IT.COM

sales Sony is not willing to pay $10,000 to buy Crackle Plus domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Should Sony pay-up for the Crackle Domain Name?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Soofi

Love Domain NamesTop Member
Impact
When will these Fortune 500 companies learn to pay up???????

Sony is looking to own the domain name, Crackle in order to ensure its domain service on the web so that people enjoy its video streaming service.

However, the domain name, Crackle has already been owned by a person who demands $10,000 for the ownership of the domain name. Sony has not been seeing to buy crackle from the person at such price and it is looking to negotiate the deal with the help of the service named DigitalAgents (DomainAgents maybe?).

Many other video streaming companies such as Netflix and HBO possess the ownership of their domain name. Similarly, Sony already owns Crackle but it does not have the ownership of its domain name.

In the coming future, Crackle Plus premium offering is going to come which would require the domain name. But for that, Sony needs to pay the $10,000 to the Pakistan resident, Muhammad Abdullah who already owned Crackle Plus.com since October 2017. Abdullah is claiming to start his own entertainment website on the same domain name which simply hints that he is looking to settle the deal with Sony at the right price. There are cheap domains available but as Sony already has Crackle domain so it is beneficial to buy its domain name to secure its trademark and website.

Sony has sought the help of the service called DomainAgents in order to negotiate the deal. DigitalAgents has expertise in buying and selling domain names with registered trademarks which are owned by individuals outside the US. Abdullah has kept his stand firm as he doesn’t want to negotiate the price at any cost. Also, as CracklePlus trademark is registered with Abdullah so he has an advantage in this context.

The complication in this issue is that Sony no longer completely owns Crackle as its subsidiary, Sony Pictures Television sold the stake of its free streaming site to Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment (CSS Entertainment). Both Sony and CSS are joined under the name Crackle Plus which would be based on ad-supported video streaming. In order to excel in the sector of video streaming, Sony and CSS Entertainment first needs to buy the domain name, Crackle in order to secure their trademark as well as website.

Source article here.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Does this really qualify as "Domain Industry News"?

The article itself is confusing as well. It was written by someone named "Harvey Wilham" but seems more like a press release for the domain owner.

But for that, Sony needs to pay the $10,000 to the Pakistan resident, Muhammad Abdullah who already owned Crackle Plus.com since October 2017. Abdullah is claiming to start his own entertainment website on the same domain name which simply hints that he is looking to settle the deal with Sony at the right price.

I don't think that is a good negotiation tactic.

Also, as CracklePlus trademark is registered with Abdullah so he has an advantage in this context.

Where is this TM registered? I don't see it in the TESS database.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

The article itself is confusing as well. It was written by someone named "Harvey Wilham" but seems more like a press release for the domain owner.

Brad
My thoughts exactly

•••
I think it does, as we all struggle with something similar daily, when endusers make ridiculously low offers on our domain names and some even go to an extent of threatening of legal route without having to pay up.

I respect your opinion that you think such an article doesn’t qualify for a domain name industry news, but than there are some others who’ll probably think otherwise and namepros cater to both categories :)

Brad

•••
Can you explain what this article is exactly?

It just seems like a press release for the domain owner. The writer has way too much information about negotiations to be some random 3rd party.

Also Crackle has a TM since 2007 regarding streaming, and the article says the owner has owned the domain since 2017 and is "claiming to start his own entertainment website on the same domain name". That is ridiculous in my view. It is a bad negotiation tactic and is not going to compel Sony to buy the domain.

Also, the article references the owner having a TM. Where is it registered? It is not in the TESS database.

Brad

•••
suppose they decide to use another name like 'crackle premium' or 'crackle stream'

or even 'crackle2' or cracklepro'

don't see them being in a position where they "need" to buy crackleplus, when they can make up a name.

and I agree, this is not industry news, it should be a private negotiation between parties
and maybe if a sale is made, then it can be news

imo...

•••
I'm confused. The WHOIS for crackle.com shows Sony as the current owners?

•••
I'm confused. The WHOIS for crackle.com shows Sony as the current owners?

Yeah, they do already own Crackle.com.

This is regarding "Crackle Plus" dot com. That is what the article says.

Brad

•••
They dont need crackleplus.com

•••
Yeah, they do already own Crackle.com.

This is regarding "Crackle Plus" dot com. That is what the article says.

Brad

It is a very poorly written article.

Sony is looking to own the domain name, Crackle is what is stated in the first sentence, and also the first sentence of the second paragraph. Not Crackle Plus.

Awfully confusing, but if they own crackle.com why do they need crackleplus.com.

•••
•••

Sony is looking to own the domain name, Crackle in order to ensure its domain service on the web so that people enjoy its video streaming service.

However, the domain name, Crackle has already been owned by a person who demands $10,000 for the ownership of the domain name. Sony has not been seeing to buy crackle from the person at such price and it is looking to negotiate the deal with the help of the service named DigitalAgents (DomainAgents maybe?).

Many other video streaming companies such as Netflix and HBO possess the ownership of their domain name. Similarly, Sony already owns Crackle but it does not have the ownership of its domain name.

