NameSilo

warning Someone attempting to sell my domain on Dan without consent

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LoveCatchyDomains

Daring to LiveTop Member
Impact
Has anyone recently had someone try to sell one of your domains on Dan?" A domain that you own and didn't authorize?
I had just posted my new purchase on NamePros Reg of the Day. I was having difficulty uploading the domain to my Dan account for unclear reasons.
When I put the domain name in the url, I saw that someone else has listed this without my consent and clearly without owning it.
Has anyone else on the forum had this experience, especially after posting a domain name here?
Hopefully the message sent just now to Dan will help resolve this promptly.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
You are an amazing sleuth! Keep up the great work. Hopefully Dan will respond.

•••
I regged a name last week and pointed the name servers to Dan, looked this morning and the name servers had been changed to ns1.domain control and ns2.domain control. Does anyone know what this means ?

•••
I regged a name last week and pointed the name servers to Dan, looked this morning and the name servers had been changed to ns1.domain control and ns2.domain control. Does anyone know what this means ?
Those are Godaddy Nameservers. Is that where you regged it?

•••
•••
There's definitely a scam scheme behind something like this. Perhaps like offering a big discount if paying via crypto elsewhere, not on Dan. If they can circumvent Dan seeing this sale outside of the platform somehow.

•••
What are you talking about? Fraud or fake sellers hurt DAN reputation? Do you know how many thousands of fake sellers are uploading others domains every day and remain on Afternic/GoDaddy? And their reputation is intact 😂

That's a good point. Prior to this post, I was not aware that this appears to be a widespread problem also at other domain marketplaces.

•••
5 times in the past week i attempted to list meta domains on dan and got rejected, because they were already listed there. i thought they were still listed by a former owner but a check showed that i was the first to register them. i think they were listed as make offer and if they were approached they would try to purchase from the real owner for a lower price, if it worked it didn't, if it didn't it didn't. i did not report the regs here so i think they just trolled around. one thing dan can pick up from godaddy is verification.
They have verification on DAN two ways actually. DAN and Afternic need to do better about blocking accounts that pull this crap.

I also had a good amount of domains in others accounts at Afternic that I have had for years. I don’t consider me having to take millions of screenshots a good form of verification.

•••
Wow, still going on! Good job doing the sleuthing.
I'm sure Dan and GoDaddy have a vested interest in correcting these issues. Both companies provide a service that is invaluable to honest folks trying to sell their domains. Perhaps these other domains are listed by accident by the individuals who don't actually own them. Nonetheless, the issue hopefully will be resolved quickly.

•••
My advice is to list all domains on DAN in case you show your names here on Namepros & probably they watch other forums

Cheers

🤗
Thanks for the keen insight. Prior to listing anything on Namepros, I guess it makes sense to make certain it is already listed on DAN.
Note that, since my original post, my sympathy has increased for those who accidentally didn't remove the domains which they have dropped or sold. It really does take vigilance, to eliminate any listings associated with it. If someone has a very large portfolio, I could imagine the task could be very daunting.
As for those who are posting the domains intentionally, without ever having had ownership, hopefully DAN would deal with those accounts swiftly and firmly. Perhaps, if such behavior had a risk of being permanently banned from DAN, the perpetrators wouldn't try it in the first place.

•••
Thanks for the keen insight. Prior to listing anything on Namepros, I guess it makes sense to make certain it is already listed on DAN.
Note that, since my original post, my sympathy has increased for those who accidentally didn't remove the domains which they have dropped or sold. It really does take vigilance, to eliminate any listings associated with it. If someone has a very large portfolio, I could imagine the task could be very daunting.
As for those who are posting the domains intentionally, without ever having had ownership, hopefully DAN would deal with those accounts swiftly and firmly. Perhaps, if such behavior had a risk of being permanently banned from DAN, the perpetrators wouldn't try it in the first place.
When i talk with customer service via chat they say will take action...if they do i dont know 🤷

•••
Has anyone recently had someone try to sell one of your domains on Dan?" A domain that you own and didn't authorize?
I had just posted my new purchase on NamePros Reg of the Day. I was having difficulty uploading the domain to my Dan account for unclear reasons.
When I put the domain name in the url, I saw that someone else has listed this without my consent and clearly without owning it.
Has anyone else on the forum had this experience, especially after posting a domain name here?
Hopefully the message sent just now to Dan will help resolve this promptly.
Yes, just write to support and they remove old listing.

•••
In some scenarios, nobody will make any $$$ because of fraudulent listings. For example:

1. You listed the domain on SedoMLS for $5K, but not on Afternic.

2. Fraudster listed your domain for $10K on Afternic (directly or via DAN).

3. Network Solutions, being a partner of both networks, elected to show more expensive listing (10K), as they received the same domain from both networks but with different prices.

4. Potential buyer performed an exact domain search on Netsol, received $10K BIN and decided that it is too expensive. He was willing to pay $5K maximum. So he purchased alternative domain.

5. You lost a sale.

Yeah, possibly. Although I believe that if you list on Afternic and Sedo that's what you need to do as these will be syndicated everywhere.

Forgot to mention I always list both on Sedo and Afternic.

Other thing is, you can't control everything.

You might have lost a sale; but in the time wasted to hunt for this you can make money finding other better names. Or managing your portfolio with the result of even more sales.

•••
Sure thing. But that's not something we need to police ourselves. I know better than to waste time on that. As I said there are simpler options.

