Dynadot
NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Just wondering what the general thoughts are about whether the recent trend to legalize marijuana will boost the prices of pot-related domains?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
marijuana/vapouriser/com

Just caught from drops. 12K searches.

•••
The best domains aren't selling because they are geared towards the actual plant, like @andriegel mentioned, there are other sectors of the market that do see activity. But I will agree, if you expect to turn $8 into a fortune, you better create value yourself because nobody is paying... yet.
As far as domain sales are concerned, like most other sales transactions, it takes effort to find the customer and subsequently close the deal. If the only sales "strategy" the Domainer has is to wait until someone finds the name on Afternic or Sedo, they might be waiting a while. If the domainer has a poorly constructed web site on page 14, that's not going to garner any sales either. I have had a small success with endusers with direct email and also post cards. Post cards? YES. I send a post card. (I have boxes of old, cool postcards I bought on Ebay a few years back)
These days, paper junk-mail has fallen way off. When a post-card comes in with say, an image of a Colorado ski resort, people will actually read it. I'll be brief and to the point and say something like,
"Hi,
All the best to your success this year! I am selling domainname.com- it might be a great tool to fortify your brand and market positiion. All of my available names are located at http://marijuananames.org. Give me a call!
best regards,"
I am also sure to hand my card out at head shops, dispensaries and even on the community boards in coffee shops here on the front range. There are more pot shops in CO than starbucks, mcdonald's and starbucks combined.
Any sales Pro will tell you that you rarely get a sale from the first interaction, but when they "see" you multiple times, Customers become comfortable with the idea of spending $2500 for an intangible. The sale takes some education, because most endusers will say "I already have a domain name" and I have to educate them on why they might want to buy another.
All the best and good luck!

•••
An example of ancillary market sales- these guys are rock stars!

Louis Coniglio and Feliks Khaykin, are filling a 23,000 square foot warehouse with bongs, pipes, vaporizers and dab rigs. As entrepreneurs whose business is barred from mainstream advertising (no TV or radio ads, no FaceBook or Google ad words) they have become experts in grass roots and guerilla social media marketing to sell their wares. The pair has turned $4,000 of their own money into the online headshop DankStop.com, on track to bring in over $7 million of annual sales after just two years.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/juliewe...dia-to-grow-an-online-bong-mall/#10f60de0290e

•••
•••
•••
Is that your sale? I was just looking at Cannagetsome.com's site.

Nope, just reporting relevant sales from Namebio

•••
•••
•••
Marijuana Voter update

Maine gets enough signatures to make Rec weed vote on the ballot in November. http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/apnewsbreak-maine-pot-referendum-clears-hurdle-ballot-38713711

California proposition for legal weed in a November vote is close to enough signatures and a "sure deal" for the ballot:
http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article72751862.html

Nevada signatures are already certified and legal weed is on the ballot for November.
https://www.mpp.org/states/nevada/

Vermont: It's likely that recreational will occur via the General Assembly: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/02/27/3754529/vermont-legalize-marijuana/

•••
Had a decent sale- NutraCBD $1500
Buyer emailed and asked to buy it. Looked like a scam but two emails later we settled at a price and escrow closed the other day.
I picked it up a while back at GD expiring auctions for $9.
Also had 2 low ball offers on 2 cannabis names recently but in general this niche has slowed up significantly for me. I think it will gain crazy momentum though in a couple few years, maybe 5. Just gotta hold the best and drop the rest, imo.

•••
Had a decent sale- NutraCBD $1500
Just gotta hold the best and drop the rest, imo.
Congrats, nice sale... nice margin!
Nutria and CBD... mmmm like chocolate and peanut butter!

•••
Went to lunch with a friend yesterday and they suggested that this one (in .com) would be a good one...never would have thought about it:

HuffinPuffin

•••
Just got a few media kits while inquiring for advertising opportunities in established sites, it's time to start developing and creating media. Domain sales are still a few years away from being at a high enough demand to sustain a niche centric portfolio.

www.HempAmerican.com/network-mediakit.pdf
www.Hempamerican.com/mediakit1.pdf

Anyone working on dev? There are only so many review sites the market can sustain, but I'm having a hard time defining new media concepts for this niche, especially with no safe access (I'm in Florida.)

•••
•••
Just got a few media kits while inquiring for advertising opportunities in established sites, it's time to start developing and creating media. Domain sales are still a few years away from being at a high enough demand to sustain a niche centric portfolio.

www.HempAmerican.com/network-mediakit.pdf
www.Hempamerican.com/mediakit1.pdf

Anyone working on dev? There are only so many review sites the market can sustain, but I'm having a hard time defining new media concepts for this niche, especially with no safe access (I'm in Florida.)
Wowsers... those ad rates are expensive, IMHO! (I don't see any traffic stats in their docs)
For me, development has been where there are affiliates are. So far, I like the grow-room affiliates because the commission percentages are decent, but the average sale price is in the many hundreds or even over $1K. The "how to grow weed" segment is also interesting but saturated.

•••
Wowsers... those ad rates are expensive, IMHO! (I don't see any traffic stats in their docs)
For me, development has been where there are affiliates are. So far, I like the grow-room affiliates because the commission percentages are decent, but the average sale price is in the many hundreds or even over $1K. The "how to grow weed" segment is also interesting but saturated.

Yeah they are astronomical, especially with no real numbers behind them. At the same time though it yields the perfect opportunity for competition.

I finally caught WannaGrow/com to my WantToGrow/com that I bought a few months back. Where are your efforts focused right now, just dev for the growth niche?

•••
Yeah they are astronomical, especially with no real numbers behind them. At the same time though it yields the perfect opportunity for competition.

I finally caught WannaGrow/com to my WantToGrow/com that I bought a few months back. Where are your efforts focused right now, just dev for the growth niche?
For affiliates I am focusing on urine test trickery and grow rooms. Soon to start vape/headshop.
I also do traditional pharmacy including boner pills and eyelash thickener.
I also have 420origin and marijuanarecall .... no revenue yet.

•••
•••
•••
where does the keyword Marihuana fair with or vs marijuana in searches and popularity? is it worth anything?

•••
where does the keyword Marihuana fair with or vs marijuana in searches and popularity? is it worth anything?

Marijuana is definitely the preferred keyword, I have MarihuanaDispensaries in king and it's almost not worth renewing honestly.

•••
•••
Marijuana is definitely the preferred keyword, I have MarihuanaDispensaries in king and it's almost not worth renewing honestly.

With respect thanks but could it be that your domain is long and dispensaries is plural.? Lol
Would you say drop marijuanavr.com lol

•••
With respect thanks but could it be that your domain is long and dispensaries is plural.? Lol
Would you say drop marijuanavr.com lol

Yeah it's extremely long and nobody would bother typing it in, but the singular is owner by the Dispensaries.com group, so I may renew it lol

I wouldn't drop anything with KEYWORDvr right now, I've seen some ridiculous keywords sell, or rather allegedly sell here on the forums.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back