Dynadot

TanningMom.com, do you register Fad domain names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello, I am sure all of you heard about the woman, who was accused of taking her 5yr old daughter tanning? She go by the name of Tanning mom, aka Patricia Krentcil. Well, I did a check to see if TanningMom.com is reg, GONE!!!

My question to you guys is, do you reg fad domain names? Why?

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertai...-tanning-mom-calls-detractors-jealous-fat-and

Sure, why not.
You never know, you may turn $7 reg into some quick cash.
Its worth a risk.

I own Heavy Burtation :laugh:
This is my favorite Heavy Burtation video,
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEjKmEXQX58"]Captain, we have a very heavy burtation from Serene Branson. - YouTube[/ame]

:laugh:

Last edited:
•••
I have to admit I looked up tanorexic dot com to see if it was available when i saw it refereed to this crazy gal LOL

•••
TebowTime and Linsanity come to mind...,I would imagine pretty good traffic

•••
tanoholic dot com taken too lol

•••
My question to you guys is, do you reg fad domain names? Why?

These are generally referred to as internet 'memes', you can look up meme in wikipedia, it gives many famous examples. The decent ones are all regged in dot.com at least. The long clunky typo-ridden hard-to-remember ones are usually still available to reg.

Most popular memes get their dot.com regged. A meme can become popular for a few days or weeks with some decent search numbers... or it can explode and get tens of thousands of searches in the first month or two, and then slowly wane... but some of them will retain thousands of monthly searches for years afterwards.

Domainers grab meme names to build minisites or blogs, hoping to cash in (with adsense usually) on the search traffic. It's also a hope that a meme will become known in the mainstream world and have lasting usage, in which case a meme term might develop some value to end users who wish to develop something cool/quirky around the term.

Memes are highly risky to invest in, so if you like them then get the occasional one that sings out to you, but I recommend not going hog-wild and regging a lot of them. New ones pop up practically daily, you could spend a ton of time/money regging them, developing some out, and literally have none of them ever come to any value.

IMO their only real value is in any traffic you can get to a site and in how well that converts to ad clicks. There may have been meme sales to end users but I have never personally seen one reported.

Note that I always try add some redeeming value to any of my sites, even minisites. If you grab a meme name and want to develop, try add some interesting and entertaining content yourself; a dry site describing the meme will get one-time visitors, a neat site adding some extra value/entertainment will build strength and garner return visitors and referrals.

I see a lot of memes that I can just tell will be flash-in-the-pans... but when I see one that looks like it might become popular for an extended time, I'll search the dot.com... but so far every one that (I consider) is good, has been regged :)

Last edited:
•••
Bannen said it well. I would add that one thing you can do with these types of names is forward them to a site you develop that people might enjoy and bookmark. In other words, these names are good to drive traffic to a site that they will enjoy more than on a one time whim.

•••
i agree with bannen but i have a hard time to find a real site to forward about this tanning nutcase.....wait, maybe forward it to "www.burnedpancakes.com"...?!? LOL

cheers

liquid

•••
I regged NameprosIsDead.com - I know people don't like these types of names but it's just a few dollars.

Always lots of isDead.com names available. TanningMomIsDead.com is available.

Just kidding on the NameprosIsDead.

•••
I regged NameprosIsDead.com - I know people don't like these types of names but it's just a few dollars.

Always lots of isDead.com names available. TanningMomIsDead.com is available.

Just kidding on the NameprosIsDead.

You better reg quick "defaultuserisdead.com" after making comments like this.....LOLOL

(not wishing this, hope he sticks around for a long time) :)

cheers

liquid

•••
Yes I regged TimeShiftingCameras.com after seeing the CNET news article.

•••
no I would not regiser a domain that mocked a lady who clearly has a underlying issue..

•••
These are generally referred to as internet 'memes', you can look up meme in wikipedia, it gives many famous examples. The decent ones are all regged in dot.com at least. The long clunky typo-ridden hard-to-remember ones are usually still available to reg.

Most popular memes get their dot.com regged. A meme can become popular for a few days or weeks with some decent search numbers... or it can explode and get tens of thousands of searches in the first month or two, and then slowly wane... but some of them will retain thousands of monthly searches for years afterwards.

