepy !!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Show attachment 121991 Received email from the guy @ the same email [email protected] who posted in the Domains wanted thread looking for new g’s and it turned out to be an appraisal scam. The email I received today is identical to a newly opened domains wanted thread here . Maybe this guy is obsessed with the member here that he has made reference to and seems to be copying. Or maybe he’s a fan....Very creepy !!!
it's the exact same wording used in 'lolwarriors' request in request domains

•••
it's the exact same wording used in 'lolwarriors' request in request domains
Yes .... i wonder who is the person behind this [email protected] ...
He changed his name in the email to something different from before but the email address is the same.

Last edited:
•••
Show attachment 121991 Received email from the guy @ the same email [email protected] who posted in the Domains wanted thread looking for new g’s and it turned out to be an appraisal scam. The email I received today is identical to a newly opened domains wanted thread here . Maybe this guy is obsessed with the member here that he has made reference to and seems to be copying. Or maybe he’s a fan....Very creepy !!!

0 connection to him:xf.rolleyes: please..

pathetic

•••
0 connection to him:xf.rolleyes: please..

pathetic
I’m not saying he does or does not but i would be really creeped out if some guy/ was hanging around here mimicking everything I did... it’s stalkerish ....

•••
•••
5ED9EA42-C6B1-4B37-87A7-D5ED81D7EC8C.jpeg
The first time he was Marek and Today he was Marul. Maybe brothers

•••
johnnie018
Marul Hajing
lolwarriors
Marek E c k h a u s..more
Multiple Ac on Namepros

•••
•••
Yes .... i wonder who is the person behind this [email protected] ...
He changed his name in the email to something different from before but the email address is the same.
What I observed in lolwarrior's appraisal thread here at namepros is that johnnie goes on disliking all the appraisal requests while liking the appraisals made by lolwarrior and apparently he is the only one liking them!

Last edited:
•••
What I observed in lolwarrior's appraisal thread here at namepros is that johnnie goes on disliking all the appraisal requests while liking the appraisals made by lolwarrior and apparently he is only one liking them!

They're obviously the same person!!1

•••
What I observed in lolwarrior's appraisal thread here at namepros is that johnnie goes on disliking all the appraisal requests while liking the appraisals made by lolwarrior and apparently he is the only one liking them!

There is even more evidence of then being the same person. I think it's 95% clear that they are the same person.

Mods should look into this as it was ignored last time.

•••
Unlikely the same person.

Multiple individuals with the same agenda, most probably.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have training sessions on how to profit from whatever they're trying to pull off here.

imo

•••
I remember that Bob was trying to leave np for a short while because he got involved in a heated debate about an appraisal service that lolwarrior was offering

https://www.namepros.com/threads/shout-out-to-bob-hawkes.1137920/page-2
Just to prevent the spread of misinformation (I am sure not deliberate) I wanted to clarify that my comment was made considering many things but the thread that most people associated it with was a hot debate but not on topic of appraisal services (and mods quickly removed anything any reasonable person would regard as offensive in that thread).

I agree with all those in this thread who express view that we should be highly concerned about attempts to mislead and unfairly discredit anyone on NPs. Whether a copycat, multiple accounts, or a group, I agree with those that say it is creepy. I hope that mods can quickly and effectively deal with it although if I understand correctly from this thread this time it is email rather than NPs moderated DM so they may not be able to unless it is linked to a marketplace thread.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
I know that lolwarriors says he has nothing to do with this, but the only person who seems to benefit from this nonsense is lolwarrior.

Why is this troll only saying ngTLD/New tld's when he can pull the same scam for any TLD and send the target to a different appraiser ?

This whole thing stinks like a 3-Card Monte game in NYC.

Hey @lolwarrior , if you are not part of this scam, put up a warning about this scam on your website. Otherwise innocent people are going to be paying you for useless appraisals.

I think your reputation here is riding on how you handle this.

Last edited:
•••
Unlikely the same person.

Multiple individuals with the same agenda, most probably.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have training sessions on how to profit from whatever they're trying to pull off here.

imo

the sad part is that mods can't ban them because it's not illegal.

Unless they promise to buy your domain post-appraisal, they're simply offering appraisal services while sneakily pretending to be interested in your domain.

Sad that it's not illegal.

•••
If someone has contacts with deep web organizations so please find out about this mail address:
[email protected]
These types of scams run on the internet from 2010, and i just wonder when i came to know that they scam people freely and deal in cryptocurrency which is untraceable so no one is able to hack them.

•••
Has any established member actually sold a domain to this Johnnie character ? He says he bought a few, but so far I see no proof.

•••
I know that lolwarriors says he has nothing to do with this, but the only person who seems to benefit from this nonsense is lolwarrior.

Why is this troll only saying ngTLD/New tld's when he can pull the same scam for any TLD and send the target to a different appraiser ?

This whole thing stinks like a 3-Card Monte game in NYC.

Hey @lolwarrior , if you are not part of this scam, put up a warning about this scam on your website. Otherwise innocent people are going to be paying you for useless appraisals.

I think your reputation here is riding on how you handle this.
@NYJimbo thank you for notifying me about this thread. This is, unfortinatelly, third thread in few days where my name, business and brand appeared in section with name "Scam", in the title, due to actions of someone named "Johnie". Whether their actions are well intentioned (some hardcore fan) or if this is something different, I simply can not conclude from the evidence, so far.