It should be ensured by the marketplaces.
Yes, one wonders how many actual seller domains would have already sold if domain frontrunning wasn't happening? Some folks here have very large portfolios, which may make it all the more difficult to them to monitor for domain frontrunning. The marketplaces need to step up to the plate here.
The problem has not been unique to DAN. Recent Trust Pilot reviews show other marketplaces are still having this issue. Which means that the reputation of the industry continues to be harmed by this practice.
For myself, it appears that the fraudulent listings are still there on DAN, despite alerting customer service to the problem. I've now contacted Afternic, to point out the issue with these Fast Transfer domains. Hopefully, they will also check to see if this is a more widespread problem as a potential domain frontrunning scheme.

•••
Yes, one wonders how many actual seller domains would have already sold if domain frontrunning wasn't happening? Some folks here have very large portfolios, which may make it all the more difficult to them to monitor for domain frontrunning. The marketplaces need to step up to the plate here.
The problem has not been unique to DAN. Recent Trust Pilot reviews show other marketplaces are still having this issue. Which means that the reputation of the industry continues to be harmed by this practice.
For myself, it appears that the fraudulent listings are still there on DAN, despite alerting customer service to the problem. I've now contacted Afternic, to point out the issue with these Fast Transfer domains. Hopefully, they will also check to see if this is a more widespread problem as a potential domain frontrunning scheme.

If you're really that concerned about this, then go full make offer. If your domains are good, then the results will not be as far from BIN ones, if not, perhaps, better.

As I said, I have better things to do than to police this hence I stand by this choice as the sane one.

I see this, again, very differently.

I've been in trade (not just domains) for long to know this. It's called markup. And the one who controls the thing is the one that has the buyer. Not necessarily the one that has the merchandise. Anyway.

The reason one can make their offer in some place is that you are NOT THERE.

You have 2 options:

1) Be there.

2) Let someone else fill that gap and make money while you also make money.

Again what I see here is FOMO and nothing else. Sure there are situations where it could happen but that is going to be a minority of cases.

I prefer to focus on finding better names and keep the price high.

Last edited:
•••
It still happening. Fastest solution - switch your domain name servers to Dan, and will be verified in minutes. Later switch back to previous name servers if necessary.

Probably, the only solution to this problem is listing all your domains at Dan. Even if don't want to sell.

Last edited:
•••
Issues for sure.
Can you give link for dude with 400k domains at dan please
Definitely was not a name drop or previous registration. This is the first registration of the domain.
This particular Dan account has 468,118 listings as of this moment.
Thanks, Bob, for the information on the fix. Given my success with Afternic, though, this may be the nudge I've needed to start trying their parking instead.
Thank you, both, for the insight. Annoying situation, indeed. What puzzles me even more is, how someone could have almost a half million domains and list them on Dan?

•••
•••
He has removed his profile picture from dan
@LoveCatchyDomains since we pm’d
Its a member here
It was
Listed by
域名卖家
Until couple hours ago. Now domain seller
I reported this 5 months ago, you reported it 2 months ago. They have done nothing about it. You cant park a name you dont have control of dns so its not parking.

•••
Another case: Reg'd a never-been-owned domain. Listed it on AN only. Months later, decided to list it on Dan as well. Tried to and couldn't. Searched for the domain on Dan and 5 listings popped up... all for that 1 domain, all by the same seller in question.
That's astounding. How would Dan allow five listings for one single domain? When uploading a domain, doesn't the system check to see if it is already listed? It's understandable why you wouldn't have been able to list it while this person had it uploaded. But why would they have been able to do it five times in a single account?!

•••
I honestly don’t see how this effects you. As long as they don’t have control over the domain, nothing can happen. If someone ends up buying it, Dan will ask them to transfer the domain and they won’t be able to and their account will get banned. No skin off your back!
This can cause multiple issues. But there's an obvious one
Dan reputation gets hurt, which doesn't help every domainer's subsequent attempts to sell their domains on the DAN platform.
After reading quite a few internet reviews of the big 3 aftermarkets, there is ample documentation out there that buyers really get turned off by a service that has illegitimate listings. Reviews get posted on the internet citing their experiences -- including the hassle of trying to get their money refunded. And it's pretty clear that odds are that that Aftermarket is unlikely to ever have them as a customer.
As for the individual with the real domain, don't you think they have better things to do with their time than having to deal with undoing the problem. And, keep in mind, that if someone really had wanted the domain, what are the odds that they are going to come back to put an offer on the real listing after all the mess is sorted out.
Ultimately, it can affect you and potentially all of the domainers on this forum.

•••
Another case: Reg'd a never-been-owned domain. Listed it on AN only. Months later, decided to list it on Dan as well. Tried to and couldn't. Searched for the domain on Dan and 5 listings popped up... all for that 1 domain, all by the same seller in question.
Frustrating, indeed. How did they manage to get 5 listings of the same domain name on one account? When uploading a domain to DAN, only one listing of that particular name would be permitted. The system seems to automatically block an attempt to list it more than once.

•••
Sounds like you have a really good reason to start growling right now! I wonder if any folks on the NamePros forum have had that experience as well recently?
Note that many of my domains previously parked at Dan are now switched to other parking options as of today, at least temporarily. That was my choice, given concerns about what's been going on.
In your case, sounds like something fishy is going on....

Last edited:
•••
Someone registered Lntent.xyz and claimed to remove my intent.xyz in all marketplaces.
Yesterday they removed it from DAN and today from Afternic.
I was able to relist it in DAN.com after a thorough investigation by DAN support.
So don't they really know they were registered Lntent.xyz, Lndeed.xyz, Lnform.xyz.
Funny part was they have been sending account screenshots too for verification.
What would be their motive to register this kind of name?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back