Dynadot

Steve Jobs (R.I.P.) 1955-2011

Spaceship
Watch

MicroGuy

Miembro EspecialTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
He was not only a great innovator, but also one of the best speakers of our time. Havn't seen better presentations than his...
Rest in peace Steve Jobs!

•••
What can I say, RIP, Steve.

•••
Tis is a public forum but it's not a "Let's bash Steve" thread. I removed such posts. If you wanna bash the guy, make a new thread for it.

That said, RIP, Mr. Jobs. You will be missed by many.

•••
Steve revolutionized the tech world.

•••

Even if one doesn't use Apple products, Steve Jobs revolutionized the industry for all of us.

If you use a mouse, you can thank Jobs.

While he didn't invent the mouse, he redesigned it for ease of use and made it low cost.

R.I.P.

The world isn't quite the same without SJ.

:(

•••
R.I.P.

Sickos have already started registering domains with his name and trying to sell it here and on ebay.

I had forgotten about that aspect of our industry .....wasted time and money

It costs nothing to remember

•••
If you use a mouse, you can thank Jobs.

While he didn't invent the mouse, he redesigned it for ease of use and made it low cost.

I don't believe this is the case.

He didn't invent the mouse and the "Lisa" project (from which he was booted) basically innovated (stole) from Xerox.

Jobs was a brilliant business man first.

•••
I don't believe this is the case.

He didn't invent the mouse and the "Lisa" project (from which he was booted) basically innovated (stole) from Xerox.

Jobs was a brilliant business man first.

According to a May 16, 2011, New Yorker article by Malcolm Gladwell ("Creation Myth"), Jobs did NOT steal the mouse, he totally reinvented it. In fact, the Xerox Parc version had originally been conceived by Douglas Engelbart of Stanford. Gladwell says,
In the history of the mouse, Engelbart was the Soviet Union. He was the visionary, who saw the mouse before anyone else. But visionaries are limited by their visions (page 49).
The Xerox Parc prototype cost $300 and broke down every two weeks. According to Dean Hovey (IDEO), Jobs told him that Apple's mouse needed
To be manufacturable for less than fifteen bucks. It needs not to fail for a couple of years, and I want to be able to use it on Formica and my bluejeans (page 46).
So it could be argued that Jobs, third visionary down the line, was the one who made the mouse a commercial possibility.

It could be furthered argued that Xerox Parc's prototype was a non-viable novelty, destined to go nowhere in that environment and that Jobs hadn't stolen a patented product (Jobs' version was very different from Xerox Parc's), but, rather, built upon a concept.

•••
Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

"Engelbart ... was the visionary"

Found that an interesting quote myself. Realized that I slightly misquoted you when viewing via Tapatalk - sorry about that.

•••

The entire article is fascinating; I don't know if you can get it online without paying for it (or, perhaps, you can if you're a print subscriber). Gladwell attempts to get inside the heads of Jobs and others who can see into the future that we mere mortals cannot, a tall task, indeed.

On the day Jobs died, my hand on mouse, I just stopped short and looked at how my hand was working it seamlessly without my being aware of it (not the case when I first started using a mouse--it was very sad how inept I was).

And then I thought about my 6-year-old granddaughter who has known nothing BUT a mouse, the internet, and computers. That kid has her own ipod and can do simple webpages, which she was doing before she could even read (all via icons!). This might not have been possible except for Apple inventions.

As I studied my hand clutching the mouse, I cried.

My own reaction surprised me; while I typically feel sad when a beloved celebrity dies, I don't really cry about it, but, somehow, it was different with Jobs.

Yes, someone will come along and do something else to amaze us and change the world, but Jobs was a giant in our time--he belongs to us, even old boomers like me, who came kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Steve Jobs was a flawed human being (aren't we all?), but he changed the world in ways that are stunning and life-changing for anyone who has ever used a computer, mobile phone, and other devices.

BTW, defaultuser, not a problem. I wasn't offended.

:)

•••
Yes, someone will come along and do something else to amaze us and change the world, but Jobs was a giant in our time--he belongs to us, even old boomers like me, who came kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Steve Jobs was a flawed human being (aren't we all?), but he changed the world in ways that are stunning and life-changing for anyone who has ever used a computer, mobile phone, and other devices.

Well said.

BTW, Born in '55, Jobs was a boomer himself. Remember that the next time you're tempted to buy into the stereotype that everyone over 40 is a technology-challenged dinosaur!

•••
Rest in peace, Steve! You gave so much happiness to the world.

•••
BTW, Born in '55, Jobs was a boomer himself. Remember that the next time you're tempted to buy into the stereotype that everyone over 40 is a technology-challenged dinosaur!
Being a visionary, is ageless. It just requires imagination.

The people who actually make that technology possible to help turn the "vision" into reality, are seldom glamorized.

Truth is, we probably have no idea how much of a contribution Steve Jobs made into the IPod, Iphone, and IPad. For all practicality, Steve Jobs was "the face" of everything that spurts out of Apple.

•••
Rest in peace... I'm glad to see this thread here....

Every time I see a picture of Steve Jobs I stop for a second and start dreaming.... Even now I can not realize that he is gone.... a visionary like him must never go....

And beside this this is one of those times when I thing great people are valued to they thru potential, and we see what we lost only after they are gone......

•••
RIP Steve. You will be missed and remembered.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back