I obviously do not agree and do not appreciate your conclusions about "innocent people paying for useless appraisals". As you, I have only 24 hours in a day, and I am getting dozens of phone calls, emails, Linkedin messages, etc from people wanting to discuss "some kind of cooperation" for their new gTLDs, and usually it is that I spend half an hour on a phone, just to learn at the that person basically wants my opinion on their domains. It happend to me numerous times. So the appraisal service is kind of block I implemented - if someone really want / need something from me, they can pay for it. Otherwise, if that is not that urgent or important, they can submitt their names to my free appraisal thread here on Namepros, where I try to do as much as I can, or use other sources to get some information on their names.

I like your idea of disclaimer which I think is very useful, given circumstances, so I have just implemented it, adding warning text to our appraisal section like following:

Important: if you are a domain investor or broker, and someone (potential buyer) conditioned a sale of a domain name you own or broker by ordering our appraisal, we will not provide this services for you. Never pay for an appraisal if that should be a condition of a sale.

I guess that should be sufficient.

Paypal buttons were also removed, so if someone wants to order an appraisal, they will need to write me personally.

In general. I am here at Namepros as I want to discuss my favourite topic, new gTLDs. I am also doing tons of appraisals for free, have lot of good friends here, and enjoy social interaction a lot. But please understand I am only responsible for my own behaviour, and I am not responsible for behaviour of others. If above measures I did for appraisals are not sufficient, I am absolutely ready to hear your opinions as of what do do or improve. Thanks for understanding :)

Last edited:
•••

The appraisal scam works in such a way that only the appraiser gets money from it. You have 2 or 3 parties.
You have the unsuspecting seller of the domain, then you have the fake buyer and the appraiser, who are typically the same person. If they are not the same person, then the fake buyer works for the appraiser.

The fake buyer asks to buy a shitty domain from the seller for a ridiculous price, but first he must get the domain appraised at a specific site. If the seller bites and gets the domain appraised, the stops getting a response from the fake buyer. Thus, the appraiser has earned whatever amount he demands for his appraisals.

This scam works ONLY in the appraiser's favor. It makes ZERO sense that a scammer would link to your appraisal service as you would get the money from it, not him. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that you are not the scammer (or that the scammer works for you). How would you explain the situation if this was not the case?

This is all ignoring the fact that johnnie only likes your appraisals and downvotes others, that he made buyer request threads shilling nGTLDs (i.e. offering impossible amounts for two word nGTLDs), something that you specialize in, your similar writing style etc.

To put things into perspective, this is equivalent to the following situation:

person 1 calls person 2 as a microsoft support person. Person 1 says that person 2's PC is infested with data-threatening viruses and must pay a certain amount to person 3 to get his PC cleaned up and to save all his data. Person 2 then sends a payment to person 3 and finds that person 1 has stopped responding and has cut all contact.

You are saying that you are person 3 in this story and you have nothing to do with person 1. I'm sorry but that seems highly unlikely.

•••
The appraisal scam works in such a way that only the appraiser gets money from it. You have 2 or 3 parties.
You have the unsuspecting seller of the domain, then you have the fake buyer and the appraiser, who are typically the same person. If they are not the same person, then the fake buyer works for the appraiser.

The fake buyer asks to buy a sh*tty domain from the seller for a ridiculous price, but first he must get the domain appraised at a specific site. If the seller bites and gets the domain appraised, the stops getting a response from the fake buyer. Thus, the appraiser has earned whatever amount he demands for his appraisals.

This scam works ONLY in the appraiser's favor. It makes ZERO sense that a scammer would link to your appraisal service as you would get the money from it, not him. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that you are not the scammer (or that the scammer works for you). How would you explain the situation if this was not the case?

This is all ignoring the fact that johnnie only likes your appraisals and downvotes others, that he made buyer request threads shilling nGTLDs (i.e. offering impossible amounts for two word nGTLDs), something that you specialize in, your similar writing style etc.

To put things into perspective, this is equivalent to the following situation:

person 1 calls person 2 as a microsoft support person. Person 1 says that person 2's PC is infested with data-threatening viruses and must pay a certain amount to person 3 to get his PC cleaned up and to save all his data. Person 2 then sends a payment to person 3 and finds that person 1 has stopped responding and has cut all contact.

You are saying that you are person 3 in this story and you have nothing to do with person 1. I'm sorry but that seems highly unlikely.
Unfortunatelly, you are asking me to explain a behaviour of someone who I do not know.

Imagine you are running appraisal service on your website, and this happened to you (where end-result is, that your business is 3 times in a single month in a thread with "Scam" in it's title, people are sending you emails, messages, questions about what is going on) - what would you personally do?

There is nothing you can do effectively. You can put disclaimer to your site, which I just did, and that is it.

Or do you have some other realistic idea how to prove, that you are actually NOT connected to someone else? :)

•••
Unfortunatelly, you are asking me to explain a behaviour of someone who I do not know.

Imagine you are running appraisal service on your website, and this happened to you (where end-result is, that your business is 3 times in a single month in a thread with "Scam" in it's title, people are sending you emails, messages, questions about what is going on) - what would you personally do?

There is nothing you can do effectively. You can put disclaimer to your site, which I just did, and that is it.

Or do you have some other realistic idea how to prove, that you are actually NOT connected to someone else? :)

Have you asked the mods yet to take a look? They should be able to provide more info and as it's actually hurting your business I see no reason for them not to remove this Johnny from NP permanently.

•••
Have you asked the mods yet to take a look? They should be able to provide more info and as it's actually hurting your business I see no reason for them not to remove this Johnny from NP permanently.

I agree. They could look at IP logs and other info which might help conclude things.

•••
The mods are informed, but I guess what was reported here happened outside NP, if I understood correctly.

Last edited:
•••
Lolwarrior / Marek is a good person. 100% trusted. I think that someone is trying to sabotage him.

OP i got the same email. Just ignore..

•••
Back