IT.COM

warning Someone attempting to sell my domain on Dan without consent

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LoveCatchyDomains

Daring to LiveTop Member
Impact
Has anyone recently had someone try to sell one of your domains on Dan?" A domain that you own and didn't authorize?
I had just posted my new purchase on NamePros Reg of the Day. I was having difficulty uploading the domain to my Dan account for unclear reasons.
When I put the domain name in the url, I saw that someone else has listed this without my consent and clearly without owning it.
Has anyone else on the forum had this experience, especially after posting a domain name here?
Hopefully the message sent just now to Dan will help resolve this promptly.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So, basically what we are continuing to see is a domain front-running schemes on these marketplaces.
Let me highlight one of your key questions:

Now if I price a domain say $5K and the guy manages to sell it for $10K, what is the wrong thing in that?
So, if someone thinks your domain is a good buy at that price, and could possibly sell for twice the amount, wouldn't you prefer that they pay you for the domain first and then list it legitimately as their own?

And don't the domain marketplaces have enough listings for the actual, legitimate sellers, without adding a whole extra layer of fake sellers trying to sell domains that they don't own? Wouldn't it be a shame if potential buyers have less opportunity to see the legitimate domains possibly due to the multitude of other listings from these unscrupulous sellers?

•••
So, basically what we are continuing to see is a domain front-running schemes on these marketplaces.
Let me highlight one of your key questions:

So, if someone thinks your domain is a good buy at that price, and could possibly sell for twice the amount, wouldn't you prefer that they pay you for the domain first and then list it legitimately as their own?

And don't the domain marketplaces have enough listings for the actual, legitimate sellers, without adding a whole extra layer of fake sellers trying to sell domains that they don't own? Wouldn't it be a shame if potential buyers have less opportunity to see the legitimate domains possibly due to the multitude of other listings from these unscrupulous sellers?

Sure thing. But that's not something we need to police ourselves. I know better than to waste time on that. As I said there are simpler options.

It should be ensured by the marketplaces.

•••
Sure thing. But that's not something we need to police ourselves. I know better than to waste time on that. As I said there are simpler options.

It should be ensured by the marketplaces.
Yes, one wonders how many actual seller domains would have already sold if domain frontrunning wasn't happening? Some folks here have very large portfolios, which may make it all the more difficult to them to monitor for domain frontrunning. The marketplaces need to step up to the plate here.
The problem has not been unique to DAN. Recent Trust Pilot reviews show other marketplaces are still having this issue. Which means that the reputation of the industry continues to be harmed by this practice.
For myself, it appears that the fraudulent listings are still there on DAN, despite alerting customer service to the problem. I've now contacted Afternic, to point out the issue with these Fast Transfer domains. Hopefully, they will also check to see if this is a more widespread problem as a potential domain frontrunning scheme.

•••
Maybe it's time for Dan to apply the same veriffication as on Sedo? If you don't verify a domain in a couple of days it gets removed.

•••
Yes, one wonders how many actual seller domains would have already sold if domain frontrunning wasn't happening? Some folks here have very large portfolios, which may make it all the more difficult to them to monitor for domain frontrunning. The marketplaces need to step up to the plate here.
The problem has not been unique to DAN. Recent Trust Pilot reviews show other marketplaces are still having this issue. Which means that the reputation of the industry continues to be harmed by this practice.
For myself, it appears that the fraudulent listings are still there on DAN, despite alerting customer service to the problem. I've now contacted Afternic, to point out the issue with these Fast Transfer domains. Hopefully, they will also check to see if this is a more widespread problem as a potential domain frontrunning scheme.

If you're really that concerned about this, then go full make offer. If your domains are good, then the results will not be as far from BIN ones, if not, perhaps, better.

As I said, I have better things to do than to police this hence I stand by this choice as the sane one.

I see this, again, very differently.

I've been in trade (not just domains) for long to know this. It's called markup. And the one who controls the thing is the one that has the buyer. Not necessarily the one that has the merchandise. Anyway.

The reason one can make their offer in some place is that you are NOT THERE.

You have 2 options:

1) Be there.

2) Let someone else fill that gap and make money while you also make money.

Again what I see here is FOMO and nothing else. Sure there are situations where it could happen but that is going to be a minority of cases.

I prefer to focus on finding better names and keep the price high.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe it's time for Dan to apply the same veriffication as on Sedo? If you don't verify a domain in a couple of days it gets removed.
Yes. Sedo had some very negative Trust Pilot reviews related to the problem in the past. They responded to the issue. Verification is now strict, and I see that their ratings overall have improved.

•••
I thought i would watch a few days first it is the brokers, and you don't have to accept. I wouldn't advertise other's domains without consent. But they ask later. If you have an offer make a decision but they will never give you opportunity to take over negotiation no matter unless you bring own inquiry. There may be more money involved.

Last edited:
•••
I thought i would watch a few days first it is the brokers, and you don't have to accept. I wouldn't advertise other's domains without consent. But they ask later. If you have an offer make a decision but they will never give you opportunity to take over negotiation no matter unless you bring own inquiry. There may be more money involved.
The listings stated domain seller, not broker. Some were fixed prices, which presumably a broker would not do but instead negotiate. The others had names in Chinese characters, so it is unclear what the account name was actually.
Don't domain brokers contact the actual domain owner after being asked to broker a deal?

Last edited:
•••
It still happening. Fastest solution - switch your domain name servers to Dan, and will be verified in minutes. Later switch back to previous name servers if necessary.

Probably, the only solution to this problem is listing all your domains at Dan. Even if don't want to sell.

Last edited:
•••
I've experienced this about a month ago, 2 of my domains were listed by username: 域名卖家 and both of them never been registered before. He/she has a lot of domains listed on Dan.com but I can't remember how many. I believe the domains are not belong to this person, not sure what the motive is but what makes sense maybe this user wants to take advantage of the Parking fee if the domain is parked at Bodis and you activate on Dan lander.
I immediately reported to Dan about this. I don't know what Dan has done to this user. If the user is the same, it means that this user has not been banned by Dan.
域名卖家 means "domain seller"

Last edited:
•••
Back