Dynadot

Technical Definition: "Domainer" and "Domain Investor"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ategy

Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.comTop Member
Impact
I think most of us are similar in how we define the word "Domainer" and term "Domain Investor", but I was wondering if anyone ever really established a technical definition? More importantly, I'm curious what all of you think?

Maybe something like ...

"Domainer" / "Domain Investor" .. someone who has:
#1 - Registered/purchased more than one domain with intent to sell
#2 - Listed more than one domain for sale.

#3? - (Maybe also) .. Renewed more than one domain.
(Otherwise maybe more of a hobbyist/speculator if they gave up on their domains before maximising the chances of their investment)

Or possibly also:
#4? - Someone who has sold at least one domain that they originally purchased with the intend of reselling for profit (without development).

Also I'm thinking for that last one, it's more the difference between a successful domainer and a non-successful domainer (with both possibly being "domainers" as long as #1 and #2 apply), curious what you all think about someone needing to successfully sell a domain for profit in order to be considered a "Domainer"?

I think I'd also be correct in assuming most of us define "Domainer" and "Domain Investor" as being the same thing, but please post below if you think differently and let us know why? :)

I didn't really think too hard on this before posting, so likely leaving out some obvious perspectives. Please add your thoughts! :)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
English speaking people don't know English?

Domainer = The person who holds domain

All other things are secondary.. IMO

•••
The dictionary doesn't really know what we are.

•••
Domainer: Buy and sell as Daily job.
Domain investor: Buy and hold for multiple years tend to sell them when time has been matured. (Mostly just leave it there not doing too much research and following trend)
Domain Day dreamer: waiting for jackpot above 1 million.

•••
I prefer domain name investor. I think it should apply to those who purchase, with plans to sell or lease or monetize in other ways, domain names. I don't think there should be a limit on the time frame, from quick flips to long term investments, as I view all as investments, just with different time horizons.

With respect to @Ategy original definitions, i think it is reasonable that there be a purchase of at least two domain names with intention to sell, as suggested. Probably at least one sale, of a domain name purchased with intention to sell at a profit, is reasonable.

I would not include your renew requirement - there are definitely people buying and selling domain names that almost never renew any. They try a flip within the year and then move on. I know it is not a model that many follow, but it seems to me it is domain name investment. In the new gTLDs, a probabilistic approach actually favours the approach to some degree where the ratio of renewal rate to first year registration can be as high as 25:1 in some cases.

An interesting question if we reach a point with proportional ownership and other mechanisms allow domains to be broadly held in a passive way similar other instruments like commodities or stocks/bonds are invested by people through ETFs and mutual funds, are people who invest in that way, but do not directly sell domains, domain name investors? I think so, but see argument each way.

Now is domainer a different term? I think it could be a broader term, which includes domain investors but also those who have a passion for domain names but don't do it specifically as an investment. They may collect names for largely personal use and pleasure, or passionately analyze and discuss and promote domain names, without specific significant personal investments. I realize this interpretation is different from that in internet definitions that do refer to buy and sell as part of definition of domainer. What if someone wrote about the domain industry, attended conferences, etc. but for whatever reasons did not invest personally? They are not a domain name investor. They perhaps could be considered a domainer?

Does anyone know if there has ever been a formal effort to get domainer recognied as a term by one of the major dictionaries?

Thanks for starting the thread, @Ategy, and those who have contributed.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Well when we get it figured out, don't forget to add it to NP's The Domaining Dictionary

I mind personally domainer vs domain investor, to me they are the same as one doesn't have to be exclusive of the other in terms of technical definition. A term is as professional as you make it. There could be a broad meaning, with many subsets however that the terms could be broken down into, as mentioned within the thread.

Also there is this post to look at that has some related terms along with interesting definitions by it's OP
https://www.namepros.com/threads/what-kind-of-domainer-are-you.1177720/

•••
I'm a Domain Investor. That's how I introduce myself anywhere I go. Among other things, that's what I do for a living. And I kinda like title as it carries more respect compared to just a Domainer.

Here's How I define each.

Domainer = Someone who register domains with the intent to resell for profit. Usually sell nothing or from $10 - $1,000.

To qualify as a Domainer, you should own at least 1 domain at $10.

Domain Investor = Someone who register or buy domains to resell at higher profit. Someone who have sold or regularly sell from $10,000 and above.

