Dynadot

warning Someone attempting to sell my domain on Dan without consent

NameSilo
Watch

LoveCatchyDomains

Daring to LiveTop Member
Impact
Has anyone recently had someone try to sell one of your domains on Dan?" A domain that you own and didn't authorize?
I had just posted my new purchase on NamePros Reg of the Day. I was having difficulty uploading the domain to my Dan account for unclear reasons.
When I put the domain name in the url, I saw that someone else has listed this without my consent and clearly without owning it.
Has anyone else on the forum had this experience, especially after posting a domain name here?
Hopefully the message sent just now to Dan will help resolve this promptly.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They may have owned it before you did and just not removed it from marketplaces.

•••
Are you sure it was not a previous owner who let the name drop but did not take it off DAN? That happens all the time.

But you can list it in your name automatically really easily.
1. Log into your DAN account and under settings find your ownership TXT code.
2. Go to the registrar where you have the domain name registered, making sure its DNS are set to the registrar default for now, and under DN Records create a TXT record with your unique code.
3. After a short wait, go to DAN and add the domain name. It will check the TXT code and will take the domain out of the other account and put it in yours.

Bob

PS If you are curious if someone owned it and let it drop, then you registered it, you can use HosterStats.com to look up if the name was owned previously.

Last edited:
•••
Has anyone recently had someone try to sell one of your domains on Dan?" A domain that you own and didn't authorize?
I had just posted my new purchase on NamePros Reg of the Day. I was having difficulty uploading the domain to my Dan account for unclear reasons.
When I put the domain name in the url, I saw that someone else has listed this without my consent and clearly without owning it.
Has anyone else on the forum had this experience, especially after posting a domain name here?

I forgot about this thread, it was nice to see you post again after so long.
Anyways still major drop listing going on at Dan.com
I deleted all except one domains on May * and decided to relist them last few days.
Not to my surprise, 4 had been listed by other people(accounts)
1 account added 2 of my names, 2 accounts added 1 each.
One account linked to their main listings page and they have 239175 results including one of mine
I have removed or enlarged bin's on 4 names other accounts listed my domains at Dan.
All i did was delete them from my Dan account and change nameservers.
They must be bulk uploading huge amounts.

I see they got Friendly?Faced.com and it shows up twice in Dan listings but HugeDomains grabbed that in February. Dishonesty sucks. Alcohol too, but best we can hope for is with Dan.com having new owners that they will be sure to verify all listings. They do it with afternic, or more people won't risk losing their afternic account. At dan its oh i made a mistake, tee hee hee hee
Now after moving all my dns to dan again, i have to move them outa there. Waste my time, this is the least i could do
https://dan.com/domain-seller/ceae1...starting=friend&results=50&order_by=relevance
239,174 i see one domain has been removed from their account
friendsvotes.com
域名卖家

Make offer
friendlyskys.com
域名卖家

Make offer
friendlyskys.com
域名卖家

Make offer
friendlypool.com
域名卖家

Make offer
friendlypool.com
域名卖家

I see the same domains are listed twice somehow 2 different times in a short time.
No wonder dan.com has so many listings, that just lessens the chances of anyone finding your name there
My guess 1.5 million names at dan are unauthorized or duplicately listed

This are the news & advice from me

They are 3-4 maybe 5 persons who also have accounts here on Namperos
Get the source of domains from here

I notice 2 from China & one from India but via DAN not identify here on NP who they are

One of them from China notice i put on sale here FUK .US for xxx USD - he listed on DAN at minimum offer 30000$ 😉 .Why so high? Because word "fuk" meaning fortune in chinese & is a given name
Screenshot_20220722-121437.png

Maybe know or not but i listed FUK .US before but deleted at some point

They watch sections like "Your today domain registration" , "Your today snap..." , Marketplace section ...

They verify if are listed or not on DAN , if not they listed on his name pretend is/are the owner/s of domain/s , if you not care or notice & they get a legit offer , come to you & offer 5 , 10$..

My advice is to list all domains on DAN in case you show your names here on Namepros & probably they watch other forums

Cheers

🤗

Last edited:
•••
Maybe it's time for Dan to apply the same veriffication as on Sedo? If you don't verify a domain in a couple of days it gets removed.

•••
I get front runners on a lot of my higher priced SH names. They will list them on DAN with a higher price or make offer. I have complained many times to DAN about it and they remove them. But days later they are back on DAN. If I follow SH rules I am only allowed to list on Afternic if approved, and you are not allowed to list on DAN.
I have asked that SH at least give you a couple of txt records you can put on your account so you can at least apply a DAN one verifying your an owner even though NS point to SH. But this has not happened.

