IT.COM

discuss Thank you Radix, NamesCon(.)Online and NamePros

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Anyone here go to the NamesCon Online conference? While I didn't, I plan to go later because it was virtually online. So why would I be thanking Radix? Because Radix is the registry behind the extension .online.

Here is what the good folks at NamesCon said about Radix;

"The Right Extension for the Right Message"

NamesCon also said this;

"the .online extension remains a total no-brainer for us! We love .online because it both conveys and strengthens our message: it’s easy to remember, simple to share, and powerful in its storytelling. This is what a domain name is supposed to do, after all.

So thank you again, Radix, for helping us smoothly transition NamesCon from offline to .online!"

While nothing is in concrete, I'm looking to partner in some capacity with the fastest growing new gTLD in the world. I see .online as serious competition for the millions of .com domains hiding in the wine cellar just collecting dust because the average business consumer just can't afford them. Someone, not me, but I agree there are literally BILLIONS of dollars of perfectly good domains in the cellar that an even better extension is ready to replace.

Finally I want to thank NamePros for giving me a voice and letting me share my opinions with thousands of domainers the world over.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Rich, you're killing me. It's like you can't be happy unless you're putting someone down.

It's definitely an interesting plan! Recommending .com when it's available will go a long way to maintaining credibility, I think. If you were so inclined, you could even open your buyers up to all the ngTLDs and/or ccTLDs that might be relevant for their needs. Pushing .online could be a bit transparent if you're heavily invested in them. As a broker who is putting your clients first, it could really benefit them to have a wide array of options and prices.

I understand that, and I also want to gain enough credibility with the "end user" they may pay us a fee to find or create a domain that works for them, and fits within their budget.

btw, i just registered PuppyBowl.online because the real Puppy Bowl that's played on the same day the Super Bowl is each year is so damn cute I just had to check to see if PuppyBowl.online was available and Voila! Also, I see where Discovery seems to own rights to the Puppy Bowl, but "Puppy Bowl" doesn't seem to be trademarked. Now you know what I'm referring to when I say, FUN!!!....for the cat lovers I'll see if KittyBowl.online is available:xf.smile:

•••
i just registered PuppyBowl.online because the real Puppy Bowl that's played on the same day the Super Bowl is each year is so damn cute

If you ever ran into trouble and wanted to make the argument that you registered this name in good faith because it's the name of the object that puppies drink from, you kind of pre-emptively killed that argument with the above quote.

But I trust your legal expertise and I imagine you have strong council who will be able to defend you, so it should be ok. I can get you in touch with a senior VP at Discovery if it ever comes down to it. Maybe they'd be interested in owning the name.

Actually now that I think about it, maybe you are baiting them into coming after you to prove how desireable a .online name really is, because it would create headlines for the .online extension? That's pretty clever if that's the case. "Discovery sees so much value in the .online extensiosn that they're willing to fight for it at any cost..."

I need to stop under estimating you!

•••
Here is a little free TM advice...

A trademark does not need to be registered for the owner to prevent others from using a trademark or from using a confusingly similar mark.

The fact Bulloney acknowledged the existence of a potential TM issue with Discovery only makes it worse.

Brad

•••
Here is a little free TM advice...

A trademark does not need to be registered for the owner to prevent others from using a trademark or from using a confusingly similar mark.

The fact Bulloney acknowledged the existence of a potential TM issue with Discovery only makes it worse.

Brad
Brad...i'm judgment proof if you even know what that means. Bottomline, I could give a rats petunia what you think:xf.rolleyes:

•••
Brad...i'm judgment proof if you even know what that means. Bottomline, I could give a rats petunia what you think:xf.rolleyes:

Having assets others don't want is a good defense against TM issues. ;)

•••
If you ever ran into trouble and wanted to make the argument that you registered this name in good faith because it's the name of the object that puppies drink from, you kind of pre-emptively killed that argument with the above quote.

But I trust your legal expertise and I imagine you have strong council who will be able to defend you, so it should be ok. I can get you in touch with a senior VP at Discovery if it ever comes down to it. Maybe they'd be interested in owning the name.

Actually now that I think about it, maybe you are baiting them into coming after you to prove how desireable a .online name really is, because it would create headlines for the .online extension? That's pretty clever if that's the case. "Discovery sees so much value in the .online extensiosn that they're willing to fight for it at any cost..."

I need to stop under estimating you!
Thanks for the input. btw, i'm now the proud owner of KittyBowl.online, maybe I should check to see if PuppyWars and KittyWars are available:xf.smile: Just another "hoard" story for the record. A few weeks ago i registered Vipor.online and my friends at GD valued the .com at $3,331. Upon further review/investigation on my part I reached out to Afternick GD's partner in crime where admittedly the left hand never talks to the right and they said the price for Vipor.com was $85,000.......just another hoard story, but in a way it only adds value to Vipor.online. What do you think?

