IT.COM

discuss Struggling to Sell

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VB Domains

Established Member
Impact
I admit that I'm struggling to sell domain names since I started dealing with domains. I hardly make any sales now and if I do it's very low amount, really not worth the effort. These are valid reasons to quit. Anyways, I would like to know how your business is going guys?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Persistence is the key to domaining. You have should quality names though

•••
You need to decide if you are reactive or proactive. If you are reactive you need to use your names to get income, and you will probably get a higher price if you can afford to wait. You can also be both, and use the profits from your proactive sales to fund your investment. Either way, it involves work, and a flair for finding names with commercial possibilities.

•••
I admit that I'm struggling to sell domain names since...I would like to know how your business is going guys?

Looking at the names in your signature, I'd say the problem is the quality of your domains.

My sales are about avg.

•••
Looking at the names in your signature, I'd say the problem is the quality of your domains.

My sales are about avg.
Yes I agree, unfortunately I bought a bunch of crap when I started domaining. I should bought names that are cost 100+ USD at least. Now I want to sell/drop my whole portfolio and start again with more knowledge. :)

•••
•••
You need to decide if you are reactive or proactive. If you are reactive you need to use your names to get income, and you will probably get a higher price if you can afford to wait. You can also be both, and use the profits from your proactive sales to fund your investment. Either way, it involves work, and a flair for finding names with commercial possibilities.
Yes I realized that I need to put the work into if I would like to get more out of domain names selling. Also I need to stop wasting my time and money in low quality names.

•••
•••
•••
Patience is key for sure. It took me years to really start to understand and make contacts. Talk to people just like you are and take advice in doses. People love to give wrong advice too.

•••
Every domainer has a different idea about making money in this industry, so don't take my opinions as best advice.

One of the most important things to understand is website traffic. To learn about this, you really ned to host a name, and try to pick up visitors. For example, MetalRope.com has just dropped, so you can het that for reg fee, and you may even make a few dollars on a sale if you are lucky, but you can research metal ropes, and put info onto a site, and then watch the stats to see how you can build traffic. Google analytics can help with the reports.

There are probably better names by the way, - FarmDeliveries.com for example.

•••
Every domainer has a different idea about making money in this industry, so don't take my opinions as best advice.

One of the most important things to understand is website traffic. To learn about this, you really ned to host a name, and try to pick up visitors. For example, MetalRope.com has just dropped, so you can het that for reg fee, and you may even make a few dollars on a sale if you are lucky, but you can research metal ropes, and put info onto a site, and then watch the stats to see how you can build traffic. Google analytics can help with the reports.

There are probably better names by the way, - FarmDeliveries.com for example.
This is great advice. I lack this skill and need it. I only buy and sell names - I should be building revenue

•••
Sure I'm open for any advice!

Figure out what you can afford to risk, whether that's 200 or 2,000. Don't impulse buy.

Search for 1 domain on the aftermarket, SEDO, Godaddy, etc.. Then negotiate the best price possible. I try to find names with type-in traffic. 30+ unique visitors a month is good.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

•••
Everybody is struggling, it's not like you are the exception.
That being said, you will need to upgrade your portfolio if your signature is representative of your holdings. Then it's a waiting game.

The most difficult thing in this industry is not to sell domains, but to buy them. You need to build quality inventory and for this you need to acquire domains that are priced right and leave room for a healthy profit. When you have quality names, they sell for themselves.

Domainers must not assume that any random name can sell and has an end user.

•••
About impulse buys... when a .com is available for $9, it's easy to convince yourself its a good deal and before you know it, you've wasted a $100.

Stop and ask.. why is this available? Has it been registered before?

Last edited:
•••
Re: metalrope.com - I wouldn't touch this. Wire Rope and cable are the common terms used.

It would be a waste of time, which is more valuable than money. If your going to build a website, use a popular, correct keyword domain..

** edit. I've known a few loggers, truck drivers, etc.. I can't ever remember searching on the Internet for metal rope. We went to Roley's supply or purchased from a industrial supply catalog.

Last edited:
•••
https://trends.google.co.uk/trends/explore?q=metal rope

plus it's on the current drop list, so it's a negligible investment for a training name.If it's harder to get traffic, then it's better for training. Also, it might be easier to get decent ranking to learn about SEO.

•••
Last edited:
•••
It's very easy when you first start out to simply impulse purchase domains, and that's where the domaining world can get very confusing! Some great replies here already, but one thing I picked up very quickly was to focus on a number of specific niches and build up from there.

I have been very lucky this year. Sales have been steady, mainly lowball offers, and one unexpected large sale came out of the blue about a month ago. That's domaining for you, and you soon come to realise that patience is key. Buy quality domains, focus on a number of niches and they will sell themselves.

Impulse buys can be a good thing, providing you know what you are doing and you know your niche.

Last edited:
•••
Pick UP THE PHONE and start selling....
Dont wait around.

•••
Dont wait around.
Do you subscribe to phone calls type of domain marketing? Have you recorded any success with that?

•••
•••
•••
Do you call or or email end users to sell names?

Start with email, follow up with call.... but calling would be far more effective... at least for my niches.

•••
Dont wait around.

Think about your approach, and be careful not to spam otherwise you could get yourself into trouble. An email to introduce is a good way to start....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back