Dynadot

Technical Definition: "Domainer" and "Domain Investor"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ategy

Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.comTop Member
Impact
I think most of us are similar in how we define the word "Domainer" and term "Domain Investor", but I was wondering if anyone ever really established a technical definition? More importantly, I'm curious what all of you think?

Maybe something like ...

"Domainer" / "Domain Investor" .. someone who has:
#1 - Registered/purchased more than one domain with intent to sell
#2 - Listed more than one domain for sale.

#3? - (Maybe also) .. Renewed more than one domain.
(Otherwise maybe more of a hobbyist/speculator if they gave up on their domains before maximising the chances of their investment)

Or possibly also:
#4? - Someone who has sold at least one domain that they originally purchased with the intend of reselling for profit (without development).

Also I'm thinking for that last one, it's more the difference between a successful domainer and a non-successful domainer (with both possibly being "domainers" as long as #1 and #2 apply), curious what you all think about someone needing to successfully sell a domain for profit in order to be considered a "Domainer"?

I think I'd also be correct in assuming most of us define "Domainer" and "Domain Investor" as being the same thing, but please post below if you think differently and let us know why? :)

I didn't really think too hard on this before posting, so likely leaving out some obvious perspectives. Please add your thoughts! :)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i want the word to be added to the dictionary, i think due to this; subject to wider interpretation “domainer” prefer “investor”;) #4 sounds best

For those of you who doubt “cryptocurrency”; cryptocurrency made to the dictionary before “domainer” how :xf.eek:

Samer

Last edited:
•••
i prefer “investor” ;)

I edited the original post to also include "Domain Investor", as I think a lot of people would agree with you that they prefer the term. But how would you technically define either term?

•••
I edited the original post to also include "Domain Investor", as I think a lot of people would agree with you that they prefer the term. But how would you technically define either term?

#4 all the way. like, i’d actually recommend to Oxford for them to use those exact words.
they dont usually develop (take more skill)
and selling in itself — profit or not — is huge! Someone has to want it, and you have let go.
Many have 0 trade score, so easier said done; buying is the “easy part” #4 match best for me.

Plus You never forget your first sale!!! ;)

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Shouldn't it be 'domaineer'? I was always under the impression that the correct term is the one with the double 'ee'.

•••
Shouldn't it be 'domaineer'? I was always under the impression that the correct term was the one with the double 'ee'.

Sounds like “platypuses" "platypus". "platypi"...

all correct ways say (tho dont see much “ee”..)

Last edited:
•••
I think most people tend to use the terms interchangeably, but I would consider a "domain investor" to be a slightly higher level than a "domainer".

When I think "investment" it factors in a lot more than just buying some random domains.
You need some type of business model or plan.

If I am talking to someone who asks what I do I normally just use the term "internet investor". It is easier for the average person to understand.

Thanks,
Brad

•••
I think most people tend to use the terms interchangeably, but I would consider a "domain investor" to be a slightly higher level than a "domainer".

When I think "investment" it factors in a lot more than just buying some random domains.
You need some type of business model or plan.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad seriously,
is “domaineer” correct? the word doesnt exist technically; see “ee” spelling once a blue moon

Though agree with everything you just said.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Brad seriously,
is “domaineer” correct? the word doesnt exist technically, see “ee” spelling once a blue moon

Tho i do agree with everything you just said

I have not seen that used very much, but there are some references to it online.
So I guess some people use it.

I don't like that term though. It is a mix between domain and domineer.

Brad

•••
Shouldn't it be 'domaineer'? I was always under the impression that the correct term is the one with the double 'ee'.

I've never seen the term Domaineer. Either way though, I'm more interested in how people technically define the term, Whichever term you personally use to mean what we all understand to be a Domainer and/or Domain Investor. That being said .. if anyone thinks these terms have different technical definitions to them, please explain the differences .. however I'm more interested on what someone much have technically done to be considered a Domainer.

•••
Technically I would consider a "domainer" someone who is involved in the trade of domains.

That would require both acquiring (via registration or purchase) and selling.
Without both parts I don't consider you involved in a trade.

If you are just buying, without sales, that is basically just collecting.
If you register/purchase domains for usage that is more development, not being a domainer IMO.

Brad

•••
Ok. Here is how I see it:
domaineer = someone that monetises domains via parking and/or any types of ads on a single lander page (eg. mini sites).
domain investor = the professional term that describes the activity of acquiring domains to resell them
domainer = not that good a term.. I always felt like the word made fun of domain investing honestly.

