IT.COM

Somebody registered domain in my name!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

I own a .com domain. Now I see somebody has registered the same domain in .info and used my data to fill out the whois. What should I think of this and what can be done?

Pascal

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
pascal said:
Hi,

I own a .com domain. Now I see somebody has registered the same domain in .info and used my data to fill out the whois. What should I think of this and what can be done?

Pascal
P.S. The domain is echtsusteren dot com and info, this is the place where I live in Holland.
Most likely it's your registrar, whom registered the .info on your behalf.
I have noticed that enom did that to many of my .com names as well.. they reg'd the .info and placed them in my control panel.
Chances are, your .info is also in your control panel.

•••
•••
Thanks for your replies.

No it is registered at another registrar, one I have never even dealt with. But my guess is they did it themselves, hoping to get more clients this way. I will probably receive an email next year that I have to pay to keep them.

Anybody else has had this happen?

(I wish eNom had gotten me all the .infos matching my 3 letter domains :hehe: )

Last edited:
•••
"(I wish eNom had gotten me all the .infos matching my 3 letter domains )"

LOL.

•••
I would bet the registrar is Sipence.com which seems to be an alias of enom.com. They use the same address and also use enom's reseller API. Enom (through Sipence.com) registered 950,000+ info names that their customers had the other extension of. Within 3 days, Sipence.com become a top 10 registrar with names registered and went from about 4,000 domains to almost a million names as a registar.

•••
sipence is one of three drop companies owned by enom. Brilliant move? Maybe, unethical ? yes

•••
The same thing happened to me, however it appears that there are ? marks in the other domain's whois to indicate a space. Do you think maybe this is a bot?

•••
glad nothing has happend to me so far. You should try contacting the register where the .info was registered.

•••
I tried e-mailing the registar about this issue and it seems they don't want to respond back or either they still haven't got to my e-mail yet. :(

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
I would bet the registrar is Sipence.com which seems to be an alias of enom.com. They use the same address and also use enom's reseller API. Enom (through Sipence.com) registered 950,000+ info names that their customers had the other extension of. Within 3 days, Sipence.com become a top 10 registrar with names registered and went from about 4,000 domains to almost a million names as a registar.

definetly a fast way to get famous!

•••
•••
•••
AdoptableDomains said:

Yes it is Sipence.com.

•••
I wonder when eNom will release them to people and for how much?

•••
mole said:
I wonder when eNom will release them to people and for how much?

It had better be at no charge, or they are in effect the biggest cybersquatters in history. Particularly since they have used our names to register them.

•••
Now I can safely put enom along with RegisterFly as the worst excuses for domain registrars the world has ever seen.

•••
I just received an email from eNom in answer to the email I sent to Sipence.com about this matter. The domain will be in my eNom account within a week or so, and it will be free of charge.

Thanks everybody for your replies.

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
Or Infamous

Future high end class action lawsuits due tend to yield some noteriety. :hehe:

•••
wow!
Enom registered the .info version of most of my .com domains in thier account!!!
Am I lucky...or should I be angry?!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back