Domain Empire

discuss ShortNames (Formerly LLLLSales)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dominic Belley

Four Letter AcronymsTop Member
Impact
What a surprise today when I noticed the huge changes on the website LLLLSales.com, now redirecting to ShortNames.com by @rpanella.

More features and now a lot more data info than just the 4L.com

Personnally, I really like the new "Fixed Price" menu for the 4L. I am not really in other short like 5L, 6N, 7N, but it is nice to have it all in one place.

What do you guys think of it?

Previous: https://www.namepros.com/threads/llllsales-com.561686/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A nice revamp, not sure about maroon colour scheme, but looks featurific and easy to use.

Well done to the owner.

•••
ShortNames has been under development for nearly 8 months so it's nice to have it finally go live!

It was a little difficult (for nostalgic reasons) to flip the switch and redirect LLLLSales.com after running it for 7+ years, but the new system is a huge improvement, and I have many more features planned that didn't make it into the initial launch.

Please feel free to give any suggestions or point out any bugs or problems you come across.

Hope you find it useful!

•••
Just had a peak now... Looks good. Nice, clean layout

•••
great new look
tons of sale data for all.
very good job owners!

•••
Great job Russell. Shortnames.com looks fantastic.

•••
This is incredible. Just last night in chat I was asking about a decent source for CCC.com auction prices. Exactly what I've been looking for!

Quite an impressive rollout. Congrats and thanks!

•••
Unless I can't see it, there should be a way to check all "Letter pattern" boxes with one click.

In the previous version, I used to make a search of all letter patterns, except one. Since they were all checked by default, I only had to uncheck the pattern I did not need.

Now to reproduce that same search, I have to check the 15 letter pattern boxes (all but one).

•••
Thanks @rpanella This is a game changer! Gonna save me time...but probably cost me more $..which I don't mind...Stat sites like this will only make prices go up! (IMO)

The charts are way better too! :)

Cheers!

•••
•••
•••
Finally we have full of variety of short names history. Great job.. Well done..

•••
ShortNames has been under development for nearly 8 months so it's nice to have it finally go live!

It was a little difficult (for nostalgic reasons) to flip the switch and redirect LLLLSales.com after running it for 7+ years, but the new system is a huge improvement, and I have many more features planned that didn't make it into the initial launch.

Please feel free to give any suggestions or point out any bugs or problems you come across.

Hope you find it useful!

Nice! Your site is incredibly useful for browsing auctions and sales. I love the name change and new features. I'll be visiting often. How often is data updated?

RJ

•••
Unless I can't see it, there should be a way to check all "Letter pattern" boxes with one click.

In the previous version, I used to make a search of all letter patterns, except one. Since they were all checked by default, I only had to uncheck the pattern I did not need.

Now to reproduce that same search, I have to check the 15 letter pattern boxes (all but one).

I did have a check all option at one point during development, but ended up leaving it out to reduce clutter on the interface because it seems like a rare use-case. Most searches either don't want to filter by pattern (so leaving it blank shows all patterns) or they want to see one or just a few of them at once, which is easy the way it's set up now. It's less common to want to search for all but one option, especially with 16 different patterns. This could be changed in the future though if there is enough demand for it. Thanks for the suggestion.

By the way, clicking the red number link after a checkbox will select only that option, making it quicker to toggle between them.

•••
Nice! Your site is incredibly useful for browsing auctions and sales. I love the name change and new features. I'll be visiting often. How often is data updated?

RJ

Thanks RJ!

The data is updated differently depending on the type of listing as well as the marketplace (some provide real-time feeds, some are just updated daily). As of now, most fixed price and make offer listings are updated once per day. Most auctions are updated at least hourly, with those ending soon updating even more often. We will continue to improve on this in the future.

•••
Great site and resource! Nice name too.

•••
Amazing data information on shortnames wowowowo Wow .... this will really help domain investors
to have it all in one place ,
terrific job thank you

•••
Hey Russell, you should put a donate paypal button on the site :$:B-):$: this is so awesome and a great resource , im sure you will get some domainers that will reciprocate some funds to you .

•••
Good stuff Russell, you outdid yourself

•••

I was trying to explore 'promissing' new extensions such as .xyz, .club or else by looking at past sales

It was almost impossible to do.

It would help to have more sophisticated search forms (for example possibility to select an extension and search all past sales accross the various categories (eg LLL, NNN...).

•••
I was trying to explore 'promissing' new extensions such as .xyz, .club or else by looking at past sales

It was almost impossible to do.

It would help to have more sophisticated search forms (for example possibility to select an extension and search all past sales accross the various categories (eg LLL, NNN...).

Thank you for the suggestion. I definitely realize our extension filter is pretty limited when it comes to less popular extensions or new tlds. I will update it soon to allow you to filter by many more options instead of lumping most into 'Other.'

As for searching one extension across all categories, I'm not sure if that's something I'll add, although I do think some type of breakdown of sales by extension would be a useful thing to have.

Also, unrelated to your question, I've now added now added auctions and am tracking sales from the Dynadot Marketplace as well.

•••
Thanks for your answer

If I may suggest, there are two different ways to search a domain database:

- search history with the intend to perform statistical analysis

- search in order to buy expired/auctioned or whatever domains.

The two searches need a different interface. From what I can see, your interface is quite fine for the second type of searches. I think it is not adequate for the first search (and the captcha hurt a lot usability). I really doubt the same interface is suitable for both functions. I'd suggest you drop the menu 'sales' and redesign the historical search.

Anyhow, you already have an excellent site with great information.

•••
Recently Uniregistry released sales data for ~5700 domains that sold through their platform from Feb 2015 to June 2016. The data is interesting because it is mostly end-user sales at higher prices. I've imported all the short domain sales into ShortNames, and here is the breakdown of sales by category and extension:

Code:
category   .com    other ext
LL         1       25
LLL        42      91
LLLL       324     105
5L         289     87
NNN        0       14
NNNN       4       7
5N         22      1
6N         9       1
7N+        5       0
C          0       14
CC         2       5
CCC        15      4
CCCC       15      1

You can browse the sales on the site using the Venue filter, for example here are all LLLL.com sales from Uniregistry: http://shortnames.com/llll/sales#4JuK

•••
Excellent upgrades
I benefited greatly from this site
Thanks for those who support it.

•••
In the charts, there should be a 25th or 50th percentile line.

It would be nice to know the trends of the prices closer to the middle and not only monitoring the absolute lowest sales that occurred.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back