Again, that's just me with what I have gathered through the years from reading stuff here and there.

•••
Domain investor sounds more professional. Definately better to use this term outside of the domain industry....IMO

•••

It never occurred to me that there is also the type of person who just collects domains. I'm talking about literally 'collecting', as in, as a hobby. So, we should also add 'Domain Hobbyist' to the list :)

•••
If we compare domain names to real estate: domainer is like a house flipper .. someone who is buying domains to resell for quick profit. On the other hand a domain investor is someone who is buying valuable domain names (properties) and holding to them until they find a new home for a good profit or can either develop/invest on them i.e. joint ventures

•••
All investors are resellers. Aren't they?
So,
domain reseller = domain investor

Success and experience mean nothing when it comes to profession once you have got the title.
Domainer is always a domainer even if he has never sold a domain. Buying a domain to sell makes someone domainer till forever like once you are a medical doctor, driver, plumber you are always so regardless of how good or bad at your job.

•••
Technically I would consider a "domainer" someone who is involved in the trade of domains.

That would require both acquiring (via registration or purchase) and selling.
Without both parts I don't consider you involved in a trade.

If you register/purchase domains for usage that is more development, not being a domainer IMO.

Brad

Then Brad we get into certain people's definitions of a "domainer" remember Adam Dicker and Rick years ago?

•••
When asked, I've always just said domainer and you get that split second of the person having no idea what you're talking about, but I follow that up quickly with, I buy and sell domain names.

I've always like the 1 word domainer, sounds powerful like dominate or Conan. Or course Conan the Barbarian or Conan the Destroyer sounds tougher. Domain investor I might start using.

As far as domainer being in the dictionary. Never been a big deal to me, I know somebody else constantly brings it up. Not in some major ones but dictionaries are a dime a dozen on the internet:

https://www.yourdictionary.com/domainer

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/domainer

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=domainer

etc.

Not so enthused

•••
-eer

a noun-forming suffix occurring originally in loanwords from French (buccaneer; mutineer; pioneer) and productive in the formation of English nouns denoting persons who produce, handle, or are otherwise significantly associated with the referent of the base word (auctioneer; engineer; mountaineer; pamphleteer); now frequently pejorative (profiteer; racketeer).Compare -ary, -er2, -ier2.

eer is used in the brandables niche.I have sold a few. Not sure I really like it after the word domain but it works.

•••
When asked, I've always just said domainer and you get that split second of the person having no idea what you're talking about, but I follow that up quickly with, I buy and sell domain names.

I've always like the 1 word domainer, sounds powerful like dominate or Conan. Or course Conan the Barbarian or Conan the Destroyer sounds tougher. Domain investor I might start using.

As far as domainer being in the dictionary. Never been a big deal to me, I know somebody else constantly brings it up. Not in some major ones but dictionaries are a dime a dozen on the internet:

https://www.yourdictionary.com/domainer

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/domainer

etc.

Not so enthused

urbandictionary the equivalence of “The Onion”

Cant complain about other 2

Samer

Last edited:
•••
urbandictionary the equivalence of “The Onion”

cant complain about other 2

Samer

Seems ok to me, not that bad:

A person who makes a living in the cyberterritory, making his fortune investing in the field of domain names, buying and selling the Internet's most valuable virtual "real estate".

•••
Domainer
A person who buys domains on the internet and squats on them, thinking they're going to be approached by a billionaire venture capitalist who wants to buy the domain for their next big project and will drop $$$$$$$$$ making the domainer rich. In reality the domainer will never sell their junk domains, will continue to live in their mother's basement, and be a burden to the web based startup community, the internet, and entire world in general.
Domain Auction Headline: "Iphone5g-news.com - starting bid $1,000 USD or buy it now for $10,000,000, this is a billion dollar business opportunity!!! I have been a domainer for over 1 years and we sell other top quality domain names. Please contact us for more domains!"
#loser#scumbag#basement dweller#pedophile#domain#url#website#entreprenuer
by bourbonman February 24, 2011

Hahahahaha

•••
Seems ok to me.
A person who makes a living in the cyberterritory, making his fortune investing in the field of domain names, buying and selling the Internet's most valuable virtual "real estate".

yeah but classifying it in slang dictionary, doesnt do word justice.not real word, would you really consider “slang”? nah. profession.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back