•••
That's a good point. Prior to this post, I was not aware that this appears to be a widespread problem also at other domain marketplaces.

I stopped using afternic some time ago, now people are frontrunning my domains on that platform. They're a pain to deal with.

Like the experience with dan, there's this guy listing thousands of names not owned by him.

Currently there are 436 of my domains listed on AN by frontrunners. Relatively new accounts so no doubt about their shady intentions.

AN simply asks to deliver proof of ownership. That's a lot of hassle to go through to provide.

I have now submitted all my domains again to prevent others from listing and will be busy making screens whenever I find time. AN is a joke and if they keep it up I have no doubt they will be held accountable at some point.

•••
I forgot about this thread, it was nice to see you post again after so long.
Anyways still major drop listing going on at Dan.com
I deleted all except one domains on May * and decided to relist them last few days.
Not to my surprise, 4 had been listed by other people(accounts)
1 account added 2 of my names, 2 accounts added 1 each.
One account linked to their main listings page and they have 239175 results including one of mine
I have removed or enlarged bin's on 4 names other accounts listed my domains at Dan.
All i did was delete them from my Dan account and change nameservers.
They must be bulk uploading huge amounts.

I see they got Friendly?Faced.com and it shows up twice in Dan listings but HugeDomains grabbed that in February. Dishonesty sucks. Alcohol too, but best we can hope for is with Dan.com having new owners that they will be sure to verify all listings. They do it with afternic, or more people won't risk losing their afternic account. At dan its oh i made a mistake, tee hee hee hee
Now after moving all my dns to dan again, i have to move them outa there. Waste my time, this is the least i could do
https://dan.com/domain-seller/ceae1...starting=friend&results=50&order_by=relevance
239,174 i see one domain has been removed from their account
friendsvotes.com
域名卖家

Make offer
friendlyskys.com
域名卖家

Make offer
friendlyskys.com
域名卖家

Make offer
friendlypool.com
域名卖家

Make offer
friendlypool.com
域名卖家

I see the same domains are listed twice somehow 2 different times in a short time.
No wonder dan.com has so many listings, that just lessens the chances of anyone finding your name there
My guess 1.5 million names at dan are unauthorized or duplicately listed

•••
Listed by
域名卖家
This person went from 468,112 domains last night. I have screenshot.
Today they have 473,049 domains
https://dan.com/domain-seller/domai...1-479a9d7f7ca5?&results=50&order_by=relevance

Added 5000 names to that portfolio

That "seller" is a repeat offender. Same one that listed my domains---domains that had never been owned or registered before (I know how to check). See the attached screenshot, from one of the cases I reported back in February, same name*. And it's not just the name*; the link to their portfolio, which I'd shared with Dan Support at the time, is the same as the one you shared here. Went back to check (see screenshot).

Another case: Reg'd a never-been-owned domain. Listed it on AN only. Months later, decided to list it on Dan as well. Tried to and couldn't. Searched for the domain on Dan and 5 listings popped up... all for that 1 domain, all by the same seller in question.

The good thing is Dan has a support team that's often responsive and ready to help. Once you prove ownership of a domain, they take it off the other seller's portfolio... But it'd be even better if @DAN.COM could actually do something about that account.

name* -- Don't mean to offend, but I don't know if that's a name or just generic words. Maybe it means "domain seller" in Chinese? Saying this because a different account that listed one of my SH-listed domains on DAN had that same name.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 12.01.03.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 12.01.03.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 22.06.09.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 22.06.09.png
    145.8 KB · Views: 113
•••
Someone registered Lntent.xyz and claimed to remove my intent.xyz in all marketplaces.
Yesterday they removed it from DAN and today from Afternic.
I was able to relist it in DAN.com after a thorough investigation by DAN support.
So don't they really know they were registered Lntent.xyz, Lndeed.xyz, Lnform.xyz.
Funny part was they have been sending account screenshots too for verification.
What would be their motive to register this kind of name?

Last edited:
•••
No, I firmly decided a year ago to remove myself pemanently from the Dan.com marketplace. That decision came after I also had noted, on spot checking, that approximately 60% of the domains listed were not even registered. And we're not talking registry premium domains. qSadly, on several recent spot checks, sellers still were allowing postings of completely unregistered domains.

Hopefully, a block has been placed on my domains, per my request, preventing future relisting attempts without verification.

It's not fair trade when an internet marketplace is allowing anyone to list somebody's property without their knowledge or consent. And that the only recourse would be to either keep asking for the listings to be removed each time it happens OR to list with them.

To me, a marketpllace that cannot get a handle on unauthorized listings crosses a line in terms of business ethics. And I do firmly believe that a domain seller has the right to choose to not use a marketpace for whatever reason.

