Dynadot

question Someone listed my domain in Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Moaz_2406

Established Member
Impact
One week ago I bought a domain name and then wanted to list it on Afternic but when I went to list it I got the " domain is listed in afternic" message, even though I didn't list anything and I checked whois to see if a problem happened but I found my information there so I am the owner of the domain. How did he list it and how to solve this problem because I can't list it there.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Contact their support and ask them to remove it so that you can add it.
It should have been listed by one of the previous owners and he/she didn't remove it from the profile yet.

Last edited:
•••
One week ago I bought a domain name and then wanted to list it on Afternic but when I went to list it I got the " domain is listed in afternic" message, even though I didn't list anything and I checked whois to see if a problem happened but I found my information there so I am the owner of the domain. How did he list it and how to solve this problem because I can't list it there.
The likely answer is that a previous owner forgot to remove the domain from their marketplace. There is a possibility that a fraudulent seller has the listing there. Afternic has yet to mandate domain verification for listings, so it has been a recurring issue.

If you have privacy off on the domain, Afternic will likely be able to quickly fix this matter. As noted above, a support ticket or direct call will likely remedy this (calling likely the faster response).

Last edited:
•••
You need to provide a screenshot of ownership to get it removed from that account. The scammers and lazy prior owners don’t have to provide proof of anything. Whoever adds it first is accepted.

•••
Is the screenshot necessary, even if privacy is off? If the ownership information is readily available in whois and the icann lookup, why would the screenshot be needed? He as already been inconvenienced by this issue.

And, BTW, sorry to hear that you have to go through this trouble. Eventually, hopefully, ongoing verifications of ownership will be mandatory on the marketplaces. Sedo, for initial listing, mandates verification. Afternic and Dan still do not, but hopefully that will change with the ongoing integrations--eventually.

Last edited:
•••
Did you list on Godaddy? It may automatically qualify. 5k?

Last edited:
•••

It's likely from an old listing. Best thing to do at the moment is email [email protected].

•••
The funniest thing is when you buy a domain at godaddy auctions/closeouts and have it in your account but cannot list it in afternic, because it's already listed. And you need to send godaddy a screenshot from godaddy to prove to godaddy that your domain is at your godaddy account. ;)

•••
The funniest thing is when you buy a domain at godaddy auctions/closeouts and have it in your account but cannot list it in afternic, because it's already listed. And you need to send godaddy a screenshot from godaddy to prove to godaddy that your domain is at your godaddy account. ;)
Makes you wonder about the company? Perhaps they will be reconsidering their protocol. Surely, they will wish to instill more confidence in their quality management and customer support, by simplifying these steps in the future?

Last edited:
•••

Whoever is running GoDaddy's Department of Redundancy Department is doing an amazing job.

•••
Is the screenshot necessary, even if privacy is off? If the ownership information is readily available in whois and the icann lookup, why would the screenshot be needed? He as already been inconvenienced by this issue.

And, BTW, sorry to hear that you have to go through this trouble. Eventually, hopefully, ongoing verifications of ownership will be mandatory on the marketplaces. Sedo, for initial listing, mandates verification. Afternic and Dan still do not, but hopefully that will change with the ongoing integrations--eventually.
I never send a screenshot. My domains are at Godaddy and they can look up the whois. I just let them know that the domain is already listed and can they remove it. Lately, in less than 3 days I get an email letting me know that I can now list the domain. If you have it registered somewhere else, that part may not be the same.

•••
•••
Send yourself an offer.
Are you saying to send an offer to the fraudulent domain listing? Your posting raised an interesting point, and I'd be delighted to hear your perspective for any creative solutions for this ongoing issue.

•••
Are you saying to send an offer to the fraudulent domain listing? Your posting raised an interesting point, and I'd be delighted to hear your perspective for any creative solutions for this ongoing issue.
I would let the fraudster try buy it as they have such a great offer on the go. If willing to part with name for a few hundred offer a few k then let it go void from not paying as already voided when they didn't own domain.

Last edited:
•••
I would let the fraudster try buy it as they have such a great offer on the go. If willing to part with name for a few hundred offer a few k then let it go void from not paying as already voided when they didn't own domain.
I actually did try clicking on one of the "make offer" pages on a fake listing I found on a marketplace. I didn't recall submitting an actual offer amount. Somehow, it did get processed to appear as if I was actually making a $100 offer on what was really my own domain. Fortunately, that marketplace removed this, as well as the fraudulent listing.

At this point, I've decided instead that every time I find a new fake listing, it will not only be reported to the marketplace, but also to Trust Pilot. And, since there are other oversights at the federal and state level for fair trade and good business practices, continued problems appear to merit reporting to those agencies as well.

If a business knows they have a problem fraudulent selling, there either needs to be a prompt correction of it, or appropriate consequences for their lack of action.

•••
I actually did try clicking on one of the "make offer" pages on a fake listing I found on a marketplace. I didn't recall submitting an actual offer amount. Somehow, it did get processed to appear as if I was actually making a $100 offer on what was really my own domain. Fortunately, that marketplace removed this, as well as the fraudulent listing.

At this point, I've decided instead that every time I find a new fake listing, it will not only be reported to the marketplace, but also to Trust Pilot. And, since there are other oversights at the federal and state level for fair trade and good business practices, continued problems appear to merit reporting to those agencies as well.

If a business knows they have a problem fraudulent selling, there either needs to be a prompt correction of it, or appropriate consequences for their lack of action.
The thing is the staff are stupid enough to mark you as the scammer.

•••
The brokers are the one advertising your names you will get the offer but likely lower than what you had in mind. Track the seller back to yourself even when you didn't authorize.

Last edited:
•••
The thing is the staff are stupid enough to mark you as the scammer.
No, actually they knew that I had alerted them to a fake seller. And, to Daaz's credit, they did very quickly remove the listing. As for the seller from Morocco that was doing the fake listing, I'm not certain that there were any repercussions to that individuals actions.

Their level of responsiveness was refreshing compared to my experiences elsewhere.
Hopefully our original poster not have as much trouble in the future with fake listings, because the truth about the severity of this problem is starting to become apparent. Hopefully, GD/Afternic/Dan will choose to voluntarily fix the problem, or otherwise they may end up facing some serious consequences due to their inaction. .

•••
You need to provide a screenshot of ownership to get it removed from that account. The scammers and lazy prior owners don’t have to provide proof of anything. Whoever adds it first is accepted.

I just sent a screenshot for this issue as well. We will see how fast, if at all, Afternic responds. Weird that someone would suddenly post a name I've owned for 10 years for sale on Afternic. What's the scam? Would could they hope to gain? The domain is under my name and locked. They can't transfer it even if they "sold" it.

•••
Would could they hope to gain? The domain is under my name and locked. They can't transfer it even if they "sold" it.
Probably they would buy your domain through the other market where you have listed it and then transfer it their buyer in case their listing was sold? If that's their idea, they would have listed it higher than the your price so as to gain the difference if there was a deal.

•••
There is an easy verification process you can follow buy adding a third nameserver.
Usually solved within a minute

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back