NameSilo

branding Teespring.com is rebranding to Spri.ng

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

akos

Top Member
Impact
The widely-used social e-commerce platform Teespring is transitioning from a .com domain, to a domain hack based on the Nigerian TLD country code .ng.

https://www.spri.ng/blog/spring-is-here

Interesting choice honestly as it seems that they don't own Spring.com which currently serves as the homepage for a job consultancy.

What do you think? Is this the right way to proceed for Teespring?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I’m pretty sure this isn’t true, but if it is, RIP teespring. I hope the bankruptcy goes well.

•••
I think this name picked because they seems want to expand their business, to other fields; "tee" is not their major thing anymore

personally, I like this hack

•••
Nice hack. But, commercially may go wrong.

•••
Not the first and won't be the last.

When ex-Apple launch a company and raise $30,000,000 on a 3rd level domain hack aka hu.ma.ne the opinion of a few domainers really doesn't matter.

By the way has anyone heard that Instagr.am (Facebook) & Musical.ly (TikTok) were acquired for $1 billion each?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Those were amounts paid for companies.
This is beyond the point. Startups have been thriving on domain hacks for over a decade. There have been dozens of acquisitions. For such a small niche it's quite remarkable actually.

•••
This is beyond the point. Startups have been thriving on domain hacks for over a decade. There have been dozens of acquisitions. For such a small niche it's quite remarkable actually.
Some domain hacks are nice, but they really seem like potty training pants how every company that was on a domain hack has to upgrade to better names once they get established. There must be a reason that they do it, it's not just for fun.

•••
Spring.com is about to get a lot of free visitors. IMO it isn't wise to rebrand to a domain hack like this when you don't own the .com to match. If they owned both Spring.com and Spri.ng then I could see it making sense but I don't think this will pay off for them.

•••
Wow. I like domains, I have some domain hacks like grano.la, but hacks have always bothered me since the days of del.icio.us.

In 2021, it's insane that an established company would even consider this.

Ever since Overstock spent millions on their marketing of O.co (far better than most hacks) and had enough sense to abandon it in 2011, you'd think no one in their right mind would do something like this again.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/307841-overstock-abandons-o-co

Since history always repeats itself, I predict a re-correction to their name in the next 1-2 years, or they just go out of business.

•••
They should keep the .com with them or they are bound to fail in the very near future. Why to play with business name when you are doing it pretty well. The sooner they understand the mistake the less their loss would be.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Good or bad choice . . Time will tell. There is actually domain extension for ".i.ng"

spri.ng currently ranks 62.k on alexa . So far, i'd say their strategy seems to be working

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back