IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just wondering what the general thoughts are about whether the recent trend to legalize marijuana will boost the prices of pot-related domains?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Keith you don't get it, and that's ok too

Cheers
Corey

•••
•••
The problem is that new investors do spend big bucks. They register tons of domains that actually require huge annual fees to maintain. They should research and buy 1 or 2 aftermarket domains that require almost nothing to renew each year.

It's easy to say that a newbie should invest in 1 or 2 good domains. The problem is that due to the lack of experience, they do not know what a good domain is. They may spend $1000 for a "good domain" mentioned on Twitter of "The-Best-Cannibus-Travel-Company.net" not knowing the basics of what sells best (.com, short, no hyphens, etc.) It's the learning experience that is the most valuable part of this industry and life. I will warn newbies to read the forums and be careful not to spend a fortune, but hand regging bad names are a great part of the learning experience... as long as they learn what sells and what doesn't.

Edit: The-Best-Cannibus-Travel-Company.net is not a good domain, IMO. Do not reg it.

Last edited:
•••
I prefer tough love vs patting someone on the back and saying good job, when deep down it’s obvious that they are making mistakes.
Well there is militiary drill sargent (not sure how to spell it) .."you idiot, worthless piece of sh!t"
and there is .."briguy not bad but this what I have have done"

Yes, we each have our own styles of dealing with other people.

Exactly @CJ6 that why I got involved with 420/keyword domains, just seen the term mentioned a few times on social media..not a premium keyword..

Last edited:
•••
It's easy to say that a newbie should invest in 1 or 2 good domains. The problem is that due to the lack of experience, they do not know what a good domain is. They may spend $1000 for a "good domain" mentioned on Twitter of "The-Best-Cannibus-Travel-Company.net" not knowing the basics of what sells best (.com, short, no hyphens, etc.) It's the learning experience that is the most valuable part of this industry and life. I will warn newbies to read the forums and be careful not to spend a fortune, but hand regging bad names are a great part of the learning experience... as long as they learn what sells and what doesn't.
Why is the process of registering domains part of the learning experience? Just don’t do it! Go to GoDaddy expired and see what people are dropping and compare those against public sales.

•••
Why is the process of registering domains part of the learning experience? Just don’t do it! Go to GoDaddy expired and see what people are dropping and compare those against public sales.
Some people learn best by doing.

•••
there has not been a "before" list to go buy for the Cannabis Industry. is there ? How could there be?
If a sector is so new and constantly developing and it takes new advertising to advance the business i personally see a higher potential to hand create a Brand-able then just sitting around , waiting for the market to make moves and then trying to play potential catchup by paying for a higher premium that could sell to the up or downside.
again. my own take on this particular industry. . some people will understand how to hand create usable domains for a Newly growing advanced market. Hello. Advertisers do this daily.
Others will sit and watch. There are so many variables I just really find it impossible for someone on here , successful or not. to Say that they know and understand the branding behind a industry that has not really even been out of the crib yet. 1990 called and the internet wants all its names back. It's possible.

•••
Some people learn best by doing.
Doing doesn’t require spending.

Heavy research should be involved before making any investment - whether you’re buying 50 $8 domains, stock, real estate, whatever. Could you imagine buying a fast food franchise with no understanding and then saying, well I went bankrupt because I learn best by doing? Lol

•••
there has not been a "before" list to go buy for the Cannabis Industry. is there ? How could there be?
If a sector is so new and constantly developing and it takes new advertising to advance the business i personally see a higher potential to hand create a Brand-able then just sitting around , waiting for the market to make moves and then trying to play potential catchup by paying for a higher premium that could sell to the up or downside.
again. my own take on this particular industry. . some people will understand how to hand create usable domains for a Newly growing advanced market. Hello. Advertisers do this daily.
Others will sit and watch. There are so many variables I just really find it impossible for someone on here , successful or not. to Say that they know and understand the branding behind a industry that has not really even been out of the crib yet. 1990 called and the internet wants all its names back. It's possible.
There is years and years of domain sales in the pot space. You can also see public sales at places like Namebio and you can certainly see drops at places like GoDaddy. There are many years of data for this niche alone.

•••

Heavy research should be involved before making any investment - whether you’re buying 50 $8 domains, stock, real estate, whatever. Could you imagine buying a fast food franchise with no understanding and then saying, well I went bankrupt because I learn best by doing? Lol

People learn best if it hurts. If it hurts their pocket books, then they will (hopefully) learn.

I will say it, many of the domains recently getting regged and "showcased" here are crap. Newbies, think about the target buyer before registering. What could they do with the domain.

•••

dude arguing is senseless. this is a market being born in front of your face daily ! Thats the facts. Theres gong to be hand reg domain names going for a good deal of money. Another fact. Its all good. Again understand and education is key. You have Creators and you have Dreamers. There are no written laws for this exact field in Cannabis Domain Names. I love the people that tell me its not possible.

•••
Lol. I just hand regged a domain. My gamble for the day. Yeah, I'm still learning... whatever.

•••
Cannabyz.com
CannaPlayer.com

•••
Cannabyz.com
CannaPlayer.com
not an good example of a sellable name imo. and im new but i also dont think your suppose to spam your dotComs on here like that ? I could be completely wrong ?

