Dynadot

discuss Should I quit my job and become a full-time Domainer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Azwan Asban

Top Member
Impact
Now I am working with a company lawyer as a clerk. I work for 8 hours a day like everyone else do.Worked as a clerk was tiring, boring, and I also do not like the bark by my boss. Should I quit my job and become a full time domainer? Being a successful domainer is my dream since a few years ago.If I stop working, what is the impact on my life later? Please share your thoughts and experience. I hope this thread will be able to provide useful lessons to beginner.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Once you can earn more with domaining than your full time job, you can quit to focus only for domains (IMO).

If you don't have enough experience you wont have more sale just because you are doing it all day long.

If you learned enough, if you have the 'recipe' for successful domaining, then you can decide.

I wont give up the day job just because I would like to be a successful domainer some day.

•••
thanks @Rob84 for your advise. please someone share your story about how you quit your job and become a full time domainer?

•••
I would say do not do it, unless you do not really enjoy your job. What you get with your job you can invest in buying domains and something for you

•••
Until you are making a consistent income stream from domain sales or parking, or developed website, the question need not even be asked.

Very very few people are making a living on domain names.

Find another day job and continue to sharpen your domain skills.

•••
Hmm... I have a same situation with you.
My plan is if my earning from internet marketing at least same with my salary from my full time job and stable for at least 3 months. I will quit from my current job and be a full internet marketer/domainer.:$:
Let's pray and hope... lol :laugh:

•••
Hey Friend,

One year back I was on my full time job- I quit the job once I establish my Freelancing work + domaining portfolio. I gave roughly 3-4 hours to my freelancing work and rest 3-4 hours to domaining.

After 3-4 months my income is just 3 times that of my regular income!!

As for now, I learn quite few things more about both fields, its 4-5 times of my income of that time.

Hope it clear your vision towards your domaining and hence lifestyle!!

•••
Dear @Azwanasban
I would suggest NO, Dont Quit Job.
Atleast for Right Now, at Least for an Year or So Please do not think about Quitting.

In most of the Job we guys face similar situations as you are facing, doing a clerk job does not sounds bad at all, but the issue is Facing the Barking Boss, that is what we, or most of us have to face in our work time environment. I know Chartered Accountants, Engineers and other professionals who have similarly terrible bosses with terrible working hours.

But, Quitting the job is not the Solution, Unless,
  • You have a concrete plan about domaining
  • You should have at least two more skills that you can utilise ONLINE in the earlier stages of after-quitting job to stay financially stable, like bloggin skills or other freelancing skills with clients as well, if you have that is great for now.
  • One day every person has to support a family, think about the maximum income you would like to have, Domaining is addicting, it is like a Creative Gambling as well, you can sell Great or you can simply dont sell for months. You should have plans for that.
  • Plan about Feeding your Domains, the Renewal Fee & all that
  • Create a budget, run your Plan Demos with Small Investments
  • Remember for Now SHITTY bosses is not that Bad, Having no job & no stable income could be WORST, this is just for time being at least when you get 1000% sure about your plans and their test phases complete successfully.
Try investing for an year or so, carve a niche for yourself, feed your domains, get parking revenue, get some blogs well established with revenue, find out what you can Really Sell Online other than Domains,........

Well I have written quite much my friend.......You are not thinking wrong, everyone has the right to think this way and one day if one coul really make their dream come true, that is really an awesome thing.

•••
Hi,
My advice would also be NOT to quit your job. I always believe that Domain business is a supplementary income. It can provide you with big amount at times. But what it lacks is consistency. You cannot be assured of a regular income. In this business, you can go for months without making a sale.
And it is an evolving one. Numerals were not of much use in past, but they now have more value. Likewise the choice of extension to invest can also chance. Although .com is always safe, this need not be so a few years from now.

My suggestion would be. If you are bored with current job, try to do something which you are more interested.
Learn more things. Not only about domain business. About Web Designing , Development , like that. If you learn all these linked fields, you can sell domains more effectively by making them into websites and selling. At present you can maybe reduce your hours of work for a lesser pay maybe and devote the extra time to this business. And if you have some good sales, invest that money in other types of investments also and not only domains.

