NameSilo

Some things new domainers should consider

Labeled as advice in Domain Beginners, started by JudgeMind, Dec 21, 2019

Replies:
Views:

1. JudgeMind

JudgeMind BrandAim.com PRO VIP Trusted Contest Holder

Before hand registering any domain names you should ask yourself these questions:

1. Would I name my business or product this

2. Am I confident enough in the quality of this name to pay the renewal fee or to purchase a transfer to another registrar

3. Are there similar domains that have sold

4. If I spend an extra $10-$20 could I get a better name than this one

5. Are there any registered trademarks that registering this domain name would infringe upon.

follow this model when starting out and you will be ahead of the game.

cheers

JM

p.s - feel free to add to this list. Make your own list and follow it strictly. Once you discover the strategy that works best for you fine tune it and you will be successful

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. brianviktor67

brianviktor67 Established Member

3. Knup Solutions

Knup Solutions Gambling & iGaming Domain Professional

Good suggestions. Honestly about the exact steps I use each and every time. Thanks🔥🔥

4. darb

darb Established Member

Kind of ties in with #1, but:

6.) Ensure that you are 100% sure that you understand what you are registering.

Things get lost in translation, cultural differences, esoteric acronyms or letter/number combinations, etc.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  5. awwalmb

awwalmb Riftless.com VIP

Thanks for the awesome tips.

6. Josytal

Josytal Top Contributor VIP

7.) Buying and Selling goes hand-in-hand. Easy to buy, hard to sell. Do I have necessary knowledge and patience to sell profitably?

7. The Durfer

The Durfer Top Contributor VIP Gold Account

Is it a 4L.com, if not then why isn't it?

8. Sinbad

Sinbad Top Contributor VIP

8) Will I renew this domain if I couldn't sell in a year.?

9. YairDD

YairDD I'm cool, I think? VIP

Don't register impulsively

10. Donavan

Donavan Established Member

Is this automated appraisal correct?

Just because an automated valuation tool spits out a value doesn't mean your hand reg is worth that number.

It may be above or below. Much more research is to be done by you

11. gtldomainer

gtldomainer Top Contributor VIP

Very useful indeed. thanks for sharing. Just want to add, ponder at least 5 minutes on why this name hasn't been taken already by all veteran domain investors before you and it will make more sense.

12. JudgeMind

biggest mistake new domainers make is called "handreg" lol

13. xynames

xynames XYNames.com PRO VIP

Too many domainers cringe at the prospect of paying say $200 for one quality domain but throw eagerly 1 - 9 dollars per handreg times 100 crappy domains.

Another phenomenon is a domainer’s willingness to pay .99 cents for a handreg but not $9. Why? Is the domain so crappy it’s not even worth spending the extra eight bucks? If so, why even pick it up.

14. gtldomainer

gtldomainer Top Contributor VIP

Agree somewhat but I think, its more about egg and chicken issue here. As a new domainer, I wanted to register a good domain but I didn't know what a good domain is, in the first place. The ones I could bet were priced at thousands (straight one worders or generic two worders), if not millions. So, I had to gain experience for which I tested my knowledge with hand regs as well as buying cheaper expired/auction names. It got better over time and now I believe, I can bet at least a few grands on a name, without too much risk.

HTH,

15. OhYeah

OhYeah Established Member

I do not agree with 1'st & 3'rd.

As for 1'st: I've taken some names that I wouldn't use for my own business, but different clients have different tastes & many of them got sold. As for example I've sold a handful of "playful" style names that personally I don't like. However, there are many clients who love that.

As for the 3'rd: I've sold a lot of makeup related domain names couple years ago, but now I'm struggling to sell anything makeup related. These things changes. One day crypto is nothing for example, next day it's TOP1 thing in the news, everything has trends, tipping points & so on.

16. JudgeMind

you have been active since at least 2011, so you have had the opportunity to fine tune this and eye proper quality. This is directed towards new domainers, a baseline for them to start from. Thank you for your input.