Last edited:
•••
dude arguing is senseless. this is a market being born in front of your face daily ! Thats the facts. Theres gong to be hand reg domain names going for a good deal of money. Another fact. Its all good. Again understand and education is key. You have Creators and you have Dreamers. There are no written laws for this exact field in Cannabis Domain Names. I love the people that tell me its not possible.
Wrong. The market was born long ago. You’re equating the legalization of marijuana or a hemp act to a new era - it’s old! Look at lots of the best pot domains and you’ll see registration dates in the 90s or early 2000s.

I’m not saying it’s not possible to register a domain and profit, anything is possible. Why play games though when the probability of profiting is extremely low?

•••
Triple post. Nice! Lol.

I agree with Keith. There is not a huge boom hitting over the last month or two, as much as I wish there would be. The market was born years ago and not too much has changed (for now). I believe it will get reborn when/if the US opens up recreational use. For now, though, I am in a holding pattern, for the most part.

•••
Triple post. Nice! Lol.

I agree with Keith. There is not a huge boom hitting over the last month or two, as much as I wish there would be. The market was born years ago and not too much has changed (for now). I believe it will get reborn when/if the US opens up recreational use. For now, though, I am in a holding pattern, for the most part.
My phone glitched lol. Sorry

•••
I see both sides of the fence here ....

I play the stock market, and admittedly I am more successful at at that than domaining.

In the stock market you’ve got your blue chips which pay dividends and typically a steady rate of return as they move (often but not always) on a constant slow climb northward. These are often perceived as safe investments and good places to let your money grow with low risk

Then, you have your penny stocks. These are much more volatile. Most people who play the pennies are looking for that “big hit”, and as such, spread their money around into numerous penny stocks so that even if just one hits it will take care of any losses on the other ones.

Both types of investments.... “blue chip” or “penny” have risk and reward.... The difference is with blue-chips you may be buying 10 shares for $1000 and have a “safe” “comfy” feeling and probably a slow and steady growth rate ....whereas the penny stocks you may be buying 100 000 shares for a $1000.... with more of an adrenaline type feel and big dreams but no guarantee of it even remaining listed on the exchange.

I totally understand what Keith is saying and think it rings true... but I don’t think you should limit yourself to just “big” names ....I don’t think there’s any problem with diversifying and gambling on a few of the pennies (hand reg’s) as well! I myself am a total gambler. And as such, I’ve had quite a few losses, but so far my gains have been greater.

Just my 2¢ 🤔

Last edited:
•••
I see both sides of the fence here ....

I play the stock market, and admittedly I am more successful at at that than domaining.

In the stock market you’ve got your blue chips which pay dividends and with a steady rate of return as they move (often but not always) in a constant slow climb northward. These are often perceived as safe investments and good places to let your money grow with low risk

Then, you have your penny stocks. These are much more volatile. Most people who play the pennies are looking for that “big hit”, and as such, spread their money around into numerous penny stocks so that even if just one hits it will take care of any losses on the other ones.

Both types of investments.... “blue chip” or “penny” have risk and reward.... The difference is with blue-chips you may be buying 10 shares for $1000 and have a “safe” “comfy” feeling and probably a slow and steady rate growth....whereas the penny stocks you may be buying 100 000 shares for a $1000.... with more of an adrenaline type feel and big dreams but no guarantee of it even remaining listed on the exchange.

I totally understand what Keith is saying and think it rings true... but I don’t think you should let me yourself to “big” names ....I don’t think there’s any problem with diversifying and gambling on a few of the pennies as well! I myself am a total gambler. And as such, I’ve had quite a few losses, but so far my gains have been greater.

Just my 2¢ 🤔
It’s not really an issue of swinging for the fences. If you can register 10 domains or 1000 domains with your budget, don’t. Take that money and after lots of research, buy 1 or 2 aftermarket domains. Now you only have $16 per year in renewals and can afford to reject low offers and wait for the right buyer!

•••
its all good. undervaluation is good. creativity is good. learning is good. listening is good.
i value others opinions

im a creator by trade. like i keep mentioning Advertising industry. Re-runs dont make the cut. You CREATE the market. The Cannabis Industry is new dude. Your high if you think the industry is the same from the dates you quoted. And you mentioned the "good" pot.coms being sold in the 90's. As if your saying all the good ones are gone. come on dude. show me the factual numbers on the majorities of the Cannabis Industry domain names being secured then. This is so new and to relate it to the 90's is just absurd and just wrong.

Last edited:
•••
•••
IMO..The reason why many are hand regging names now in this sector (that they'll end up dropping due to lack of anyone elses' interest..now or ever!), is quite simply because..they are seeing all this hype in the cannabis/hemp/cbd domain sector and have suddenly developed severe cases of - FOMO!! Fear Of Missing Out! What most of them don't seem to realize is that...they already have! But, not all is lost as the registers...are happy they did!

•••
IMO..The reason why many are hand regging names now in this sector (that they'll end up dropping due to lack of anyone elses' interest..now or ever!), is quite simply because..they are seeing all this hype in the cannabis/hemp/cbd domain sector and have suddenly developed severe cases of - FOMO!! Fear Of Missing Out! What most of them don't seem to realize is that...they already have! But, not all is lost as the registers...are happy they did!
Absolutely right.

•••
I know that I was late to the game. Unfortunately I have made enough sales to realize "I like it" and my domains are getting better in quality.

•••
well just took a gander on your site. seem like u got yourself a nice little collection of ??? Not sure who created your "Ganja" line up of amazing names but seems like you were chasing the boat as well. You have to LOVE forums. Especially the ones dealing with MONEY ! Your spelling Canna with a K and using alt extensions of horrible wordings. Hey. Everyones and expert and nothing. Much love

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back