Dynadot

Seller wants to keep email

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NetworkPearl

Top Member
Impact
Hi,

I'm purchasing a domain from an IT company and we have agreed to a price but the IT company asked me that they want to keep the emails assosicated with the domain for a year.

I'm not sure how this is possible since they have around 100 emails on that domain and I want it to be transferred to another registrar.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is possible if you are willing to accommodate them. You will need to change MX settings to their servers till the agreed upon time. And you can still keep point the domain to any website you want. The only drawback is it will be difficult to sell this name during the time of your agreement since not many buyers will agree to such an arrangement.

•••
It is possible if you are willing to accommodate them. You will need to change MX settings to their servers till the agreed upon time. And you can still keep point the domain to any website you want. The only drawback is it will be difficult to sell this name during the time of your agreement since not many buyers will agree to such an arrangement.
Yes that's the issue I was actually looking to flip the domain but will look into it.

Thanks

•••
You could leave the MX unchanged to their current mail server.
I always recommend using a third party DNS service BTW. It's just that you can't flip the domain right away.
But being patient and waiting for the right offer can be good thing too.

•••
Wondering why would the IT company sell a domain with 100 associated emails !!!!
They have nothing to do if the buyer just decides not to let the emails after few days !!!!

•••
Most likely they aren't using those emails actively. Probably would like to keep them for a limited time until they are sure all customers have the new contact details. Still risky to do such a thing. The new owner can easily recreate the email accounts and communicate directly with the customers.

•••
Wondering why would the IT company sell a domain with 100 associated emails !!!!
They have nothing to do if the buyer just decides not to let the emails after few days !!!!
I was thinking the same :xf.wink:

•••
Most likely they aren't using those emails actively. Probably would like to keep them for a limited time until they are sure all customers have the new contact details. Still risky to do such a thing. The new owner can easily recreate the email accounts and communicate directly with the customers.
Yes that's the main reason.

•••
Hi,

I'm purchasing a domain from an IT company and we have agreed to a price but the IT company asked me that they want to keep the emails assosicated with the domain for a year.

I'm not sure how this is possible since they have around 100 emails on that domain and I want it to be transferred to another registrar.

That's typically a negotiation strategy that nobody follows through with, it's odd that they would sell the domain if they were so worried about the eMails.

Just let them keep the nameservers the same and create a 'may be for sale' landing page on the root of the public_html directory. This will keep the backend intact, including eMails, and you can transfer the domain wherever you would like.

Make sure you are using a gMail eMail address, or a non-domain associated eMail address, to control the domain registration. If the domain is Tires.com don't use @tires.com as to control the domain because you don't want them with eMail access to those controls.

•••
Hi,

Rent them the domain back :xf.cool::xf.grin:

•••
I t would be business stupid of them to sell customer emails along with the domain. So either:
  • they are "business stupid"
  • they simply really need the cash you are offering
  • they were using "email baggage" as a negotiation tactic to get you to increase your offer
Tell them (diplomatically) that you have no desire to take on their email baggage and that they have your final offer. They have shown their hand, you are driving this deal. If you don't mind the email baggage, tell them you will take it on for a reduction in domain price.

Last edited:
•••
Keeping 100 emails for a year is asking for too much.
I've sold a domain before of which I've used an email address and part of the deal was that I have access to that email address for a year, so the email was forwarded by them to another address of mine, and all went well. But having to deal with 100 is way too much, and they should not be able to use the email to send mail, but try to use email forward instead if you have to do it.

•••
Rent them the domain back :xf.cool::xf.grin:

This is my thought. Why not rent the domain back to them for a year? If they want to keep their email addresses, they should have to pay for the service. Unless of course you are getting a "steal" on the price and they may back out of the sale otherwise. Very interesting situation

•••
Why wouldn't the IT company just keep ownership for another year before selling the domain to an unknown third party?

•••
Or just create a catchall email fowarder and send all emails received on that domain to them for a year.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back