To qualify as a Domain Investor, you must have invested at least $10,000 at a go.

Last edited:
•••
what about domain collectors? I know some guys they are just hodl without selling.

•••
I prefer domain name investor. I think it should apply to those who purchase, with plans to sell or lease or monetize in other ways, domain names. I don't think there should be a limit on the time frame, from quick flips to long term investments, as I view all as investments, just with different time horizons.

With respect to @Ategy original definitions, i think it is reasonable that there be a purchase of at least two domain names with intention to sell, as suggested. Probably at least one sale, of a domain name purchased with intention to sell at a profit, is reasonable.

I would not include your renew requirement - there are definitely people buying and selling domain names that almost never renew any. They try a flip within the year and then move on. I know it is not a model that many follow, but it seems to me it is domain name investment. In the new gTLDs, a probabilistic approach actually favours the approach to some degree where the ratio of renewal rate to first year registration can be as high as 25:1 in some cases.

An interesting question if we reach a point with proportional ownership and other mechanisms allow domains to be broadly held in a passive way similar other instruments like commodities or stocks/bonds are invested by people through ETFs and mutual funds, are people who invest in that way, but do not directly sell domains, domain name investors? I think so, but see argument each way.

Now is domainer a different term? I think it could be a broader term, which includes domain investors but also those who have a passion for domain names but don't do it specifically as an investment. They may collect names for largely personal use and pleasure, or passionately analyze and discuss and promote domain names, without specific significant personal investments. I realize this interpretation is different from that in internet definitions that do refer to buy and sell as part of definition of domainer. What if someone wrote about the domain industry, attended conferences, etc. but for whatever reasons did not invest personally? They are not a domain name investor. They perhaps could be considered a domainer?

Does anyone know if there has ever been a formal effort to get domainer recognied as a term by one of the major dictionaries?

Thanks for starting the thread, @Ategy, and those who have contributed.

Bob

Great post Bob.

•••
i agree, domain investor sounds more prestigious like you have what / com or TakeOut / com. While domainer sounds like everything else. Im a domainer until im a domain investor anyway. :)

•••
Domainer : focus on selling domain to make a active income

Investor : Build an assets through some valuable domain , pay renewal with their passive income , and never engage directly in reg , renew , and transfer. They build strong system to make more passive money every time.

•••
I remember first hearing the name Domainer in about 2006 I think it was, I can’t remember who I first heard it from, any ways, I think Domainer is just a common person who buys domain names, they may sell some , but not on a “Domain Reseller” or “Domain Investor” level.

•••
<--- I guess I am a domain investor then... :)

•••
I often wonder... how we got stuck with the "domainer" label(s).

'Domainer' carries the same connotation as 'Homesteader', so people relate it to squatting on public property.

Every field is a 'domain', so the term is also too nebulous to brand. In real estate, by comparison, each property is a domain but the industry sells 'homes'.

Also, virtually everybody online is a 'domainer'. They're just using corporate, ad sponsored, domain platforms. And many of those 'Domain Investors' make more profit on YouTube, FaceBook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc., than most 'professional domainers' make from 'monetizing' parked domains & name sales.

The fact that the term 'domainer' gets red flagged as a misspelled word on the web's top domain forum is sad and funny at the same time.

•••
Domainer = a fellow domain seller/buyer
Domain investor = a domainer with a domain-related blog or website
Domain speculator = that lucky bastard who makes a living from selling domains
Domain squatter = the mofo who regged MY domain

[edit] forgot to add: :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
I have the license to DomainingMagazine.com for three years, thinking the word "domaining" is widely accepted. If it isn't then my domain is worthless (If it wasn't already)

But I think domainer and domaining is now acceptable English

•••
I will go with Domain name Investor. I think this adds some seriousness to the practice and creates that sense of business. Personally, I will not use the amount invested in buying a domain as a yardstick for measuring who a domain investor is. It has to do with the mindset and how you see what you are doing. Let's look at real estate investment, for instance, it's not defined by the amount you bought the property because property appreciates with time so also are domain names. We should look beyond the amount invested and focus on the intention and projection of the person. Let's also look at startups, they start small and grow big then sometimes the business is sold. It is all about your personal agenda, projection, I mean what propelled you to putting that cash into a domain rather than buying and eating a burger. Thanks, @Bob Hawkes for this write-up.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back