NameSilo

Sedo slowly dying!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Sedo domain name sales have been on a steady decline for 3-4 years now but as this is going there will be no Sedo left within a year or two. At least not like it used to be.
The Sedo website and system hasn’t been updated for years, commissions have been raised (probably to keep the profit up while overall sales plummet), and frankly I wonder what domainers are still selling domain names at Sedo. Probably only some old clients that haven’t heard of new services or don’t bother changing platforms and maybe some domainers that want to have their domains listed at every platform available.
So is Sedo slowly dying? Some will say it is already dead. It is still riding on its past good reputation. But that reputation has been tarnished...
Read More and More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They left no choice except to buy the upgrade. If you don't buy, there are only 40-50 visitors you get overall for auction.

Moreover, everyone is buying upgrades regardless of how worthless their domain names are! This makes it worst for those who want to sell good domain name.
No, the bottom line is that good domains sell! No upgrades needed..

•••
No, the bottom line is that good domains sell! No upgrades needed..

Just go to Domains -> Just Sold section and you will find what I am talking about. The classified listings are even sold better than auctions.

•••
Good names get found, spend a couple of dollars on hosting per month and get your own wordpress landing page with contact details.

•••
Good names get found, spend a couple of dollars on hosting per month and get your own wordpress landing page with contact details.

Yes! That is what I did. I created my own portfolio and redirected all my domains to it with separate landing pages for each. I sold few so far and receiving regular inquiries.

•••
Again, SEDO's site needs work, and they've recently eliminated the ability for sellers to earn a commission on our own sale referrals, which we used to reduce our costs. Park for 10 percent instead of marketplace rate? Sure, but their intrusive parking page videos are the worst of the worst and actually make it harder to find the BIN link.

We built basic landers and just "REFRESH" to the sales page so buyers don't have to "Click"

But, hands down (in our experience) SEDO's checkout process has proven time and again to be the EASIEST for end user buyers to grasp. And once SEDO confirm possession of the name from us, payment is crazy fast and then THEY hold the client hand through the transfer. So good on them for that…

•••
Sedo is not usefull anymore, I have listed a lot of good name there but I have received only one offer from LLLL.com / DOOI.com which It has been sold at $1500 at Godaddy after that.

Now I receive offer from Godaddy everyday but still ZERO from Sedo.

•••
I've sold and continue to sell a large number of names through Sedo. Most of my domain names are very well priced with fixed prices.

Sedo has excellent customer service, excellent brokers and one of the most intuitive transfer systems.

•••
I've sold and continue to sell a large number of names through Sedo. Most of my domain names are very well priced with fixed prices.

Sedo has excellent customer service, excellent brokers and one of the most intuitive transfer systems.
Fixed pricing that is not over the top is what does it ........ it's when we all think each name is worth a fortune we slow right down

•••
•••
Gave sedo a try and listed some .co, .ch names there. Probably around 100. Got one sale on days on .co for $800 bin. They need to improve on many fronts, but they do have end users, differing from flippa and normal functioning search differing from Afternic.

•••
I sold one domain on Sedo this year. BIN.

•••
Still like Sedo despite the lack of development in the recent years (their new design was like, well, let's do something but really nothing; it's still not modern UI design is my point).

What I like:

- when I visit Sedo parked pages, the for sale message is in my native language (Finnish). I suspect that to be the case in a lot of other languages as well. Not that business people don't understand what "for sale" means but it adds a cozy feeling IMO.

- It's still the platform that most of the startup community (not to mention marketing compartments of BIG corporations) know. Based on the people I've talked to, that is. I still think that those in the know often times search a domain from Sedo (not exclusively of course). There are a lot of listings in Sedo.

- Communication based on my experience has always been really good.

What I don't like:

- They just seem to be unable to handle the spam/bot traffic especially for new domains.

EDIT: And yes, my Sedo sales are in deep decline.

•••
I would have to say the search feature seems flawed ......... very frustrating

•••
From my experience, the Sedo marketplace does not generate sales. I've sold a decent number of domains at Sedo over the past 10 years but every one of them was parked at Sedo at the time of the sale. About 3 months back I switched to Bodis landing pages and sales are up about 300% during that short period of time.

I'm starting to test with Efty.com too in hopes I can raise it even higher.

I also had good luck forwarding domains to their Godaddy premium listings but I prefer to have the buyer make an opening offer and I also like to avoid paying commissions.

This is what happened to me as well.

•••
I use their escrow only (3% or min. $60).

You can just use their Escrow service? How? Could you provide link with information on their Escrow service please?

•••
•••
•••
I for one will be happy to see sedo leave the domain industry. From my experience a very unprofessional staff and dated platform.

•••
# of Sold Domains at Sedo on Steady Decline Since 2010 (Down 38.7%)
I searched and found the number of sold domains for the first half of each year from 2010 up to 2016. (2015 and 2016 were done manually and have 26 weeks each but have 1-2 weeks added from a previous year to make it exactly at 26 weeks.)

Year# of Sold Domains
So the number of sold domains at Sedo is on a steady decline since 2010.

You'd think this trend would motivate Sedo to innovate. :-/

•••
Every time I wonder why Sedo is so crappy I remember they are owned by the same company that runs 1and1 :xf.rolleyes:

'Nuff said.

•••
•••
•••
# of Sold Domains at Sedo on Steady Decline Since 2010 (Down 38.7%)

Year# of Sold Domains

You'd think this trend would motivate Sedo to innovate. :-/

The down trend is because of the minimum $50 fee. Before that commission was %10 and users can sell and flip at small amounts. They made that decision maybe because of additional workload of that small transactions. I think they are happy with that decline in the beginning.

•••
What I really miss at Sedo is a dedicated for sale landing page without any ads at all. My parking revenue is a joke anyway, but not sure if Sedo wants to give away their (probably very large) share by creating a page without ads.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back