Finally, the good news is that the unauthorized listings appear to have disappeared at Afternic. So since they have implemented mandatory verification upfront, at least that marketplace appears to have the problem under control.

DAN has zero interest in curbing these kind of activities. They know of fraudulent sellers with thousands of domains they don't own and don't take action, it can't get clearer than this. And if they had a real interest in preventing it, they would do verification it is very easy to implement for a tech-savy company like DAN.

•••
That's what really surprised me here. I never had this happen before. This was my first time posting a "registration of the day." Perhaps it's safer to have a domain parked and listed prior to mentioning it on NamePros.
Thats the reason many of us don’t share things like that. We are competitors and there are always domainers lurking with low to no ethics. Sad but its a fact.

At least with DAN they have the verification code where you can fix it on your own by adding the code to your domains or DAN staff will help.

Last edited:
•••
not a big deal contact there support should get the domain in your account in less than few hours :)

•••
Frustrating, indeed. How did they manage to get 5 listings of the same domain name on one account? When uploading a domain to DAN, only one listing of that particular name would be permitted. The system seems to automatically block an attempt to list it more than once.
I have no idea how they pulled that off. The system usually doesn't allow more than 1 listing for a single domain. Maybe it was some sort of bug or they found a loophole? I checked that account for a couple of minutes back then. I remember finding several other multiple listings (2, 3, 4, 5, and even 6 listings for a given domain), and many domains they obviously didn't own (some were domains owned by others, some were unregistered and/or nonsensical qwydhfg3e37dys type of domains). Gave Dan a heads up, and they said they'd investigate.

P.S: Checked again before posting this. That account still has many multiple listings per domains, many domains that are clearly owned by others, and many unregistered domains (some currently dropped, some never even been registered). It's actually worse than I initially thought.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 07.03.57.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 07.03.57.png
    1,014 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 07.16.39.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 07.16.39.png
    760.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 07.17.55.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 07.17.55.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 135
•••
5 times in the past week i attempted to list meta domains on dan and got rejected, because they were already listed there. i thought they were still listed by a former owner but a check showed that i was the first to register them. i think they were listed as make offer and if they were approached they would try to purchase from the real owner for a lower price, if it worked it didn't, if it didn't it didn't. i did not report the regs here so i think they just trolled around. one thing dan can pick up from godaddy is verification.

•••
My advice is to list all domains on DAN in case you show your names here on Namepros & probably they watch other forums
They watch everything. Have a domain on dynadot (namesilo, namecheap) marketplace which you did not intend to list on or sell via dan? They will add it to DAN. So, you'd better add it to Dan yourself, with a makeoffer @ cosmic min bid just to lock it.
Have a domain on dan or sedo but not on afternic? they will add it to Afternic.
Etc, etc ;-() All combinations...

•••
One cannot remove the scum of the world alone. Nor if some of us do. These will continue to exist. I'm not sure why everyone here is so pissed about it.

I have a VERY different take on this.

First off, when you have a solid investment in domains you have no time to spend on such things. Or, the time can be used for other things such as building another venture OR finding great domains etc.

The value is in the domains. If there's value in, that's all you need.

Now.

I always price my domains high. Correctly, I'd say. I'm not going overboard but I am confident, based on my knowledge, that it would be the actual top retail price. This leaves VERY little room for these guys.

Now if I price a domain say $5K and the guy manages to sell it for $10K, what is the wrong thing in that?

They correctly saw a higher end price for it and I didn't. Good - they can have some money. Or they pitched to a buyer directly, one that I'd never find cause It's not me who did that. Again good for them.

You also get paid as well. At your retail price. I'm always happy about that, and to buy better names.

I believe all of this is senseless FOMO. Sorry for being frank.

Someone else making some money based off you? Who cares. I care about what I make. And getting rid of those guys in places where I DO NOT LIST might actually rid me of some very needed income.

On the other hand, say I drop price on a domain and sell it at clearance. I sell it for $100 and they manage to make 2K from it. Again, what is wrong in that?

Nothing.

Is it unethical? Yes, or at least incorrect. Does it hurt you? If you respect my 2 conditions below I dare to say that not at all, but the contrary. I can't list everywhere out there nor can I have a BIN everywhere out there. It's gonna turn into a mayhem.

Price correctly, price high retail. Worst case scenario, you will get paid.

Use a sane min offer. Not smaller than 50% of the domain price. 60....70% is ideal by me. (Note, too many domainers around here use a $20 min offer which not only doesn't make sense - at all - but also gets them vulnerable to lowballers and frontrunners).

Also, worry not. You have better things to do rather than checking thousands of domains if they are listed anywhere. And on a more or less continuous basis as they will always pop up again later.

Mindset helps a lot in this venture. FOMO doesn't.

