IT.COM

Never registered domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

boker

Top Member
Impact
Guys, there is here somebody how made some decent return with a never registered domain or with one that was dropped 3-4 times before? I'm not talking about one registered for the first time in 2003 and sold after 10 years, something you could sell for decent money in 1-2 years. I'm curios, because sometimes I find some domains( 2 words brandables mostly) that were never registered or they were dropped a few times and I'm not sure what to do....I had some low xxx offers for some, but never more.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I try to stay away from (.com) keyword domains that were never registered. They are usually not registered for a reason (low quality, trademark issue,...). But mainly I stay away from them because there are currently 3.3 billion internet users and if none of them thought in the past of registering this particular domain it should tell you something.

Domains that were dropped a few times is another story. It means there was interest at some point and as a result there may be some value there.

Last edited:
•••
I'm with you when it's about keywords...but I'm thinking about 2 words brandables. There are around 1 mil words in english language, from which 175k are in current use and let say around 50k main one. If you count the total 2 word combinations of the 50k, the result is around 2.5 billion combinations...for sure a lot of them dont work together, but even 10% of them and there are still 250 mil 2 word combinations....so there is a big chance that are quality 2 word combinations that will have some value. Lets take 'fiberdrone' per example, was registered in january by a fellow domainer , was on my list and it was never registered. Also I have registered a few days ago 'crypticgroup', which I think that will work for security, data transfer, financial data, weapon development and others like this. I have around 100 two word combinations that I think that will have some value, but I dont want to register all of them, because for sure a lot of them will be worthless...but I have to decide which have the biggest chance to have some value.

•••
Generally I agree with @Bram C., however if you hand register domains with words from emerging markets you could hit pay dirt. It is also worth noting how many members I have seen posting sales from hand registered domains.

Newbies are always warned to stay away from hand regs, but sales do happen. Of course it is better to aim for domains with some sort of history, but that being said, fresh hand regs can sell. Don't believe the myth that they never do.

•••
Some recent sales by NP members that were hand regged:

• b/ri/l/k//c/o/m
  • nj/na/n/nie/s//c/o/m
  • B/est/Me/so/the/lioma/Law/yer //c/o
  • v/irg/inia/go/ld/buy/ers//c/o/m
  • u/ta/h/go/ld/buy/ers//c/o/m
  • h/a/o/788/88//c/o/m

Last edited:
•••
I don't know the prices for which they were sold, but I suppose that they are xxx sales. I'm talking mostly about xxxx sales from hand reg in the last 1-2 years. Something like 'wipzy' and 'ultrra', reg in the last 2 month and sold at BB for 2,5k. I know there are sales like these, but the question is how often and for how much profit.... like a viable business plan.....but probably it's hard to reach to everybody to gather all that info.

•••
I don't know the prices for which they were sold, but I suppose that they are xxx sales. I'm talking mostly about xxxx sales from hand reg in the last 1-2 years. Something like 'wipzy' and 'ultrra', reg in the last 2 month and sold at BB for 2,5k. I know there are sales like these, but the question is how often and for how much profit.... like a viable business plan.....but probably it's hard to reach to everybody to gather all that info.

In the beginning most brandables listed on the brandables markets were hand regs and many still are.
You can hand reg brandable names that will sell, but if you want to hand reg names to sell at the various brandable markets you have to follow some rules and register names they will accept.

There is really no way to know for sure what will sell and what will not, unless you have a crystal ball.

•••
Think the best new registered one I did was a 3 word .com for $7500 somewhere in between year 1-2 of owning it. Most of my sales are reg fee price domains but primarily expired domains and not new hand regs.

•••
Think the best new registered one I did was a 3 word .com for $7500 somewhere in between year 1-2 of owning it. Most of my sales are reg fee price domains but primarily expired domains and not new hand regs.

The fact is it is hard to hand reg a new name that has not been hand regged before.

Nine times out of ten when I check a hand reg idea it has been regged before.

•••
Sounds good....and if you can have sales constantly, then you have a viable business model....even if they are expired domains, but you pay reg fee for them they are still reg fee. It's enough to sell two at 1k for every 1k domains reg at 8$ or so to double you money, so it should be easily done.

•••
The fact is it is hard to hand reg a new name that has not been hand regged before.

Nine times out of ten when I check a hand reg idea it has been regged before.
You are lucky...for me, I have to check 60-70 to find one which was not regged before.

•••
Sounds good....and if you can have sales constantly, then you have a viable business model....even if they are expired domains, but you pay reg fee for them they are still reg fee. It's enough to sell two at 1k for every 1k domains reg at 8$ or so to double you money, so it should be easily done.
edited for every a few hundred domains...not 1k

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back