Dynadot

discuss Should I quit my job and become a full-time Domainer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Azwan Asban

Top Member
Impact
Now I am working with a company lawyer as a clerk. I work for 8 hours a day like everyone else do.Worked as a clerk was tiring, boring, and I also do not like the bark by my boss. Should I quit my job and become a full time domainer? Being a successful domainer is my dream since a few years ago.If I stop working, what is the impact on my life later? Please share your thoughts and experience. I hope this thread will be able to provide useful lessons to beginner.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Lets think about this logically. Statistically the MAJORITY of people who try to do this do not make it. They do not get ahead let alone they never even make there investment back. Why quit your job when you can do both until you get this one off the ground. I make money offline and this is my hobby. I make thousands profit doing this but by no means would I wanna bet my lifestyle, cars, house, and other stuff I have based on a dream. Have your cake and eat it too keep them both. That way the domaining fails you don't fail.

Think about it this way if you need to make a thread to ask others. You yourself are not even confident that you can do it. Your already doubting yourself increasing failure. In sales you need self confidence. If you question yourself the buyer is gonna as well.

•••
No I'm not a full time domainer to me it's a dream too who wouldn't like to buy a bunch of names and sit back and collect a check i just started and I haven't made 5 cents lol

•••
If this is what you want to do for a living then do it but don't quit your job until you are make more then you do at work and it's steady consistent income

•••
The sales i have made for $1,500, $1,000, $500. plus parking revenue is easy because there's no stress. i don't have to pay bills with it. When I sell a domain or buy one based on my methods its no worries. There is no sense of urgency to close. I can be more relaxed and confident and it shows in the transactions.

•••
@baseballworld you sound like you are now full time domainer? i've heard you made sales $1500 on past 2 days ago. its true?

•••
i know it.. but different for me. i'm not same with other peoples. I don't like work.

Well ... yeah, most people don't.
Entry-level jobs suck. Not having enough money sucks more. Doing well at the entry level jobs and building your skills puts you in a better position to get jobs that don't suck.

If you have trouble dealing with the stresses of an 8 hr clerk job, that's nothing compared to the kind of stress you'll feel when you need a big deal to pay your bills and it falls through. And if you can't separate work from the rest of your life while working for someone else, (you said you think of work when you're not there) you certainly won't separate them working for yourself. It's still work and there will still be challenges and frustrations - just of a different kind.

My vote goes to keeping the job for now, sell domains on the side. If you see yourself doing well with the domain sales - well enough to support yourself on that income alone - then plan a transition where you'll at least have some money in the bank and skills to fall back on if you hit a dry spell.

•••
@baseballworld you sound like you are now full time domainer? i've heard you made sales $1500 on past 2 days ago. its true?

Yeah i have but not fulltime. Like I said its a hobby. I make my spare cash doing it. I will say this I am way ahead the domain i sold for 1500 i believe cost me $1.99 godaddy code.

•••
He just said he's not a full time domainer.

I'm a part-time domainer and full-time student. By next year I should be doing this as a professional.

It's not easy, takes a lot of risk and is very stressful.

Last edited:
•••
The prudent answer is that you should wait until you're making enough money with domaining to quit your day job. Whether the prudent answer is the right answer is a different story. I'm an example of someone who too the plunge and started domaining full time right from the start. I think the benefit I got from going that route is that it put me in a position where I absolutely had to make money or I wouldn't be able to pay my rent. That meant that I was always kept motivated to work really hard, because if I didn't, I'd be out on the street. I don't think I would have accomplished anywhere near as much if I could have afforded to lose the money I was putting into domains.The work ultimately paid off and I'm now making a decent living, but there were some pretty tough and stressful times along the way. One thing you should be clear about, however, is that you're not likely to succeed if your objective is to "not work". Domaining requires hard work, especially when you're getting started. If you're not prepared for that then stick to your job.

