NameSilo

Someone is squatting on gmail addresses, using domainers' IDs!!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Defend Your ID and Reputation!!!

Domain Magnate (Domain Magnate » Blog Archive » Someone Snatched My Email!) has posted a disturbing article about gmail squatting. Evidently, someone is registering gmails, using the ID handles of various domainers, both well-known and less known.

Sure enough, when I checked to see if MsDomainer [at] gmail [dot] com was available, it was taken. In fact, even the variations were gone.

I checked Yahoo! as well--MsDomainer was still available, so I took it, just as a defensive move.

I can think of only two reasons an outside party would want to squat on an ID that someone else uses regularly on blogs, forums, and even in commerce:

1. To try selling the account to the ID owner (I’m not interested, by the way—I have just switched to domain-based emails for my business).

2. To scam others, using the gmail address to masquerade as the rightful ID owner. This second possibility is more disturbing because one’s reputation could be sullied in a domain scam perpetrated by the “owner” of the gmail account!​

So I just want everyone to know that I am NOT the owner of MsDomainer [at] gmail [dot] com and that if you receive domain offers from this gmail, or ANY FREEBIE email using MsDomainer or its variations, it's not from me.

Starting today, when I send out emails to potential buyers or sellers, such sales messages will NOT originate from a freebie gmail or email account, but from a domain-based email, one that offers my Whois information in the light of day.

My message to you: I recommend that you check to see if your ID is available in both Gmail and Yahoo! and, if they are, to sign them up. Most importantly, keep vigilant.

Protect Your ID, even if it’s just an identity that you use on your blogs and in forums!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The point is, defaultuser, we're worried that a scammer might be doing damage under our user ID's. I have used Ms Domainer for three years and have the domain to match.

But it is just a "userid". Do you own this on DNF, TheDomains, WordPress, Hotmail, Yahoo, Namepros, Amazon, Twitter, Tumblr, Posterous, Facebook, AdultFriendFinder, FourSquare, SecondLife...

I understand your concern.
I understand that there is a benefit to controlling your identity.
I agree that you should get the main sites as much as possible.

But the internet is one giant mesh of hundreds of namespaces that you can't control. Admittedly gmail is a popular and large one.

But there are more effective ways to scam as you and I think that the level of concern is higher than warranted. It's an opinion :red:

DU.

•••
those are used for spamming, not scamming

people in low-wage countries create gmail/yahoo/hotmail accounts (semi)manually, then those emails accounts are sold in bulk to spammers

those screennames are harvested on the forums or wherever by bots because they have a higher value than names with random letters and numbers

Last edited:
•••
I secured my username a few years ago.

•••

Defend Your ID and Reputation!!!
----

:hi:

For anyone interested I found 5 more Domainer User IDs
taken in gmail accounts by the same person using the
Recovery email address I discovered earlier:
••••••@h••••••.com

The 5 are:
Seven Mile (Frank Schilling)
Fusible
DNJournal (Ron Jackson)
Abel Arif
Domain Name News (Frank Michlick)
--
--

Password assistance for [email protected]

How can Google contact you about recovering your account?
Email to ••••••@h••••••.com
--

--

--

--

--

•••
•••
Only amateurs use free webmail email accounts. I can't recall a domainer ever emailing me from anything other than a domain based email. Simply seeing @gmail.com would be a red flag that the person I was dealing with was, at best, inexperienced.

•••
Only amateurs use free webmail email accounts. I can't recall a domainer ever emailing me from anything other than a domain based email. Simply seeing @gmail.com would be a red flag that the person I was dealing with was, at best, inexperienced.

Domainers understand this, but an end user not familiar with the industry might not be aware.

I have sold domains to end users using gmail, but now I have changed my sales email address to a domain-based email.

I did do a search on my User ID gmail and found nothing suspicious.

defaultuser, I realize that we can't wield significant control over the internet, nor would I want to try; however, warranted or not, gmail is respected by a lot of people, and I just believe that due dilligence is required, perhaps a once-a-month search on the user name.

Yahoo! and Hotmail/Live must be considered less desirable because I was able to secure these addresses.

•••
•••
Wondering if it could be because the hosting service or register might prescreen email and not let u see an email that has an offer in fear of losing business ?? Any thoughts?

•••
hey guys, I use an email from my domain, so this didn't bother this much.

I think that a reasonable possibility is that some people simply create huge amounts of gmail accounts and scraped a list of usernames from some forums or other sites.

The 'h' likely belongs to hotmail.com so it's also possible that these belong to different accounts. It does make sense to use a hotmail account as a backup for gmail.

The more sinister possibility is also very likely though

•••

SiberForum,

Why a PM?

I already gave you two examples. I leave it up to the rest of you to check your own user names.

Why not check your own ID to see if someone has claimed it at the various freebie emails?

And then post your result here.

If someone has snagged an email/gmail address in your identity, there isn't much you can do about it EXCEPT let people know that it isn't YOU.

Yes, I should have claimed my ID gmail long ago--definitely my bad.

of the two eg gmail or yahoo which would you say is the better email provider? just a thought

the only reason i ask is that i bought a .com domain and registered its gmail equivalent

•••
@platey - gMail, has by far the best spam protection on the planet. Infrastructure rock solid. Why do you think most of the discussion has been about gMail. Because it is the premier free email account

•••
@platey - gMail, has by far the best spam protection on the planet. Infrastructure rock solid. Why do you think most of the discussion has been about gMail. Because it is the premier free email account

music to my ears lol

•••

alcy has been taken for ages. so I can't say someone is squatting me.
you would need ids like "435j54j35k4" to get some conclusive evidence here.
or access to account creation dates.. to compare.

i love gmail.
and chrome
everything google touches is golddddddd.
they are like the artiste of technology.

Last edited:
•••
so the latest global trend at the moment involving amazon and google? lol

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back