•••
From your intro posting:
Finally I want to thank NamePros for giving me a voice and letting me share my opinions with thousands of domainers the world over.

Who would have thought this thread would become one great commercial for hundreds of your business ideas and the promotion of all domains you've been registering .online?

Last edited:
•••
Having assets others don't want is a good defense against TM issues. ;)
Oh....in the way of full disclosure I really do own the domain JudgmentScore:xf.wink:com

•••
Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the input. btw, i'm now the proud owner of KittyBowl.online, maybe I should check to see if PuppyWars and KittyWars are available:xf.smile: Just another "hoard" story for the record. A few weeks ago i registered Vipor.online and my friends at GD valued the .com at $3,331. Upon further review/investigation on my part I reached out to Afternick GD's partner in crime where admittedly the left hand never talks to the right and they said the price for Vipor.com was $85,000.......just another hoard story, but in a way it only adds value to Vipor.online. What do you think?
The reason for the discrepancy there is that GD value is automated, while the Afternic listing was created by the owner themselves. One is a valuation, the other is a listing. It's not a case of Afternic and GD not communicating.

This is the exact same thing you could get in collectibles markets where the value of an item is highly subjective (as can be the case with domains). A professional appraisal could value an old toy/card/comic at $XXX, but scarcity and personal preference could end up fetching you ten times that in the right conditions.

Case in point - I listed a rare action figure on eBay a while back. All my research indicated I could expect roughly $700-$800, but it sold for over $2,300. Go figure!

•••
The reason for the discrepancy there is that GD value is automated, while the Afternic listing was created by the owner themselves. One is a valuation, the other is a listing. It's not a case of Afternic and GD not communicating.

This is the exact same thing you could get in collectibles markets where the value of an item is highly subjective (as can be the case with domains). A professional appraisal could value an old toy/card/comic at $XXX, but scarcity and personal preference could end up fetching you ten times that in the right conditions.

Case in point - I listed a rare action figure on eBay a while back. All my research indicated I could expect roughly $700-$800, but it sold for over $2,300. Go figure!
Usury is subjective too, but people go to jail because of it.

•••
Usury is subjective too, but people go to jail because of it.
Usury laws are in place to protect people. People don't need protection from expensive domain names.

Can you explain the link?

In addition... Usury isn't even subjective. States set maximum interest rates that a lender can charge.

Last edited:
•••
Usury laws are in place to protect people. People don't need protection from expensive domain names.

Can you explain the link?

In addition... Usury isn't even subjective. States set maximum interest rates that a lender can charge.
Joe....you should know by now I wasn't born yesterday. It's not the legitimate lenders who are involved in usury, it's your petro station down the street who charges $500 dollars a gallon when the pipeline is cut off by a terror attack. That's usury similar to GD asking 500K for the domain Reservations.online and the Domain Market asking 294,888 for SuicidePrevention.com when suicides all over the world are killing our youth at a greater rate than Covid. I'm sure you'll have an answer to that, but it's absolutely deplorable and makes me want to vomit to think about it.

•••
Joe....you should know by now I wasn't born yesterday. It's not the legitimate lenders who are involved in usury, it's your petro station down the street who charges $500 dollars a gallon when the pipeline is cut off by a terror attack. That's usury similar to GD asking 500K for the domain Reservations.online and the Domain Market asking 294,888 for SuicidePrevention.com when suicides all over the world are killing our youth at a greater rate than Covid. I'm sure you'll have an answer to that, but it's absolutely deplorable and makes me want to vomit to think about it.
Well, my answer is that the buyer can just register another great domain like SuicidePrevention.online to use for the exact same purpose. As you've said yourself many times in this thread, when it comes to general usability, all gTLD domain extensions are exactly the same. The high price of the .com in no way prevents anyone from building out a great site about suicide prevention that can rank just as well as the .com.

Now... the only reason that fact could possibly make you vomit is because what you've been peddling about .online is actually crap, and you yourself believe that .com is the only good option. So which is it?

•••
Not to mention... even if .com were the only option, the buyer could also look into acquiring:

SuicidePreventionToday.com
SuicidePreventionNow.com
SuicidePreventionInternational.com
SuicidePreventionGroup.com
GlobalSuicidePrevention.com
PreventSuicide.com
StopSuicide.com

Any of them could be used to build a great website that ranks #1 for suicide prevention! Aren't domains great?

•••
Not to mention... even if .com were the only option, the buyer could also look into acquiring:

SuicidePreventionNow.com
PreventSuicide.com
StopSuicide.com

Any of them could be used to build a great website that ranks #1 for suicide prevention! Aren't domains great?

You don't even need a keyword domain. It is about the actual help, not the domain.

https://www.ineedalighthouse.org/

I would much rather trust someone with professional training, than just some random person with a keyword domain.

This is not buying some random product. It should be left to trained professionals.

Brad

•••
You don't even need a keyword domain. It is about the actual help, not the domain.