Hope my suggestions were useful.
Thanks

•••
Never quit your day job to be a domainer!

•••
Nope, stay employed!
I see this same story on so many forums.
For YEARS!
It is like, let me go to this forum and say I want to quit my job and do this full time because I hate my job and I don't make much money.
And always, same thing, keep your job.
And never see the original poster of these tales ever come back a year or two later and say, hey I quit my job and making scads of money off the internet.

•••
You should only quit your day job if the money you are making can replace your day job income, on a regular basis. The very nature of domaining is that it is not a stable income stream. So you will need something to fall back on, either your day job, or utilizing some of the other skills you have to earn an income. It's a very different scenario, having a day job to fall back on, viz-a-viz, being faced with a situation of earning zero income for several months, and living expenses and domaining expenses still needing to be paid.

•••
I've made more money the last 2 years at domaining than at my job. On track to do it again this year.

My wife says to quit work and domain full time. I can't do it because the pressure would be too much. It will take a sale of mid $xxx,xxx to 7 figs before I domain full time. Making money is easy. Making enough to live well is a different story!

•••
I will retire again if someone gave me 7 figures for iowadawg.
hahahahahhaha

•••
Thanks for all of u.. If you say domaining is your part-time work, how will you divide your time? after a hard day's work I can't focus with domaining. For example, last month I was so busy with my days job. I don't have time to spend time to socialize in NamePros, sell domain & anything. I was not focused. What goes on in my mind that I would have to work tomorrow, I have to do, and tonight I have to rest.

•••
•••
There are two types of "domainers":

Investors and Salespeople (and domains happen to be the product they sell)

Selling a domain is just like selling anything else, and the same question can be asked for almost any profession:

- Should I quit my job to sell real estate?
- Should I quit my job to sell insurance?
- Should I quit my job to buy and resell cars?
- Should I quit my job to sell homemade blankets? (that would be cool)

There is no right or wrong answer to any of these. It depends on you and what you are capable of.

Are you capable of contacting end users and selling domains? Have you sold domains yet?

Whatever you're considering, you are considering leaving a job to sell a product, a domain, and it has to be a quality one.

No one should ever quit their job to become an investor.

Investors invest money and wait/hope for returns which may never come or won't come for a long time.

Can you quit your job and earn a living by selling domains? Absolutely. If you know how to.

Would I recommend you doing this right now? No, because if you have to ask others for advice on if you should do it then you are not making money with it Today, so you are gambling and most people fail in this business.

First find out if you can actually make money doing this before you consider quitting a job. If you want to quit bad enough you'll do what you have to do on your free time, even if you're tired, many people work 12 - 15hrs a day, it's part of starting a new business.

Nothing stable comes easy.

G'luck

Btw, I'm selling an eBook about How to Make money, I hope I make money on it.

Last edited:
•••
An 8hr day normally doesn't burn you out as you are saying. You have another 16 hours for eating, relaxing, sleeping, and domaining.

•••
Instead your day job will give you money to invest in domaining and sells it higher prices!! Its the best financial support for you to invest in domaining.

•••
An 8hr day normally doesn't burn you out as you are saying. You have another 16 hours for eating, relaxing, sleeping, and domaining.

i know it.. but different for me. i'm not same with other peoples. I don't like work.

•••
i know it.. but different for me. i'm not same with other peoples. I don't like work.

The best suggestion is you can change your day job to a new company with new fresh environment if you dont like working with your present company!!

•••
Well, you are no different to a lot of 'other peoples'. Most people work because they have to and not because they want to.

•••
•••
I disagree I quit my job to be a investor.I do better now and I can come and go as I please but that's not in the field of domaining. I'm still new to this and I haven't made 5 cents yet. I didn't quit my job until I was making enough steady cash flow to quit my job. I would tell you when you're making enough steady money from domains and it's more then you make at your job quit if you want but it may take you a long time to develop the skills to make that kind of money in this field. Plus you can still work and do this on the side for now and make extra income

•••
@imadoer i like to hear this. now are you full time domainer?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back