Dynadot

question Somebody registered a domain with my personal name without consent

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CarlLigers

Impact
The entire purpose of the myname.net domain is to generally harass me. They obviously did this without my consent. I have no idea who specifically did this, I just know it's a loose group of internet trolls.

Is it legal to register a domain using someone's personal name without their consent? Is there anything I can do?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No, nothing you can do unless you trademarked it, and even then it would be tough to fight.

•••
Some things that might be relevant...

1. What country do you live in?

2. If you live in the US, what state?

3. Where is registrar? Where is the site hosted?

4. Does the site make factual statements about you which are untrue, other than statements of opinion?

5. Does the site publish private information about you?

The statement above concerning personal names is incorrect. There is a separate US law for addressing personal name domain issues:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/8131

15 U.S. Code Β§β€―8131. Cyberpiracy protections for individuals

(1) In general

(A) Civil liability

Any person who registers a domain name that consists of the name of another living person, or a name substantially and confusingly similar thereto, without that person’s consent, with the specific intent to profit from such name by selling the domain name for financial gain to that person or any third party, shall be liable in a civil action by such person.

------------

Furthermore, various states have relevant laws, such as California BPC 17525

https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/business-and-professions-code/bpc-sect-17525.html

(a) It is unlawful for a person, with a bad faith intent to register, traffic in, or use a domain name, that is identical or confusingly similar to the personal name of another living person or deceased personality, without regard to the goods or services of the parties.

•••
What about billgates dot com? Asking price $40k. Bill Gates doesn't care, so...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back