Last edited:
•••
So, basically what we are continuing to see is a domain front-running schemes on these marketplaces.
Let me highlight one of your key questions:

Now if I price a domain say $5K and the guy manages to sell it for $10K, what is the wrong thing in that?
So, if someone thinks your domain is a good buy at that price, and could possibly sell for twice the amount, wouldn't you prefer that they pay you for the domain first and then list it legitimately as their own?

And don't the domain marketplaces have enough listings for the actual, legitimate sellers, without adding a whole extra layer of fake sellers trying to sell domains that they don't own? Wouldn't it be a shame if potential buyers have less opportunity to see the legitimate domains possibly due to the multitude of other listings from these unscrupulous sellers?

•••
So, basically what we are continuing to see is a domain front-running schemes on these marketplaces.
Let me highlight one of your key questions:

So, if someone thinks your domain is a good buy at that price, and could possibly sell for twice the amount, wouldn't you prefer that they pay you for the domain first and then list it legitimately as their own?

And don't the domain marketplaces have enough listings for the actual, legitimate sellers, without adding a whole extra layer of fake sellers trying to sell domains that they don't own? Wouldn't it be a shame if potential buyers have less opportunity to see the legitimate domains possibly due to the multitude of other listings from these unscrupulous sellers?

Sure thing. But that's not something we need to police ourselves. I know better than to waste time on that. As I said there are simpler options.

It should be ensured by the marketplaces.

•••
Yes, that's happening to me on occasion with domains previously owned by businesses, it's definitely happening after I share my purchase on a certain Slack channel.

It's OK, some people have nothing better to do. Just delete their listing..

Last edited:
•••
Definitely was not a name drop or previous registration. This is the first registration of the domain.
This particular Dan account has 468,118 listings as of this moment.
Thanks, Bob, for the information on the fix. Given my success with Afternic, though, this may be the nudge I've needed to start trying their parking instead.
Thank you, both, for the insight. Annoying situation, indeed. What puzzles me even more is, how someone could have almost a half million domains and list them on Dan?

Last edited:
•••
Someone registered Lntent.xyz and claimed to remove my intent.xyz in all marketplaces.
Yesterday they removed it from DAN and today from Afternic.
I was able to relist it in DAN.com after a thorough investigation by DAN support.
So don't they really know they were registered Lntent.xyz, Lndeed.xyz, Lnform.xyz.
Funny part was they have been sending account screenshots too for verification.
What would be their motive to register this kind of name?
Sounds like they are trying to confuse potential buyers to think that these are the real names, since lowercase "L" in each case would like your domains. As for someone removing your domains from the marketplaces, this sounds like bad sportsmanship. Hopefully Dan will effectively deal with this behavior.

Last edited:
•••
Cryptic Answer. Could you explain this? I'm curious as well about why this happened and what we can do to prevent it?
a few well-known public brains … influencers have the power to persuade people to do things like; You don't need to have knowledge or money to invest in domain names … You don't have to be a genius to do it... fortunately, all you need to do is simply list their domains elsewhere & +%

Regards

•••
This can cause multiple issues. But there's an obvious one
Dan reputation gets hurt, which doesn't help every domainer's subsequent attempts to sell their domains on the DAN platform.
After reading quite a few internet reviews of the big 3 aftermarkets, there is ample documentation out there that buyers really get turned off by a service that has illegitimate listings. Reviews get posted on the internet citing their experiences -- including the hassle of trying to get their money refunded. And it's pretty clear that odds are that that Aftermarket is unlikely to ever have them as a customer.
As for the individual with the real domain, don't you think they have better things to do with their time than having to deal with undoing the problem. And, keep in mind, that if someone really had wanted the domain, what are the odds that they are going to come back to put an offer on the real listing after all the mess is sorted out.
Ultimately, it can affect you and potentially all of the domainers on this forum.
What are you talking about? Fraud or fake sellers hurt DAN reputation? Do you know how many thousands of fake sellers are uploading others domains every day and remain on Afternic/GoDaddy? And their reputation is intact 😂

I have spent many hours and more time contacting them when some schmuck has my name in their account.

At least DAN has a code to resolve it unlike GD where you have to email and provide proofs on each and ever one.

I love how people want DAN to adhere to higher standards than ever other venue. You insert codes names and it moves to your account. No need for theatrical posts.

Last edited:
•••
DAN support appears to be responding extremely quickly now to any incident relating to others trying to sell someone else's domain. This happened again this week, and it appears that within a matters of hours, the pepetrator was stopped. Our NamePro DAN support expert, Lazlo Schenk even kindly placed the domain in my account after the other listing was removed!

Thanks for progress! The customer service here really seems to have ramped up its efforts effectively.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back