NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sports.tv good buy or not

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'll have it even for $100k if.... there's enough cash in my bank.

Congrats to the buyer.

•••
Solid buy.

Best case scenario: this name alone (resold/developed) can well pay for Joel's entire .TV operation costs so far. Congrats!

Joel picked it up? I missed that bit of info. Is that right?

Considering that Sheeraz was asking $1,000,000,000 (before he dropped it, lol) a mere 50k does seem like a steal.

•••
Joel picked it up? I missed that bit of info. Is that right?

Considering that Sheeraz was asking $1,000,000,000 (before he dropped it, lol) a mere 50k does seem like a steal.

Was he really asking for 1 Billion Dollars or 1 Million Dollars? ;)

•••
If you want a good laugh, when I first got into purchasing .tv domains back in May I contacted sports.tv and offered a whopping sum of $5,000; upset I did not get a response. :D

still pissed! he could of transferred it to me since he let it drop. j/k!

thanks,

Jason

•••
If I had that kind of $$ ,I would certainly put it on a name like ""sports"
and I have not been a .tv er very long but I see a lot of them Lately. I voted " YES " it would be worth that and More.

•••
...if I were a serious sports enduser, I would stay with the name I have and invest the rest of the cash in marketing.

•••
If you want a good laugh, when I first got into purchasing .tv domains back in May I contacted sports.tv and offered a whopping sum of $5,000; upset I did not get a response. :D

With such a hefty renewal back then I wouldn't have offered more than $5 for it ;)

•••
All the usual hype,

"I would have paid double" - Yeah right

"Will be worth hundreds of thousands in a few years" - Yeah right

"Will only grow in value" - As silly as arguing it will only fall in value - crystal balls??

•••
In the wrong hands... every domain is a bad buy.
In the right hands... time will tell.

I think this name may be in the right hands.

•••
I think this name may be in the right hands.

Looks to be in the hands of a domainer, so if the suggestion is that high quality development is likely to happen I very much doubt it.

•••
Looks to be in the hands of a domainer, so if the suggestion is that high quality development is likely to happen I very much doubt it.

You certainly have a low opinion of a 'species' that you yourself are a part of, or so it seems.

In general, domainers don't have resources to 'properly' develop all their domains, but I'm certain a large portion do try to develop the stars of their portfolio.

And not all development need be webcentric, a business is much more than a great website and I'm sure we're all well aware of that.

•••
You certainly have a low opinion of a 'species' that you yourself are a part of, or so it seems.

In general, domainers don't have resources to 'properly' develop all their domains, but I'm certain a large portion do try to develop the stars of their portfolio.

Just saying it how it is, domainers are generally not good at developing sites, especially something as complicated and high cost as a site based around video.

In my opinion nothing very much will happen with this, if you think differently, great, let's see how it goes.

And not all development need be webcentric, a business is much more than a great website and I'm sure we're all well aware of that.

Yes, the site needn't be "webcentric". The domain owner could buy a sports store, and do nothing with the name.

Where do these statements come from? Only in .tv land.

•••

I wouldn't say Snoop is self-loathing, but as you put it domainers don't have resources. When you have a top keyword like sports, a crappy MFA, a blog or any form of low-level web development will not just cut it. It's not by chance that so many premium name like sex.com have been parked forever. High-caliber domains need very strong development, and domainers don't have the adequate resources to bring about the kind of development their domains deserve.

Without development that name will not earn anything. It will be a trophy name. Hence my comment about capital being tied up. IMO it cannot be flipped easily, regardless of what some are suggesting.
With $49,050 you can purchase some pretty good domains that that also produce revenue.

BTW sports.tv is on whois privacy, do we know who bought it ?

•••
I think you have dev resources if you can plop down $50k for 1 domain.

On a side note, I think I'm going to pony up $54k for the backorder just in case...LOL.

•••
Some domainers are savvy enough to have both investors, partners, and a team to develop, deploy and market. Some domainers are savvy and high profile enough to have both investors, partners, and teams with connections to be people who have the resources to develop.

Cutting to the chase. There are domainers and there are those who work in the domain space. They aren't the same thing.

Let's give the benefit of the doubt to the new owner. I doubt VERY seriously that this was not a considered purchase. The owner has stated unequivocally that this IS his business. He has spent hourse and days and weeks on understanding this space better than most. As a result - he knows it better than most and I'm sure has eyes wide open. For all we know this was zero cost based on other sales - the portfolio he holds it would be foolish to believe that this was his only cost and there was no offsetting income. But that's speculative.

No one knows what will happen so I think at this point the only thing we should do is not congratulate the owner all make false pronouncements about bargains, or deals or make early statements about the demise of .TV ... and just wish him the best with his investment and hope it brings success.

So from me. Just a big good luck and I hope it works for you whatever your plans are.

•••
•••
It's possible to outsource development when you have the money, what's more difficult to outsource is the ideas and the vision :)

•••
It's possible to outsource development when you have the money, what's more difficult to outsource is the ideas and the vision :)

I'll let the advertising, marketing and PR industry know right away!

Good luck to the new owner whoever they may be.

•••

On a side note, I think I'm going to pony up $54k for the backorder just in case...LOL.

Resources (cash) is a very different to having development skills, and just hiring a bunch of people to do it all without the owner having skills isn't likely to work out. Lots of speculators can spend 50k on a name but building a successful site and getting a decent ROI is another thing entirely, especially a site based around video.

•••
Where do these statements come from? Only in .tv land.
I have a couple of offline businesses where the domain is important for brand protection and marketing, not for the site. GolfKraft.com is one such, it creates golf courses, site has no relevance. Media.TV is a VOD platform, again the website per se won't be the focus, but the way it's helped us in creating / marketing the project makes the domain important, but not the website.

When you have a top keyword like sports, a crappy MFA, a blog or any form of low-level web development will not just cut it.
I agree with this entirely.

Lots of speculators can spend 50k on a name but building a successful site and getting a decent ROI is another thing entirely, especially a site based around video.
Again, I agree completely, video brings with it an entirely new subset of development issues and its not for the faint hearted for sure.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back