Domainers grab meme names to build minisites or blogs, hoping to cash in (with adsense usually) on the search traffic. It's also a hope that a meme will become known in the mainstream world and have lasting usage, in which case a meme term might develop some value to end users who wish to develop something cool/quirky around the term.

Memes are highly risky to invest in, so if you like them then get the occasional one that sings out to you, but I recommend not going hog-wild and regging a lot of them. New ones pop up practically daily, you could spend a ton of time/money regging them, developing some out, and literally have none of them ever come to any value.

IMO their only real value is in any traffic you can get to a site and in how well that converts to ad clicks. There may have been meme sales to end users but I have never personally seen one reported.

Note that I always try add some redeeming value to any of my sites, even minisites. If you grab a meme name and want to develop, try add some interesting and entertaining content yourself; a dry site describing the meme will get one-time visitors, a neat site adding some extra value/entertainment will build strength and garner return visitors and referrals.

I see a lot of memes that I can just tell will be flash-in-the-pans... but when I see one that looks like it might become popular for an extended time, I'll search the dot.com... but so far every one that (I consider) is good, has been regged :)

Interesting,never heard of this term. Thanks for the insight.

•••

A few years ago, I regged nicotini.com.

I still have it and do get low ball offers on it.

Nicotini is the liquid and alcoholic version of nicotine, a response to the myriad no smoking in bars laws.

Unless the right offer walks through the door, I plan to keep this one--it just has a nice ring to it.

•••
Depending on the topic "fad" domains are ok if you can put up a quick landing page or mini site with adsense etc. Its when the subject matter is questionable that you try and capitalize on it.

•••
I just reg TanningMomLookLikeASlimJim.com LOL.

•••
If your a domainer, it would be foolish not to try and register a domain that relates to current events.

Aside from traffic revenue, you can potentially flip it for a substantial profit in a very short period of time.

•••
meh.. I was thinking about Tanohlic dot com but that one is already booked!:(

•••
I just missed a fad domain by one day.
HotDogHooker / com

Saw it on the news just now and someone had reg'd it yesterday...lol

•••
HotDogHooker / com

A day is forever on these things

I dont think this one has much staying power the hot d gal not much to look at.

She out of jail and back to toasting her buns.

•••
A day is forever on these things

I dont think this one has much staying power the hot d gal not much to look at.

She out of jail and back to toasting her buns.

Yep, you gotta be quick.
But the domain has a nice Ring to it :] :lol:

•••
Hey John, I own TanningMom.com and PatriciaKrentcil.com

Make me an offer?

•••
catching the chance will make money.

•••
HotDogHooker / com

Domainers are all over meme's these days; as soon as a word/phrase first hits the airwaves, if a domainer likes it they reg it. Gotta make decisions fast when it comes to these forward-thinking names.

However, I'll only grab those that I think have a chance at longevity and/or huge popularity, not these flash-in-the-pans like hotdoghooker.

For example, on Survivor last year there was a big joke about the new 'merged team' name. One member suckered all the others into thinking the term Murlonio meant something cool like 'from the sea, united' in some exotic language, and the tribe went with this word. Turned out it was a made-up name for his wife's stuffed animal.

The moment this happened I regged murlonio.com, didn't even wait for a commercial just took the stairs flying to my laptop; new tribe name, on a hit tv show, a huge joke, every possibility of becoming a well-known fad word, coined by a celebrity (Boston Rob), both the show and the person have many fans worldwide... seemed like a no-brainer to take a chance on the word.

However, even with all that, and my hastily-built site making it to first spot on google for the term within a few days... a year later and the term means nothing, no searches really, didn't catch on in any way.

I just let it drop, if anyone's interested, it'll be deleting some time soon ;)

You take your chances with memes/fads; after all, Murlonio could have become a much larger thing, it was worth a shot; but try not wasting money on the ones that obviously aren't going to go anywhere; try to at least only reg the ones that seem to have a long-lasting chance :)

Last edited:
•••
However, I'll only grab those that I think have a chance at longevity and/or huge popularity, not these flash-in-the-pans like hotdoghooker.

Have to disagree with you on that one point.
The more I think of hotdoghooker the more I like it and wish I got it.

One thing people like to do with fad names is immediately, like the next day open a T-Shirt site selling shirts with that phrase on it.

But for me I dont really care if it maybe a flash-in-the-pan name, for $8 or less I have no problem taking a chance.
Plus I get a kick out of it :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back