In the coming future, Crackle Plus premium offering is going to come which would require the domain name. But for that, Sony needs to pay the $10,000 to the Pakistan resident, Muhammad Abdullah who already owned Crackle Plus.com since October 2017. Abdullah is claiming to start his own entertainment website on the same domain name which simply hints that he is looking to settle the deal with Sony at the right price. There are cheap domains available but as Sony already has Crackle domain so it is beneficial to buy its domain name to secure its trademark and website.

Sony has sought the help of the service called DomainAgents in order to negotiate the deal. DigitalAgents has expertise in buying and selling domain names with registered trademarks which are owned by individuals outside the US. Abdullah has kept his stand firm as he doesn’t want to negotiate the price at any cost. Also, as CracklePlus trademark is registered with Abdullah so he has an advantage in this context.

The complication in this issue is that Sony no longer completely owns Crackle as its subsidiary, Sony Pictures Television sold the stake of its free streaming site to Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment (CSS Entertainment). Both Sony and CSS are joined under the name Crackle Plus which would be based on ad-supported video streaming. In order to excel in the sector of video streaming, Sony and CSS Entertainment first needs to buy the domain name, Crackle in order to secure their trademark as well as website.

Source article here.

That's like saying Apple needs ApplePlus if they launch a plus service of some kind.

Reality check here....

They only need crackle

Then use a sub domain plus.crackle.com or go with crackle.com/plus

Sony is correct not to purchase the plus domain, they don't need it, they just need to hire someone that understands domain names.

If you own your .com you need nothing else.

•••
Not my name and article guys.. I just read something on the Internet about "Crackle" and shared.

I was of the opinion that article is talking about Crackle.com and nothing else :( If you read the poll question, it clearly says "Crackle domain name", not Crackle Plus.

Everyone has an opinion and we should respect it :)

•••
If the seller is doing these PR thing and all, he's definitely doing the wrong thing.

•••
This post hinders the sale as it is negative to say they won't buy it. Most companies like their purchases private.

•••
If you know that Sony owns Crackle .com, why would you register Crackle Plus .com ?!
I will not pay for that domain to be honest, rather go through TM process.

•••
As a general rule. Japanese companies are fairly stingy about buying registered domain names. Look at the Nissan saga. It's something in their psyche. They would rather spend money to try to bankrupt you rather than purchase the domain from you. They think might is right. And from looking from at the situation CacklePlus.com, I think Sony are using this same psyche. And I think they will win, even if it costs them more than $10k to do so. They don't want to give the impression that they will be scammed easily. I can sympathize with that. Where do you draw the line, to prevent any tom, dick, or harry scamming you? You draw the line at the very beginning. Particularly if you have deep pockets.

•••
As a general rule. Japanese companies are fairly stingy about buying registered domain names. Look at the Nissan saga. It's something in their psyche. They would rather spend money to try to bankrupt you rather than purchase the domain from you. They think might is right. And from looking from at the situation CacklePlus.com, I think Sony are using this same psyche. And I think they will win, even if it costs them more than $10k to do so. They don't want to give the impression that they will be scammed easily. I can sympathize with that. Where do you draw the line, to prevent any tom, dick, or harry scamming you? You draw the line at the very beginning. Particularly if you have deep pockets.

Except that the Nissan guy was right.

•••
Except that the Nissan guy was right.

Yep. Agree totally. That's the difference between the 2 examples. But the treatment by the 2 companies is about the same. Just much more harsh in the Nissan case than in the CracklePlus.com case (so far).

•••
If you know that Sony owns Crackle .com, why would you register Crackle Plus .com ?!
I will not pay for that domain to be honest, rather go through TM process.

Exactly, i wouldn't hand over $10k either if i was Sony, clearly an infringement.

Last edited:
•••
I hate reading articles that you have to figure out what the article actually says. WOT

•••
Everyone has an opinion and we should respect it
And your ‘opinion’ is that a Fortune 500 company is supposed to ‘pay up’ for every domain they’re interested in just to please a domainers ‘want’ of the most money they can get for their domain?!? :xf.rolleyes: Good grief.

•••
So the owner of CracklePlus.com registered a name that blatantly is trying to profit from an established trademark, gets lucky that the affected company actually wants the name, and is playing the victim card because they don't want to pay 10K?

Give me a break.

•••
And your ‘opinion’ is that a Fortune 500 company is supposed to ‘pay up’ for every domain they’re interested in just to please a domainers ‘want’ of the most money they can get for their domain?!? :xf.rolleyes: Good grief.

my opinion is none of your business to start with.. but if you really want to put your nose into it, lets start by saying that if you or any other person wants my ASSET, they will have to PAY-UP!

Hope that helps!

•••
my opinion is none of your business to start with.. but if you really want to put your nose into it, lets start by saying that if you or any other person wants my ASSET, they will have to PAY-UP!

Hope that helps!
Stick my nose it it? I'm sorry am I not to comment on anything you write because you get "yor wittle feeelings hurrtt." awwwhhh :xf.cry: I just replied to what 'you' wrote.

•••
Back