NameSilo

question Should I market a domain that's locked until Sept 17

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ollie3000

Top Member
Impact
Hi folks,

So I had a binge buying expired domains and some hand regs this month. I used a registrar that I hadn't used before and now they're all locked until September! My fault, I should have looked at the small print and not just the cheap dot com price.

However my question is...... Should I market them now or wait? I know it's not like they're all going to sell straight away and some may never sell but what if I catch a bite and screw up a potential sale because the domain isn't actually available to transfer yet.

Hope this make sense!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you sell the domain before it's locked time no problem, you can push the domain at the same registrar but I don`t know which registrar you use

•••
If it's at an obscure registrar, might as well wait. Some of those companies have very silly / time consuming "push" processes which are likely to scare buyers away unless they really, really like the name (unlikely for something you just registered).

Last edited:
•••
push to major reg like godaddy or enom and sell it....you dont want to be known as a seller who cant deliver...

•••
I used a registrar

Which registrar? It would help us help you if we knew the registrar. As obscure as they maybe, there's a good chance someone has used it.

hey're all locked until September

Not your fault or the registrars. If these are new regs, they have to be transfer locked for 60 days as per ICANN rules. You can market it but make sure the registrar allows you to push domains. Also, if the registrar is relatively obscure, your buyers might balk at accepting a name there. So please keep this in mind as well

•••
Sorry for the slow reply! The domains were registered with names.co.uk. I have checked and they do allow for push on dot coms

•••
They might allow a push but they charge to transfer out as per this thread - https://www.namepros.com/threads/names-co-uk.1004214/
Few more threads:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/names-co-uk-register-it-and-similar-registrars.986086/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/names-co-uk-experience.940450/

Names.co.uk support page - https://www.names.co.uk/support/1153-transferring_a_domain_name_away_from_namesco.html

Keep this in mind when reselling the names. Not a good experience for your buyers when they do want to transfer out.

The information above might be dated so please do your due diligence in advance.

•••
I did see that actually and I have no idea whether they are still charging £10 for transfers. I registered around 50 domains in July for £1.99 each. So AUTO renew is firmly off.

I've got some good ones though and although I don't agree with the transfer fee, if I get a good offer then I'm not too worried about that - I'll take £10 off the price if needed.

Also on the ICANN rules, some registrars are offering an 'opt out' I think, but I didn't read the small print with names.co.uk, I just went with the really low price.

•••
I've got some good ones though and although I don't agree with the transfer fee, if I get a good offer then I'm not too worried about that - I'll take £10 off the price if needed.
You'll have to pay this to just get the epp so don't take it off the price but add to it ;)

Also on the ICANN rules, some registrars are offering an 'opt out' I think, but I didn't read the small print with names.co.uk, I just went with the really low price.
Opt out of what?

I did see that actually and I have no idea whether they are still charging £10 for transfers. I registered around 50 domains in July for £1.99 each. So AUTO renew is firmly off.
Auto-renew has no relevance in this case but the deal isn't worth it imo

•••
ICANN - Some registrars now offer the option of opting out of domain lock - It's a tick-able box at point of purchase. However names.co.uk don't offer that.

£10 fee - If I pushed to another user, they would have to pay the fee to transfer out. If i'm understanding correctly. Or if I transfer away from them I'd have to pay the fee.

Auto Renew - I mean't that I buy a few at a low price and won't be keeping them all, so auto renew is off. If I sell some then great and if not then I've spent £100 rather than £500 at GD. So for me the deal is definitely worth the risk of paying a transfer fee on the ones I do sell. One small sale covers all my costs :)

•••
ICANN - Some registrars now offer the option of opting out of domain lock - It's a tick-able box at point of purchase. However names.co.uk don't offer that.
Again, immaterial. You can't transfer out without an EPP code and that is only obtained by purchasing it from names.co.uk

£10 fee - If I pushed to another user, they would have to pay the fee to transfer out. If i'm understanding correctly. Or if I transfer away from them I'd have to pay the fee.
Either works but the former will leave a bad taste in your buyer's mouth...

Auto Renew - I mean't that I buy a few at a low price and won't be keeping them all, so auto renew is off. If I sell some then great and if not then I've spent £100 rather than £500 at GD. So for me the deal is definitely worth the risk of paying a transfer fee on the ones I do sell. One small sale covers all my costs :)
Got it... But then, in the current situation, I'd (personally) wait until after the transfer lock before trying to sell them (or at least until day 50-55).

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back