IT.COM

Snapnames issue (For non US citizens only ?)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

zeff

Established Member
Impact
Hi namepros community,

It's been a few months that i am registered with Snapnames. I did get a few domains with them but since last week Snapnames did suspend my account.
I've opened a ticket on Snapnames support asking why my account was suspended.
Snapnames answered that it was an account verification by holds submitted on my credit card. Snapnames requires the exact amount of the holds submitted.
The problem is that I am not a us citizen and holds submissions on credit cards are not used in my country. My bank takes these amounts as payments and the 2 holds submitted appeared as one payment.
The other problem is that the amounts are not in usd so the amounts i see on my bank account are not on the same currency as Snapnames submissions.
As i couldn't give the exact amounts on the first request, Snapnames did submit another 2 holds verification without my authorisation.
It's been 3 days now, i've answered with the amount i see on my bank account with the 2nd submission but i have no answer from Snapnames.

Did that issue happen to non us citizens already ?
And if that happened how did you solve that issue ?

Thanks for your answer

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Snapnames and namejet merged into one company since last year... Both marketplaces are NOT trusted by most domainers due to the shill bidding massive scandal (search the thread here: "Bidding on your names at namejet"

My suggestion to all, is very simple: DONT BID ON THOSE AUCTION MARKETPLACES ANYMORE! and avoid many problems with your money and domains...

•••
Snapnames and namejet merged into one company since last year... Both marketplaces are NOT trusted by most domainers due to the shill bidding massive scandal (search the thread here: "Bidding on your names at namejet"

My suggestion to all, is very simple: DONT BID ON THOSE AUCTION MARKETPLACES ANYMORE! and avoid many problems with your money and domains...

Many thanks OmarVG for your answer. Is dropcatch more trustful ?

•••
•••
Hi namepros community,

It's been a few months that i am registered with Snapnames. I did get a few domains with them but since last week Snapnames did suspend my account.
I've opened a ticket on Snapnames support asking why my account was suspended.
Snapnames answered that it was an account verification by holds submitted on my credit card. Snapnames requires the exact amount of the holds submitted.
The problem is that I am not a us citizen and holds submissions on credit cards are not used in my country. My bank takes these amounts as payments and the 2 holds submitted appeared as one payment.
The other problem is that the amounts are not in usd so the amounts i see on my bank account are not on the same currency as Snapnames submissions.
As i couldn't give the exact amounts on the first request, Snapnames did submit another 2 holds verification without my authorisation.
It's been 3 days now, i've answered with the amount i see on my bank account with the 2nd submission but i have no answer from Snapnames.

Did that issue happen to non us citizens already ?
And if that happened how did you solve that issue ?

Thanks for your answer
Snapnames is fine. Not an issue (and unlike false information being spread, they have NOT merged with Namejet but have partnered with them in some aspects)

Typically, your card statement will include the USD amount (and not just the local currency amount) but then this might not be a standard way to display information. Alternatively, most banks/cc providers stated the conversion rate used. Using this, you can reverse calculate the USD charge amount. But this might not be exactly accurate to the 2nd decimal so might not be fully useful. As a last resort, you can perhaps send a screenshot of your card statement that includes the snapnames charge to inform them that the charge did show up but wasn't in the currency they expect in so you're unable to verify the exact amount.

Also, I assume that by holds verification, you mean they issued a small charge on your card and are asking you to provide the exact charge amount to confirm that you own and have access to the card? This is a security mechanism and is pretty standard.

•••
It happened with Dropcatch. I will not use any of these services until someone clarify what's going on.

•••
I had the same issue. I changed my credit card provider and the new credit card company did not show the verification hold amounts. As a result I was not able to re-verify my account.

I also know of a domainer who could not verify his account due to the CC showing the amount in his own currency (when he used a currency conversion tool the amounts were inaccurate, so they refused to verify his account). The first time I verified my account, I also struggled a lot with the USD hold amounts being shown in my local currency, and I spent a lot of time to obtain the actual USD amounts from the bank.

Unless your account can display verification hold amounts in USD you simply cannot use SnapNames. They offer no alternative methods of account verification.

Last edited:
•••
Snapnames and namejet are much better than dropcatch imo. Unless you like paying end user prices with dropcatch. I have heard about the scandals in the past but I haven't experienced them myself so can't complain... The snapnames bidding scandal was years ago (2009)... Also, Dropcatch has experienced fraudulent bidding as well and they have had to reauction many domains in the past because of nonpayment from the winning bidders of such auctions. Although they seem to have improved by tightening account verification procedures. The point is, it can happen with any platform.

Since I am US based, I wouldn't know about such verification issue caused by different currencies. But have you considered wire transfer and paypal as alternatives?

