NameSilo

Sedo slowly dying!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Sedo domain name sales have been on a steady decline for 3-4 years now but as this is going there will be no Sedo left within a year or two. At least not like it used to be.
The Sedo website and system hasn’t been updated for years, commissions have been raised (probably to keep the profit up while overall sales plummet), and frankly I wonder what domainers are still selling domain names at Sedo. Probably only some old clients that haven’t heard of new services or don’t bother changing platforms and maybe some domainers that want to have their domains listed at every platform available.
So is Sedo slowly dying? Some will say it is already dead. It is still riding on its past good reputation. But that reputation has been tarnished...
Read More and More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What I really miss at Sedo is a dedicated for sale landing page without any ads at all. My parking revenue is a joke anyway, but not sure if Sedo wants to give away their (probably very large) share by creating a page without ads.
Such page is offered by Bodis and Above.
+ you may try UniregistryMarket-landers.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Such page is offered by Bodis and Above.

+ you may try UniregistryMarket-landers.
Thanks, but I would like to see Sedo offer such a page as well.

•••
•••
-Their landing pages are outdated and haven't really changed much in so many years.

-Their customer service is "meh" at best

-They have the option which says buy now / make offer, you click on "buy now", hence offering what the seller is asking and you think you got a deal! Not so fast, the seller can still decide to not accept the sale as it's a make offer /buy now, not just buy now. Yes, it makes no sense, but that's what happened and sedo support's answer was exactly that.

-They have the option to put a "buy now" strictly or "buy now / make offer". Guess what when you put "buy now / make offer" even though you have indicated a "buy now" price, when someone searches domains with a "buy now" parameter, your listing doesn't show!!

I contacted their support to ask why my listing doesn't appear in search results when someone searches "buy now" listings if my listing has a "Buy now / Make offer" option. The answer: it's not the same thing and we've found that "buy now" pricing helps the domain sell quicker... if anything I DO HAVE A BUY NOW PRICE, it's just I've put the option to potentially accept a lower offer also, but no matter what, the client that is searching for names that they can buy outright at a set price still gets what they want.
Godaddy's TDNAM thankfully shows all "buy now" listings regardless if just buy now or buy now/make offer which is only logical

I just put my names on there for the odd chance it sells, which hasn't happened with them for a very long time.. most of my sales are from personal landing pages or outbound

Last edited:
•••
I contacted their support to ask why my listing doesn't appear in search results when someone searches "buy now" listings if my listing has a "Buy now / Make offer" option. The answer: it's not the same thing and we've found that "buy now" pricing helps the domain sell quicker... if anything I DO HAVE A BUY NOW PRICE, it's just I've put the option to potentially accept a lower offer also, but no matter what, the client that is searching for names that they can buy outright at a set price still gets what they want.
Godaddy's TDNAM thankfully shows all "buy now" listings regardless if just buy now or buy now/make offer which is only logical
I think this is a problem with expireddomains.net too...for GD listings.. I could be wrong. But I found a bunch of BIN / Make offer domains that only show up in the Make offer section, but not BIN. I can't remember the expireddomains guy's username here though :p
and when you look at make offer domains, you can only see the min offer, no BIN

•••
And to pay 15% for that???

The Sedo process still works pretty well for me. I think they do a lot to emphasize buyer protection, which has a reassuring effect on potential buyers. But I certainly wouldn't use them as the only channel.

•••
The same buyer protection they have just as Escrow (3% or min. $60).
So you lose the additional 12% for nothing...

•••
Also you may link your domains to Sedo with ParkingCrew.
It is fully supported there.

•••
Also you may link your domains to Sedo with ParkingCrew.
It is fully supported there.

Yes, that is an option. But I just think it is nice for a buyer to see that he is only dealing with one entity - such as Sedo. I feel a bit uncomfortable when I reach a landing page by one parking company and then a link to a second company or an Escrow.com button without any clear indication of who exactly I am dealing with.

•••
ParkingCrew-data are NOT displayed on their landers at all.

•••
•••
Year# of Sold Domains at Sedo
The down trend is because of the minimum $50 fee.
Sedo's minimum fee has been $50-60 for as long as I can remember.

I don't think that fee has anything to do with the decline shown.

•••
The down trend is because a lot of domains are moved out from Sedo...
To Uniregistry etc.

I also removed all 1.5 years ago and selling them directly...

•••
+ Monetization/Parking at Sedo is awful.
One more reason for this down trend.

Last edited:
•••
Regarding their MLS (20%) - never received any serious offers/buyers through this channel, always under $500.

•••
Their Escrow is good, significantly better than Escrow.com
The only one PLUS.

•••
Every time I wonder why Sedo is so crappy I remember they are owned by the same company that runs 1and1 :xf.rolleyes:
Yes, 1and1 is uncomfortable... but saves a lot of money...

•••
Very interesting discussion :xf.confused:

•••
Part of the issue is that sedo is so popular among domainers that it becomes too competitive to get visibility to your names. Nevertheless, outside marketing does help. :)

•••
I owned 3 domains but my hosting has not been renewed. I hope to list them on sedo, unregistry, bodis and all other sites listed here. Thanks for sharing.

•••
Sedo's minimum fee has been $50-60 for as long as I can remember.

I don't think that fee has anything to do with the decline shown.

Sedo.com Raises Commission to 15% From 10% on Marketplace Sales & To 20% On MLS Fixed Price Sales

JULY 1, 2011 BY MICHAEL BERKENS 60 COMMENTS

Sedo.com announced today that it is raising the commission rate of sale made through the it’s Marketplace (without broker assistance) to 15% from 10%.

Also for those customers who fix price domains to sell in the Sedo MLS service, the commission rate will rise from 15% to 20%.
-------

As far as remember In the beginning that fix amount doesn't apply buy now listings later they applied it to all listings. At some point it makes things impossible to sell domains under 50 USD.

•••
~50% of sales on Sedo are under $500 (their own stats).

•••
I get inquiries but have had sales there. My best results still come from GD auctions.

Do you pay the $5 for reserve or just start them at your minimum price?
Or do you start it lower with no reserve on good names as you know they will get bids?

•••
Do you pay the $5 for reserve or just start them at your minimum price?
Or do you start it lower with no reserve on good names as you know they will get bids?
I have on occasion paid to set a reserve. Mostly for domains I don't want to take a chance on selling under value. Most often, with 7 day auctions, I don't set a reserve. I also have domains with BIN prices and those seem to do well.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back