•••
By no means man don't use me as an example of how its gonna be. I am one of the lucky ones who just happened to get so far ahead registering domains with godaddy codes. I got lucky and my work paid off.
I AM A RARE CASE.
I put in atleast 2 years reading and studying on namepros forum. honestly. I also took tips from successful people in the parking industry and already had a extensive sales background. My past did door to door sales and phone sales.
Take what you learn here
twist it to fit your needs
then apply it

•••
Yeah i have but not fulltime. Like I said its a hobby. I make my spare cash doing it. I will say this I am way ahead the domain i sold for 1500 i believe cost me $1.99 godaddy code.

WOW ! great sales. makes me even more excited. so actually what you sold?
btw congrats 4 the great roi.

•••

•••
I sold a private sale dot com. lol
sold one same way last year to priceline.
That one sale if I only ever counted that one covers all my domain expenses since i started and then some.

•••
Think of domaining like a drug. Don't become a statistic. 8 years I've seen more failure here then success just the nature of this beast.

•••
i know it.. but different for me. i'm not same with other peoples. I don't like work.

If you don't like work. Probably the majority of people don't. You shouldn't become a full-time domainer. It's a lot of hard work. If you don't like your job, then as @kawalsukhi said, you should change your job. You need the steady income derived from your job, to pay for your living expenses. Which is why I said in my first post, that you should only quit your day job, if domaining can replace your job income with your domain income, on a regular basis. And, the very nature of domaining is that it is not a stable income stream.

Last edited:
•••
If you don't like work. Probably the majority of people don't. You shouldn't become a full-time domainer. It's a lot of hard work. If you don't like your job, then as @kawalsukhi said, you should change your job. You need the steady income derived from your job, to pay for your living expenses. Which is why I said in my first post, that you should only quite your day job, if domaining can replace your job income with your domain income, on a regular basis. And, the very nature of domaining is that it is not a stable income stream.

If you don't like work. Probably the majority of people don't. You shouldn't become a full-time domainer. It's a lot of hard work. If you don't like your job, then as @kawalsukhi said, you should change your job. You need the steady income derived from your job, to pay for your living expenses. Which is why I said in my first post, that you should only quite your day job, if domaining can replace your job income with your domain income, on a regular basis. And, the very nature of domaining is that it is not a stable income stream.

i'm not saying i don't like a hard work. everyday i have to face a hard situation at work, with my gf, anything. Well after everyone directly give me a suggestion, yes! i have to change my current job. I'm a very -negative one now at np. But i believe i can make my life become a +positive later, i tell you again i never saying i don't like hardwork. I have a good plan in domaining.

•••
i'm not saying i don't like a hard work. everyday i have to face a hard situation at work, with my gf, anything. Well after everyone directly give me a suggestion, yes! i have to change my current job. I'm a very -negative one now at np. But i believe i can make my life become a +positive later, i tell you again i never saying i don't like hardwork. I have a good plan in domaining.

And how much money have you made? A range is fine.

•••
•••
one domain sold for $250 on past 2 weeks ago. at sedo.

Can you live off of $250 per month?

I've had sales from x,xxx to xx,xxx and earn x,xxx in parking.

I'm still not willing to do this full-time yet.

•••
•••
•••
•••
IMO, your biggest problem will be your English. No offense intended.

haha. its funny. i have to learn english more. any classes?

•••
You can chase your dream about being a full time domainer but if you can't pay your bills or support your self u may need to get another job in my opinion it's way to early for you to do so I'm not telling you can't do this it's clearly way to early to go full time

•••
What happens if you give up your day job, and you cannot replicate the success you've had to date, on a regular basis. Say you need $1000 each month. And you've sold 1 domain in 2 weeks for $250. That's $500/month. So you just lost $500. How are you going to pay for that? Of course this is just an example. You need to do your own calculation. But think of it this way. If you are planning to sell 1 domain every 2 weeks, you are already overdue on making the next sale. When and where is that coming from? It might take weeks or months until your next sale. Just think about it. The very nature of domaining is that it is not a stable income stream.

Of course if you are confident that you can replicate your success, regularly, and it gives you enough income, I would say go live your dream. I'm just pointing out some of the pitfalls. You cannot force anybody to buy your domains on any kind of regular timetable. So you probably need at least twice your present income before you start thinking about giving up your day job. But changing your day job, you should seriously consider.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back