IT.COM

Spammer wants to register an unregged name for me!

NameSilo
Watch
I don't expect anyone HERE to fall for this, but if you have gullible clients with domain names give them a "heads up". I got a laugh out of it, but I know someone going to be suckered in by this -

Got this "official looking" email - apparently they scraped whois to get my info - trying to trick me into registering (through them) an UNREGGED name. Same name (different extension) as a name I just dropped.

I seem to remember seeing an s-mail version of this - guess the postage got too expensive for them :D?

-------------------------------------
Subject: Domain Notification: (My name) This is your Final Notice of Domain Notification

Domain Extensions - United States Country TLD
848 N. Rainbow Blvd. #2333
Las Vegas, NV 89107
United States of America

Fax: 1 (718) 865-9120

Notice Tracking Number - B110308FO

NOTICE
ATT: (deleted)
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTACT
(address data deleted)
www.[the unregged domain].US

Domain Name: [the unregged domain].US
Is Now Available for Registration

Requested Reply
November 3rd,2008

Please be advised that the above noted domain name has now become available for registration.
Consequently the possibility of a conflicting domain registration may occur.

IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE UNITED STATES LEGAL CODE
(scary legal stuff copied from UDRP put here to sound official)

TITLE 15, Sec 1125. False descriptions, and dilution of Trademarks and the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP)
Be advised: Protecting a domain name registrant or trademark owner from confusing and/or conflicting domain name registrations is not the responsibility of the domain and trademark registration processes. In the event of a registration of the above noted domain by a third party, the UDRP may be applied under the following conditions.

Evidence of Registration and Use in Bad Faith. - For the purposes of Paragraph 4(a)(iii), the following circumstances, in particular but without limitation, if found by the Panel to be present, shall be evidence of the registration and use of a domain name in bad faith:

(i) circumstances indicating that the domain name registered or acquired the domain name primarily for the purpose of selling, renting, or otherwise transferring the domain name registration to the complainant who is the owner of the trademark or service mark or a competitor of that complainant, for valuable consideration in excess of your documented out-of-pocket costs directly related to the domain name; or
(ii) the domain name has been registered in order to prevent the owner of the trademark or service mark from reflecting the mark in a corresponding domain name, provided that you have engaged in a pattern of such conduct; or
(iii) the domain name has been registered primarily for the purpose of disrupting the business of a competitor; or (iv) by using the domain name, registrant has intentionally attempted to attract, for commercial gain, Internet users to their web site or other on-line location, by creating a likelihood of confusion with the complainant's mark as to the source, sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement or your web site or location or of a product or service of a web site or location.

In addition to remedies provided for by the URDP, section 4a (1)(2)(3) & b (1)(2)(3)(4) existing registrants, trademark and service mark owners are provided by DNNP on domain names that are identical with new ccTLD, TLD extensions, or domain names that are confusingly similar to their own.

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Note: you may disregard this notice. If you disregard this notice or fail to reply:
(a) The licensing rights of this domain name may be assigned to any other applicant who wishes to register it,
(b) DNNP and or any ICANN accredited registrar will not be liable for loss of domain name license, identical or confusingly similar use of your company's domain name; or interruption of business activity or business losses.

If you fail to register this domain it may be registered by any third party without further notice. Please advise us of your intent to (a) secure this domain name or (b) to leave this domain name for Public Registration.
(yeah - I'll get RIGHT back to you on that :D )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOMAIN REGISTRATION FORM

This is not a bill, you are under no obligation to register this domain. Should you wish to register [the unregged domain].US, please complete and agree to the following as it applies to you. Once we receive your request to register this domain, we will send you further instructions on how to make a payment. Please be aware that payments for domain registrations are non-refundable.

Domain Registration Form - Register [the unregged domain].US

Please ensure that your contact information is correct or make the necessary changes.
Full Name: (deleted) Domain: [the unregged domain].US
Telephone #: (deleted) Email: (deleted)
Today's Date: _______________________ Signature: ____________________________
Notice Tracking Number - B110308FO

Once you have completed all the required information,
please return it to us by fax 1 (718) 865-9120

-------------------------- end of message ----------

Don't know what kind of inflated price they were planning to charge to register this name for me and I don't intend to ask.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back