True. And in fact you can still find very informative personal 'homepages' on this topic without any branding. I'm talking about those with ~ in it, hosted on your ISP domain.

•••
•••
Rich, we're all wondering what your point is when you talk about names being hoarded.
Who's "We're all" Joe? Do I smell the stench of collusion.onlineO_o As a result of your taunting I was able to pick up a few domains that work well in the online space;

CaseLaw.xxxxxx
Anomalies.xxxxxx
Hoarder:xf.smile:xxxxxx

Oh, did i tell you what i like best about this game is that it's so much FUN especially when you can buy names like Malarkey.online and MalarkeyJoe.online:xf.laugh: Thank you NamesCon! and NamePros!

•••

SuicidePreventionNow.com
PreventSuicide.com
StopSuicide.com

Any of them could be used to build a great website that ranks #1 for suicide prevention! Aren't domains great?[/QUOTE
Anyone here go to the NamesCon Online conference? While I didn't, I plan to go later because it was virtually online. So why would I be thanking Radix? Because Radix is the registry behind the extension .online.

Here is what the good folks at NamesCon said about Radix;

"The Right Extension for the Right Message"

NamesCon also said this;

"the .online extension remains a total no-brainer for us! We love .online because it both conveys and strengthens our message: it’s easy to remember, simple to share, and powerful in its storytelling. This is what a domain name is supposed to do, after all.

So thank you again, Radix, for helping us smoothly transition NamesCon from offline to .online!"

While nothing is in concrete, I'm looking to partner in some capacity with the fastest growing new gTLD in the world. I see .online as serious competition for the millions of .com domains hiding in the wine cellar just collecting dust because the average business consumer just can't afford them. Someone, not me, but I agree there are literally BILLIONS of dollars of perfectly good domains in the cellar that an even better extension is ready to replace.

No chance.

There is nothing special about .online, especially as a domain investor.

Brad

•••
Again, in addition to thanking you Brad, and your friend Joe Nichols, I want to thank NamesCon.online for creating an opportunity for me to do domains right. It's also due to what Verisign calls "Scalping" and others in the industry call "Hoarding" an opportunity like this exists. I'll leave you with this from Verisign who only confirmed my suspicions about the state of the domain industry;

"Ironically, in this speculators’ market, the price control on .com domain names serves only to reduce the cost of domain names bought by these speculators. Domain speculator Frank Schilling stated that the .com price cap “…has given the [domain speculation] industry a shot in the arm,” in a Jan. 2017 podcast interview. Flipping domain names or warehousing them to create scarcity adds nothing to the industry and merely allows those engaged in this questionable practice to enrich themselves at the expense of consumers and businesses."

and this;

"Even traditional registrars like GoDaddy have become big players in the secondary market and hold large portfolios of domain names for resale. GoDaddy’s public filings show it has spent over $100 million buying domain names for resale purposes. GoDaddy holds these domain names and then offers them to consumers and small businesses at prices that are often thousands of times the wholesale price. There’s nothing in GoDaddy’s public filings about its profits from this practice, but GoDaddy claims its domain name portfolio is worth $2.5 billion"

finally;

I want to thank NamePros again for letting me participate in this forum. I've met so many really nice people from all over the world.

•••
It's also due to what Verisign calls "Scalping" and others in the industry call "Hoarding" an opportunity like this exists.
You're the only one who calls it hoarding, Rich.
"Ironically, in this speculators’ market, the price control on .com domain names serves only to reduce the cost of domain names bought by these speculators. Domain speculator Frank Schilling stated that the .com price cap “…has given the [domain speculation] industry a shot in the arm,” in a Jan. 2017 podcast interview. Flipping domain names or warehousing them to create scarcity adds nothing to the industry and merely allows those engaged in this questionable practice to enrich themselves at the expense of consumers and businesses."
Verisign is talking about you too. They're talking about anyone who attempts to profit from re-selling domains.

You can't separate yourself from the rest of us, or even from Huge Domains. You're engaged in the exact same pursuit, but on a smaller scale. If it bothers you this much, then you should only be buying domains that you are going to build a site on.

•••
Unlike you, Go Daddy, Huge Domains, Sedo and the list goes I'm not "scalping" and "hoarding" domains to the detriment of consumers and businesses.
Can you explain why I'm scalping and hoarding and you're not?

Last edited:
•••
•••
@ThatNameGuy Would you please read https://domainnamewire.com/2018/11/...ut-domain-scalpers-and-its-biggest-customers/

"Verisign has been catering to this market for years. Sponsoring its conferences, promoting domain investing, creating the very tools designed to let domain investors know which domains to register…and now it wants to pretend it has nothing to do with this “questionable practice”. C’mon."
Context is everything, and Verisign's actions speak a lot louder than their words. I'm surprised @ThatNameGuy doesn't see their comments for what they are: a cheap-shot at the people who have made them so much money over the years, simply because they want to raise prices on domain registrations in order to get a bigger piece of the pie.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back