Last edited:
•••
Snapnames did a third call on my credit card ! >:(
And does not want to understand my point.
I understand that this secury mechanism is pretty standard in some countries but it is not in others.
As my account is suspended, i have no possibility to modify it for my paypal details.
It is just my own experience but it is not the first time i have issues with web company services: I have experienced network solutions... Never ever seen such a bad customer service before !

•••
•••
Yes it is a good idea to use a prepaid credit card. I may check if it's possible.
But after all, i don't see why i keep my account opened with Snapnames. They don't want to understand my point and they did submit two other times these holds. As the hold system does not work in my country, they are appearing paid on my bank account which means that snapnames got money without invoice and without payment authorisation.
I have no other choice than closing the account.

•••
And does not want to understand my point.
They don't care about your point. I was spending five figures each month on their platform month in and month out, and was planning to increase that spending, which I told them. Then when I had verification issues with my new CC, they didn't care at all about losing me as a customer. They basically told me they only care about customers who spend minimum $200K or $250K per month (I forgot the exact number, but I believe it was one of those two amounts. I'm too lazy to go check the support ticket now, but I'm 100% sure that the amount is well into six figures). Users who spend less than that are "retail users" while users who spend minimum $200K or $250K each month are considered as partners or corporate users or something. Not sure what they call them, but there are two distinct levels, and these users have different accounts with different features and privileges. They don't really care about retail users and keep limiting the features of such account.
As my account is suspended, i have no possibility to modify it for my paypal details.
They don't allow regular customers to pay by PayPal anymore. They don't say that on their website, but they made that very clear to me in our direct correspondence. You MUST have a verified credit card on file, and your card MUST be charged immediately upon winning an auction. That is the only way you can use SnapNames.

Retail users are not allowed to delay credit card payment so that you can pay by PayPal (like what they offer at NameJet). It used to be possible, but they are making the features of retail accounts more and more limited. Only customers who spend $200-250K per month may delay payments and pay by PayPal.

Also, only customers who spend $200-250K can pre-fund their account. Regular users are no longer allowed to prefund their accounts. Instant payment via verified credit card is the only way regular users can pay for names at SnapNames now.

•••
They don't care about your point. I was spending five figures each month on their platform month in and month out, and was planning to increase that spending, which I told them. Then when I had verification issues with my new CC, they didn't care at all about losing me as a customer. They basically told me they only care about customers who spend minimum $200K or $250K per month (I forgot the exact number, but I believe it was one of those two amounts. I'm too lazy to go check the support ticket now, but I'm 100% sure that the amount is well into six figures). Users who spend less than that are "retail users" while users who spend minimum $200K or $250K each month are considered as partners or corporate users or something. Not sure what they call them, but there are two distinct levels, and these users have different accounts with different features and privileges. They don't really care about retail users and keep limiting the features of such account.

They don't allow regular customers to pay by PayPal anymore. They don't say that on their website, but they made that very clear to me in our direct correspondence. You MUST have a verified credit card on file, and your card MUST be charged immediately upon winning an auction. That is the only way you can use SnapNames.

Retail users are not allowed to delay credit card payment so that you can pay by PayPal (like what they offer at NameJet). It used to be possible, but they are making the features of retail accounts more and more limited. Only customers who spend $200-250K per month may delay payments and pay by PayPal.

Also, only customers who spend $200-250K can pre-fund their account. Regular users are no longer allowed to prefund their accounts. Instant payment via verified credit card is the only way regular users can pay for names at SnapNames now.

That is very strange especially with dropcatch dominating. Why would they want to lose more customers? I doubt they have that many six figure per month clients and spending five figures a month on snapnames like you have mentioned is a respectable amount imo.

•••
That is very strange especially with dropcatch dominating. Why would they want to lose more customers? I doubt they have that many six figure per month clients and spending five figures a month on snapnames like you have mentioned is a respectable amount imo.
Yes, I also found it to be very strange. DropCatch is eating their lunch, they should be striving to maintain and expand their bidder pool, not shrink it. But their lacking verification system, restrictive approach towards established sellers and indifference towards customer retention makes it seem like they just don't care. It makes no sense from a business perspective.

•••
Yes, I also found it to be very strange. DropCatch is eating their lunch, they should be striving to maintain and expand their bidder pool, not shrink it. But their lacking verification system, restrictive approach towards established sellers and indifference towards customer retention makes it seem like they just don't care. It makes no sense from a business perspective.

I think their main problem is that their management and style is very archaic. They seem to have too many politics making them be where they are today. Too many old corporate minds in there. Compare that to dropcatch which is run by fresh, efficient, and modern entrepreneurs and you can easily see what has happened. I don't like dropcatch simply because of their open/public auction model and their huge domains conflict of interest. If it weren't for those two things, I wouldn't have complaints with them.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back