17. OhYeah

OhYeah Established Member

True that too. Sorry, didn't notice first that this was posted in beginners section.

And yes, I've been into domaining since ~2007 I believe. My first tries were back then, when I was 17 yo.

18. twiki

twiki Top Contributor VIP Gold Account

I have a similar issue, and I believe I figured out why. Generational change.

Millenials invest far less in anything appearance-related, far less than previous generations. They really don't spend too much on clothing, makeup and the sorts. Today a pair of trousers and sneakers are the norm. Furthermore, there is a ton of such products that you can order from Amazon and other places for cheap. Even directly from China (Aliexpress), if you're really cheap and agree to wait.

Therefore many of these vendors have far less cash to invest. Not worth it.

However, travels, adventure, outdoor are going pretty well and that's what I am moving to lately. Again, millennials focus on experience, so it makes sense. Older generations have kids, mortgages, paying for tuition etc = their money is used somewhere else. I wonder if the steep decline of US malls that I've read of (I'm in EU) isn't related to the same thing, it could be.

Edit: My jewelry-related domains are equally suffering. They won't sell, unless I price them dirt cheap. Think I might liquidate the stock and move on.

19. lock

lock DomainUsed.com VIP

1) Can I think of a buyer.

20. Prince. JOSEPH OWOR

Prince. JOSEPH OWOR Established Member

A very important must see Post for we beginners. If rightly followed newbies like myself wouldn't miss out on this sector. Thanks🔥🔥

21. dAvo

dAvo Brand Strategy | E-commerce | Marketer | Aussie Gold Account

Wow.

This has been painful to read.

I’m extremely guilty for hand regs.

I have sold a couple - but it got way out of hand.

I’m now at a point where i have no idea if I should renew or not.

Too many to decide. Too many to not want to drop. Irresponsible - yes!

So I’m throwing out a lifeline here.

Who’s willing to take a look at 1k domains, and give me some honest (painful) feedback??

So i can get on the right track.

(Even as a millennial)

Im ready to take a beating.
    Seriously...

Who knows....

You could be making my family’s Xmas next year a decent one.

Peace out

22. SNJV

SNJV Established Member

So you're 29 now? I'm 18, I'm a newbie suggestions would be appreciated!

23. Reddstagg

Reddstagg The-Billionaire.com VIP Gold Account

As a relative newbie myself, I find your comment to be as useful as a chocolate teapot.

This is just a generalised statement that helps no one. Maybe, sometimes it is better to say nothing at all.

I have had relative success with hand registering domain names, which fits in with my life, my financial situation and my limited knowledge of this industry.

Hand registering a couple of domain names for twenty bucks can be a big deal for some people and this should be taken into account when offering opinion.

Please tell us newbies how some of the names being offered for sale on NP by 'badged' domain investors are better than a hand reg for ten bucks.

We look forward to hearing from you.

24. Reddstagg

Reddstagg The-Billionaire.com VIP Gold Account

Don't take this personally, but sometimes I have to laugh out loud at the advice that is being given to me and fellow newbies, although it is given with good intention.

Honestly, go take a look at some of the sh1t that is being sold for $200 on the NP selling pages by so called experienced or 'badged' domain investors.

Some of it is just sh1t, whilst others make no logical sense, for example: buybikinis.org or sh1tcrypto.com or ai-sh1t.io.

The one piece of good advice that I did take on board was to hand reg .coms, but sometimes the science outweighs the wisdom.

7 out of my top 10 (in terms of guesstimated appraised values) are everything else but .com and yet none of the so called experts can explain why.

The tools used for valuations purposes don't matter nor indeed the actual values when the same tool has been used for thousands of appraisals.

Maybe, you will enlighten us newbies and explain it to us using small words and few syllables 'cos obviously we're all a bit stupid.

HoHoHo.dentist

25. twiki

twiki Top Contributor VIP Gold Account

Oh God, I'm still laughing :xf.grin:

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice