NameSilo

Sedo slowly dying!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Sedo domain name sales have been on a steady decline for 3-4 years now but as this is going there will be no Sedo left within a year or two. At least not like it used to be.
The Sedo website and system hasn’t been updated for years, commissions have been raised (probably to keep the profit up while overall sales plummet), and frankly I wonder what domainers are still selling domain names at Sedo. Probably only some old clients that haven’t heard of new services or don’t bother changing platforms and maybe some domainers that want to have their domains listed at every platform available.
So is Sedo slowly dying? Some will say it is already dead. It is still riding on its past good reputation. But that reputation has been tarnished...
Read More and More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
removing that ridiculous $60 or so minimum fee that has nothing to do with market averages elsewhere... would be a good start.

•••
•••
From my experience, the Sedo marketplace does not generate sales. I've sold a decent number of domains at Sedo over the past 10 years but every one of them was parked at Sedo at the time of the sale. About 3 months back I switched to Bodis landing pages and sales are up about 300% during that short period of time.

I'm starting to test with Efty.com too in hopes I can raise it even higher.

I also had good luck forwarding domains to their Godaddy premium listings but I prefer to have the buyer make an opening offer and I also like to avoid paying commissions.

•••
OP: We agree about the website "design" in particular as it is virtually unusable on a mobile device. This is unforgivable in a world where more users / buyers are abandoning desktops, or never had one to begin with.

•••
Again, SEDO's site needs work, and they've recently eliminated the ability for sellers to earn a commission on our own sale referrals, which we used to reduce our costs. Park for 10 percent instead of marketplace rate? Sure, but their intrusive parking page videos are the worst of the worst and actually make it harder to find the BIN link.

We built basic landers and just "REFRESH" to the sales page so buyers don't have to "Click"

But, hands down (in our experience) SEDO's checkout process has proven time and again to be the EASIEST for end user buyers to grasp. And once SEDO confirm possession of the name from us, payment is crazy fast and then THEY hold the client hand through the transfer. So good on them for that…

•••
I've sold and continue to sell a large number of names through Sedo. Most of my domain names are very well priced with fixed prices.

Sedo has excellent customer service, excellent brokers and one of the most intuitive transfer systems.

•••
I have more than 300 domain names listed there, including 4 letter dot com names for the last one year. So far ZERO SALES from there Marketplace. Now you can proudly say WHAT IS IN NAME?

•••
What about Flippa? That is already dead. 49$ upgrade for just 24 hours feature listing and at the end $1 selling price. That is a big joke.

•••
Good names get found, spend a couple of dollars on hosting per month and get your own wordpress landing page with contact details.

Yes! That is what I did. I created my own portfolio and redirected all my domains to it with separate landing pages for each. I sold few so far and receiving regular inquiries.

•••
I don't think it's dying at all. On the contrary, Sedo is growing and growing. I have many successful sales there, and it is also my preferable platform to purchase a name.

Their parking stats can be good indicators on how to move forward with your names ie drop, renew, auction off, or even move to another platform that may generate better revenue.

Their support has improved considerably over the years, to the point where a simple phone call rectifies any sort of issue.

Now, as far as the website itself is concerned, I agree it's very outdated. They need to do some serious revamping of the whole system. However, it's not in bad enough shape to turn me off of them. Yet.

•••
I dont know about that....I believe that Sedo is still the best place to sell domains.

Proof? Just go to http://research.domaintools.com/buy/sales-history/?q=.com

Sedo is still the reigning champ :-D in addition to Godaddy of course

Its just knowing what the investors want and which part to put the domain in on Sedo for sale.

•••
I've sold and continue to sell a large number of names through Sedo. Most of my domain names are very well priced with fixed prices.

Sedo has excellent customer service, excellent brokers and one of the most intuitive transfer systems.
Fixed pricing that is not over the top is what does it ........ it's when we all think each name is worth a fortune we slow right down

•••
I get inquiries but have had sales there. My best results still come from GD auctions.

•••
Made a few low x,xxx sales there over the years, most likely only because I forwarded all my domains there to the make offer/bin page after listing them. I assume they would have sold with any sales or contact us page at that point.

•••
Sedo has strong points such as bringing customers from Europe, fast and problem-free transfers.
Weak points are buyer transparency for sellers, high commission rates especially that minimum 60$ thing.
Interface is so-so, on mobile (ios) I can manage to use.
Parking said to be bad especially for non-USA traffic.

•••
. 49$ upgrade for just 24 hours feature listing and at the end $1 selling price. That is a big joke.

This is also the fault of the seller to pay for a listing upgrade on a name that really is only worth reg fee...or less, regardless how much exposure it gets. Not that Im defending certain marketplaces practices whatsoever.

•••
Good names get found, spend a couple of dollars on hosting per month and get your own wordpress landing page with contact details.

•••
# of Sold Domains at Sedo on Steady Decline Since 2010 (Down 38.7%)
I searched and found the number of sold domains for the first half of each year from 2010 up to 2016. (2015 and 2016 were done manually and have 26 weeks each but have 1-2 weeks added from a previous year to make it exactly at 26 weeks.)

Year# of Sold Domains
So the number of sold domains at Sedo is on a steady decline since 2010.

You'd think this trend would motivate Sedo to innovate. :-/

•••
Every time I wonder why Sedo is so crappy I remember they are owned by the same company that runs 1and1 :xf.rolleyes:

'Nuff said.

•••
+ Monetization/Parking at Sedo is awful.
One more reason for this down trend.

Last edited:
•••
Sedo as the platform for sale of domains becomes worse and worse every year, but unfortunately there is no Sedo's an alternative, in popularity.:'(

•••
Archaic platform stuck in the 2000s for sure.

•••
Agreed @Silentptnr sedo market is just a good source of parked income for sedo you will make more sales if you pay to list as auctions there but it's risky if you don't have some nice names. I think 90 percent of my sales have been through Godaddy. The fastest hand reg sales I have made were all through Godaddy some even as soon as 2 days after hand reg and that is impressive isn't it really.

•••
My experience
2000 names listed on sedo and Afternic , parked at DNS
Average a sale per month on Afternic and an enquiry for an expensive name that spdidnt sell but was very close
Zero sales on sedo and not a single offer!
That's for 6 months. An absolute waste of time proving ownership and pricing and listing and removing sold ones. Even if I sell a name per year it's a waste of time!
Sedo has no end users it's only domainers even a npbig piece of their sold mpnames are through auctions! No retail sales what a nightmare!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back