IT.COM

SNAPNAMES - STILL NO ACCESS TO CAUGHT NAME

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I don't know if anyone else is experiencing sub-par service through the SNAPNAMES system, but around 20-22 days ago SNAPNAMES caught a domain and charged me. I still don't have access to the domain they caught.

It was apparently registered through DIRECTI, one of many sub-par registrars they seems to use among some decent ones.

I never got my log-in information, so I contacted SNAPNAMES to reach out to where my names is as their link to DIRECTI was directing me to BigRock.com and when I contacted their support, the rep tells me they don't have that name in their registrar database.

The whois info shows the following: Registrar URL: http://www.publicdomainregistry.com

1- The first time I contacted Snapnames by email: Snapnames response was that they will contact the registrar the name is at and ask them to send the log-in info. Never received anything. Didn't get a follow up from Snapnames to make sure I got the info.

2- About a week later, I called to get a straight answer, they said they apparently there's an issue with my postal code at the registrar level and it was glitching. I own over 1000+ names not go into specifics, but apparently the postal code is the issue, but Snapnames will follow up with Directi to get this resolved.

3- Now week 3, still no answer, still no follow-up. I called again to see what is going on.. it's ridiculous to make someone wait 3 weeks to get his own name when you already charged him right away and confirmed that you secured the name. I get this rep today who tells me almost verbatim "I will send them an update request". I told him you've been telling me that for 3 weeks now, what tells me this will not still be going on 2 months from now.. I need some concrete steps and answers. He tells me I can't do anything about it, I will contact them and send you an email when we get a response.

That is acceptable the first 1, MAYBE 2 weeks. Not after 3 weeks of waiting for access to my domain because of apparently a ridiculous issue of a postal code which is correct to start with. You would expect to hear, I'll call them right away.

I told him Snapnames can take possession of the name in a holding account at that registrar, then I can deal directly with Snapnames to resolve the issue since it seems DIRECTI is incompetent in fixing this relatively minor issue.. the Snapnames rep tells me they don't have such procedures..

He kept repeating a 2-3 line generic text which basically sounded like "don't contact us, we'll contact you".

For a MULTI-MILLION dollar company, this is absolutely ridiculous. Frustrating because they choose to deal with random registrars who are not top notch and the client is left running after their domain. Not the first time, there's similar issues, but the last time it got resolved within a couple of days.
Yes there's worst things going on in this world, but that's not an excuse for incompetency.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, the sign of our times. With companies being run more and more with algorithms and set procedures and staff decreased, getting caught in a bug, a blip or a wrong postal code format can bring about months of agony as the monster is too slow to react.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I don't know what to do. Keep us posted how this unfolds.

•••
•••
This happens every now and then with SnapNames. I've waited more than half a year before they managed to move won names to me (think the longest I waited was 9 months for a name).

There are 2 snapnames. One with quick support (dedicated account manager) and added features for people who spend minimum $50,000 every single month (contractual bulk buyers), though several hundred thousand per month is common among this group, and another snapnames for those who spend less than $50,000/month (retail buyers). If you are a retail buyer you don't have many of the features available to bulk buyers, such as delaying payments for extended periods, pre-funding your account, or opting to pay via PayPal, and support takes a while to solve your issues (they usually copy paste generic answers and close your support ticket, hoping you will stop bothering them, before actually looking into your issue). They will probably move the name to you eventually, but it may take a few months. This is normal at SN and I wouldn't worry about not getting the name.

More efficient and responsive support for retail buyers would be nice of course, but this is how things are at SN and considering how gutted their pre-release has become and how they are increasingly losing out to dropcatch on the drop, I doubt there is any motivation for them to improve these things for what I imagine is a shrinking pool of retail buyers.

Last edited:
•••
Does anyone really spend 50,000 per month on domains? How many do they buy?

•••
Does anyone really spend 50,000 per month on domains? How many do they buy?
These buyers have to spend minimum $50,000/month, but usually spend in the $50-250K range. I don't know how many domains they buy, but I assume their spending is largely in terms of quantity, rather than quality (i.e. similar to HugeDomains, buying a ton of low quality domains). On other platforms, like NameJet, there are bidders like "taryn" (Frank Schilling) who mainly targets quality over quantity in auctions, but SnapNames no longer has the pre-release inventory or dropcatching power to support such an acquisition strategy, so I assume their buyers are mainly focused on quantity.

•••
I contacted the Endurance email and mentioned that I still don't have access to my domain after a month, they told me to basically contact bigrock and snapnames...

BigRock customer support so far has been useless as usual

Snapnames seems does the same step over and over again trying to get different results..

Anyone know what steps can be taken at this point to escalate the matter.. I have to send a lawyer letter to Snapnames and Bigrock?.... don't want to start that path as of yet..

•••
Maybe open a chat with bigrock support, in your online account. Chase them each week.. eventually they'll fix it. Or try this chap :

Mr Hari Ravichandran CEO
Email [email protected]

•••
I just sent an email to [email protected], let's see the outcome if any response at all.

If this is not resolved, it's the last time I'm using Snapnames for anything. Their "non big business" customer service is horrible and a lot of attitude; the lady I dealt with once was genuinely a nice person, but they seem to be only 2 and the guy involved who answers most of the time needs to get off his high-horse, condescending attitude and extreme rudeness. Thinks he's giving life lessons.

I don't know if there's anybody from Snapnames who's reading this, but when a customer calls once a week for an update for an ongoing problem to make sure things are not forgotten (as it's fairly evident that unless we spend thousands a day we are not considered important), you're customer service rep should get off his high-horse and talk with respect.. It's been 1 full month and the issue is still going on and he's the one giving attitude?

It's simple, Customer pays Snapnames, not BigRock. If Snapnames deals with incompetent people, they should be prepared to be rightfully contacted until it's resolved.

Last edited:
•••
but they seem to be only 2 and the guy involved who answers most of the time needs to get off his high-horse, condescending attitude and extreme rudeness. Thinks he's giving life lessons.

eek!

Maybe write to David L. Brown, CEO of Web.com ? They own Snapnames [email protected]

I'm, a bit unclear on the ownership, but you might find Alexander Siffrin, CEO of Key-Systems is also the owner of web.com ?
https://www.facebook.com/alexander.siffrin

•••
POSITIVE UPDATE:

Today I officially got access to the domain in question after several timely emails to several email addresses.

Not sure if the last email was the one that made a major difference, or their issue happened to get resolved during that time frame, but a few days after the last email, things got resolved.

Overall resolve took about 1 full month. Not the end the world, but when you don't even know if you're ever going to have access to the domain, it's frustrating nevertheless. Glad it got fixed finally.

[email protected] was the last email address in question.
(besides that one, snapnames, directi and other email contacts were attempted)

•••
Yes, they are incompetent. Fingers crossed they're not in business for much longer with that kind of customer services, everyone should move away quick-sharp!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back