Domain Empire

discuss Should I quit my job and become a full-time Domainer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Azwan Asban

Top Member
Impact
Now I am working with a company lawyer as a clerk. I work for 8 hours a day like everyone else do.Worked as a clerk was tiring, boring, and I also do not like the bark by my boss. Should I quit my job and become a full time domainer? Being a successful domainer is my dream since a few years ago.If I stop working, what is the impact on my life later? Please share your thoughts and experience. I hope this thread will be able to provide useful lessons to beginner.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can chase your dream about being a full time domainer but if you can't pay your bills or support your self u may need to get another job in my opinion it's way to early for you to do so I'm not telling you can't do this it's clearly way to early to go full time

i don't have any problem with my bills ..

•••
It's your life bro if you think you can do it do it u may be setting your self up for failure the odds are against you ...but we are all gamblers in this business maybe you will win maybe not i know i'm not quitting what I do until I'm making at least xxx,xxx in this business then I might go full time but I got a long way to go good luck bro

•••
i don't have any problem with my bills ..
It seems you have a comeback for everyone's 'advice or suggestion', and seem to feel you can be a successful full time domainer (with your 21years of life/work experience and 3 months of domaining experience :rolleyes:), so I'd suggest you go ahead and go for it! Quit your job and become a full time domainer. You won't be the first newbie domainer that quit their job to jump head first into domaining. And you can be just like them in a few months too, most likely working at a lesser job than they had prior, and/or further in debt than they can dig themselves out of. I mean why ask for others advice, when you've already made up your mind and know what 'you can do'! After all, as what seems to be a notable trend with new domainers, 'one sale' in this business automatically makes one an expert domainer, ready to show (and teach) every one else - 'how it's done'! :rolleyes: ..good grief.

•••
If you can't find the energy to put in in several hours a day at domaining while you hold a job, you certainly won't have the energy to succeed on your own. You are young, and can afford to lose a little sleep if it means getting ahead.

Lot's of people say "If only I could quit my job, I would have the time to.... (write a book, start a business, become a professional artist, etc.) Some do quit their job. Almost none succeed. They squander their savings and never accomplish their goal.

That's an expensive lesson. A year of life gone, money gone, and all they've learned was that they were making excuses and daydreaming before. Don't do that.

Learn to focus now, and to make the most of your time while you have a job. Only after you have learned that will you be able to quit your job and be successful on your own. How do you use your time, except for the 8 hours at the office? If you are too tired to use your free time, why? What happens to the 16 hours each day you are not working at that job you hate?

•••
Unless you are on the level of Frank Schilling or Rick Schwartz or have a huge savings or some type of capitol or plan to make a business or service that goes along with domaining, I would say: No. Do not quit your job.

Most domainers I know, even the successful ones, do not make income solely on domain names alone. They have multiple things going in addition to domains (aka don't put all your eggs in one basket).

Domain income can be sporadic and expenses are guaranteed.

Stick with your job at first lowering the amount of hours as you go while you figure it out.

Long story short: domaining is not something to just leap into. Quit your job when you become a successful domainer not in order to become one.

•••
Lot's of people say "If only I could quit my job, I would have the time to.... (write a book, start a business, become a professional artist, etc.) Some do quit their job. Almost none succeed. They squander their savings and never accomplish their goal.

That's an expensive lesson. A year of life gone, money gone, and all they've learned was that they were making excuses and daydreaming before. Don't do that.

Learn to focus now, and to make the most of your time while you have a job. Only after you have learned that will you be able to quit your job and be successful on your own. How do you use your time, except for the 8 hours at the office? If you are too tired to use your free time, why? What happens to the 16 hours each day you are not working at that job you hate?

Best advice ever. I'm sharing this on Facebook.

•••
if you have a bout 20k of capital to use to buy domains, sure you can try. doesn't mean you'll be successful though.

•••
Now I am working with a company lawyer as a clerk. I work for 8 hours a day like everyone else do.Worked as a clerk was tiring, boring, and I also do not like the bark by my boss. Should I quit my job and become a full time domainer? Being a successful domainer is my dream since a few years ago.If I stop working, what is the impact on my life later? Please share your thoughts and experience. I hope this thread will be able to provide useful lessons to beginner.

I quit a job myself 14 years ago to try affiliate marketing full time (successfully), then added domaining, 6 years ago or so. Was only making $200 a month at the time but was in a good financial situation where I could take that risk, it was worth it. It's much better being free then being a slave to the grind.

I would ask, are you having any success whatsoever with domaining now? You should for you to even think about quitting. It is something you can be successful with in your spare time. It only takes me about an hour a day going thru the names using the tools I use. Then it's just placing bids. After wins, get the domains setup, parking, up for offer/sale at the various places and that doesn't take much time. So you should have the time for it now.

So first, you should have some type of success.

I would suggest saving about a year's worth of income to live on. Then you give yourself a full year to try it out and you wouldn't have to worry about money. Of course with this, you need some money to spend on domains.

If you quit, try domaining out full time and it doesn't work out, can you get another job like the one you have now pretty easily?

It depends on each person's situation. How you are financially. Do you have a family to take care of? I think it's easier taking a risk like that when you're single. You have to weigh the risks and if you're in a good situation, go for it.

But again, you should have some type of success already before taking that first step.

Last edited:
•••
No way. You are nowhere near ready, trust me.

