NameSilo

Testing huge number of domains. Fast. (Are you willing to pay for it?)

Spaceship
Watch

gee

Established Member
Impact
Hi

I've made a tool for testing availability of huge number of domains. Instead of looking up the whois servers it visits the given domain (website) and see if it exists.
The great thing about this is that it can test availability of great number of domains in any imaginable extension in relatively short period of time. The little drawback is that for some registered domains it'll show status "available" (for example domains with no DNS).

The data can be presented in many ways (reports), for example by popularity of domain name through all extensions, etc.

Now, my question is that if anyone would be willing to pay (not much) for such a service. If so I would start a website and make it working for you.

Z.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
I posted such a script here a while back.

•••
I can't find it. Could you give a link, please?

•••
I would, but (not much)

I think Estibot has a tool like this, but paying for a paln there just to use this tool seems to not be worth it...

•••
You can do 5,000 on NameBright's bulk search:
https://www.namebright.com/BulkSearch

And you can do 5,000 here as well, one of my old sites:
http://www.bulkavailability.com

I think your best bet would be to do it as a desktop application, because if you give the user a truly large volume like scanning hundreds of thousands per day you're going to need a big server and to charge a decent amount of money. But with a desktop app the user has the burden of processing.

Running an availability search requires a good amount of trust though. People have to believe that you aren't looking at their search results and taking the good domains that they find available.

•••
Okay, this was not a good idea. thank you for your posts.

•••
Hi

I've made a tool for testing availability of huge number of domains. Instead of looking up the whois servers it visits the given domain (website) and see if it exists.
The great thing about this is that it can test availability of great number of domains in any imaginable extension in relatively short period of time. The little drawback is that for some registered domains it'll show status "available" (for example domains with no DNS).

The data can be presented in many ways (reports), for example by popularity of domain name through all extensions, etc.

Now, my question is that if anyone would be willing to pay (not much) for such a service. If so I would start a website and make it working for you.

Z.
That sounds like a brilliant idea. Share the product with us once it is available. I'm definitely interested.

•••
•••
I currently have a few tools to check domain availability that I paid $xx for unlimited use. The one I use the most runs batches of 100k. I suppose it gives an idea of the price range you can expect.

There are a few drawbacks:
- the accuracy is not 100% (some 'akward extensions' are marked available when they aren't or vice versa)
- the tool is inoperant for many extensions (even .org are not easy to grab)
- the tools makes no difference between a registered domain and an active domain

Of course, the last point is not a surprise but I think there should be some interest in having a tool that detects if a domain is really used or if it's parked, redirected, unconnected...

Could you outline your method a little bit more ?

•••
What i'm doing for checking very long lists, is i first run server response test, from the results i throw out all live sites, then i have a shortened list usually 1/5 to 1/3 of the original list, and this short list i run thru whois checker. Saves me hours.

•••
•••
I currently have a few tools to check domain availability that I paid $xx for unlimited use. The one I use the most runs batches of 100k. I suppose it gives an idea of the price range you can expect.

There are a few drawbacks:
- the accuracy is not 100% (some 'akward extensions' are marked available when they aren't or vice versa)
- the tool is inoperant for many extensions (even .org are not easy to grab)
- the tools makes no difference between a registered domain and an active domain

Of course, the last point is not a surprise but I think there should be some interest in having a tool that detects if a domain is really used or if it's parked, redirected, unconnected...

Could you outline your method a little bit more ?

The script I'm using tests about 80-100K per hour (it depends on settings; the faster the more domains are shown "available").
You can test domains in any extension, it's no problem now and it'll never be in the future. It visits every website with given domain name and determines if domain exists or not.
All domains marked as "taken" are really taken. Free (available) domains are never shown as taken in any extension, which is very important.. But some taken domains are shown as "available". This is the case when server responses too slowly or domain has no DNS set (or set not existing DNS).
There is a way to determine (to some degree) if domain is parked, really used or just registered. I could for example analyze metatags of the site. It would require to wrote some more code but it's not a problem.

Of course after test, you need to use bulk whois to ultimately determine which of all available domains are really available.

•••
Why not just go ahead and start with the project. Go live with the site and see how people feel about it. If they find it valuable enough to use. If the traffic is satisfactory, then you can introduce some kind of payment plan. For example access to more tools for registered users for a fee. That is how you would know if people would pay to use it or not since its hard to answer that question without actually using the tool. I think

•••
Good point. That's the way it supposed to be done but the thing is that the tool needs good (and expensive) host to run. That's why I wanted to get some feedback from you before I decide to invest money for hosting.

•••
It could be a tool that runs from the desktop maybe ?

•••
•••
It could be a tool that runs from the desktop maybe ?

I can't write it to be windows application but It could run as php script.

•••
There is php for win . That would eliminate server costs.

•••
There is php for win . That would eliminate server costs.

True. But it it needs more time to do the job. If you like, send me list of names and list of extensions you want to test. I'll give you results in 24h.

•••
An html interface is not exciting at all for me. I can only envision a desktop application for this kind of app.
Uploading a txt file and receiving the results a few hours later as a text file is conciveable, but it's tedious IMHO.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back