•••
You only have 1 life, do it before it's too late if you're confident it can work.

•••
Im trying domaining because my friend said it's easy to make money but I have read in this thread that it's not the case. I'm thankful that I don't buy domains first.

•••
In india leaving your job is not advisable to make money domaining , as powerful government officials will steal your retirement savings to blackmail you, there are few indian buyers for domain names, and these officials will also falsely claim that the domains belong to their greedy good looking friends who actually do not spend a single penny on the domain name to get their fraud friends lucrative government jobs, at the expense of the real domainer who will be ruthlessly defamed and only left to pay the massive bills.

•••
Be realistic with yourself. How much earnings are you personally happy with per month? Can domaining do that for you better than your current job? I know you answered "yes" to the second question- domaining CAN BE more profitable. However, from what you've told us so far in the thread so far, that's all it is so far- a "can be". Until you prove consistently- not from sales spanning 1 month, 2 month, 3 months, etc.- but a whole half a year at MINIMUM to prove that domaining on the side can come close to your monthly earning goals... then you can make the switch.

Make a strategic plan to test out whether it's possible and work your butt off. Otherwise, how will you know if domaining is right for you full time? This might be a bit cliché, but those 16 hours need to be used to achieve your dreams of becoming a full time domainer. We all have the same number of hours in the day, don't make excuses.

Domaining is not easy, it has a huge learning curve. And even once your overcome it, relying on domain sales alone to provide a living for you and your family is dangerous territory...... listen to what other people said on this thread, all the successful domainers don't exclusively invest in domains. They have diversified and consistent cash flow from web development, affiliate marketing, online services, and the list goes on and on.

Good luck and remember to just be realistic. Anything is possible of course, but you have to approach it very carefully and strategically.

•••
@hawkeye yes. i have only 3 months experience in domaining. I've already learn about this business by reading so many books(borrow some books at library), domainer blog, thread in np. The first step is create a goal and build a first success. go for it. never look at back. yes, i'm done.

•••
I also agree with the ones who posted about not quitting your job to be a fulltime domainer. But if domaining is something that you absolutely want to make your main business and your current job is being a problem, find a different job with a bit more lenient timing. Or, make 6-7 figures through domaining while holding on to your current job and invest the money in building a passive income stream (something offline like a property you could rent out) earning a minimum amount every month that you could rely on if your domaining business doesn’t go as planned. By then, you would also have enough experience to decide whether you should become a fulltime domainer.

Whatever path you choose, always have a second income stream while domaining because domaining is not reliable. There is always a possibility of going without sales for months or not making enough.

•••
@Domainace its hard for me to spent time about 16hours after tired at work. 8hours go for sleep.

@tiawood my level now 4/10 .. IMO

•••
@Domainace its hard for me to spent time about 16hours after tired at work. 8hours go for sleep.

@tiawood my level now 4/10 .. IMO

I think you should change the title of this thread to "Please tell me that I should quit my job and become a full time domainer, because that is what I will do no matter what advice anyone gives me. " :)

•••
@JBlionsthanks 4 your experience. i can take all the risks.
@dnk i know india. i've know a some successful domainer from india.
@Dlev i'm happy unless i get a $400 for a month. Its enough 4 me.

•••
Now, you should continue your current job and spend little time for investing domain. Try to sell domain at low prices and earn few bucks first. This will give you lots of valuable experience before dreaming of making 6 figure income.

Once you feel that you can earn more than what your current job is bringing, then you can quit.

Please make a plan, and take action when every thing is controlled. You can take risk, but with the knowledge of risk management. Don't gamble your life.

•••
I applaud your ambition, but I still say "don't quit your day job". I'm really really surprised that your day job is so tiring that you need to sleep for 16hrs to recover. I think you definitely need to find a less tiring day job, first.

•••
I think you should change the title of this thread to "Please tell me that I should quit my job and become a full time domainer, because that is what I will do no matter what advice anyone gives me. " :)

this thread not only for me. this thread is the best lesson 4 beginners and all of us.

so share your some failed story, about what the impact after your quit your jobs to being a domainer.

•••
I applaud your ambition, but I still say "don't quit your day job". I'm really really surprised that your day job is so tiring that you need to sleep for 16hrs to recover. I think you definitely need to find a less tiring day job, first.

thanks stub. I still going with my days job. don't worry. My work is not tiring physically, but spiritually exhausting.

•••
Top 5 Worst things you can do in determining a career strategy:

5) Ask someone else you don't know personally
4) Listen to someone else that you've asked
3) Listen to someone else that you've asked that is hugely successful in the target industry
2) Listen to someone else that you've asked that is not even making a living in the target industry
1) Listen to someone else that you've asked that is not even making a living in the target industry who has sentences that include the word "bro","dude" or generally can't put 2gether sentances not filed with short hand bs

•••
As a clerk for a lawyer, your job should not be spiritually exhausting. You should find another job. Or you have to find a way to make your job less spiritually exhausting. If you considered it as means to an end of some day branching out as a domainer, would that help?

•••
Top 5 Worst things you can do in determining a career strategy:

1) Listen to someone else that you've asked that is not even making a living in the target industry who has sentences that include the word "bro","dude" or generally can't put 2gether sentances not filed with short hand bs

i wondering whether there people not honest to gives a solution way to me.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back