NameSilo

opinion Sedo Negotiation tactics help/advice?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,
I recently received an offer for a domain name I own through sedo for $250.
I guess it would be hard for you to advice me without knowing the actual name
I personally invested in the name because I am also an artist and thought it be a great name for a photography portfolio/sale site, among other uses like apps, shopping etc..

Anyways, I countered with $3,500. and explained the name is 10 years old and it's potential uses.
They countered at $450 and asked for traffic stats. This kind of make me think it's a domainer.

I countered at $3,100. and further shared bluntly that I invested in the name for personal use (photography) so I don't track traffic. I am willing to sell but at the right price. Make your best offer.

They then threw out their trump card: counter $600 US and "This is my final offer" note.

Is this a bluff?
Not that I would give in because the name has a special value to me. And even If I drop my price drastically I wouldn't want to go under a 1k. The .org is an established website and i think the .info is taken too.

Anyway, I want you hear from you guys. I need some sound advice and direction????????
You guys always put things in perspective...thanks!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ultimately up to you, just a few things.

Putting the name here, opens it up to being available via search, if they happen to try.

It's impossible to know if it's a bluff. Sometimes it is their very last offer, sometimes it is in a fact just a bluff.

Usually at this point, if their offer is too low for you, I just throw out the "we're just too far apart on this one." In your case, I might lower it just a tad under your last offer with that line. If it is too low for you, you're telling them the truth about being too far apart. If they really want the domain, they're going to have to come to you sooner or later and might come with a better offer in the future.

You have to figure out what amount you're comfortable with letting it go at.

"This kind of make me think it's a domainer."

With that and since you mentioned it was thru Sedo. I always look at the
Information about the Buyer link. Look at the join date, the - Sedo community member since: 2014-10. That's one I got tonight, based on date, probably end user. A domainer will usually have an older sign up date. End users tend to have just signed up, new date. But after checking the domain, it goes thru Bodis, so probably a domainer.

Last edited:
•••

Putting the name here, opens it up to being available via search, if they happen to try.

It's impossible to know if it's a bluff. Sometimes it is their very last offer, sometimes it is in a fact just a bluff.

Usually at this point, if their offer is too low for you, I just throw out the "we're just too far apart on this one." In your case, I might lower it just a tad under your last offer with that line. If it is too low for you, you're telling them the truth about being too far apart. If they really want the domain, they're going to have to come to you sooner or later and might come with a better offer in the future.

Information about the Buyer link. Look at the join date, the - Sedo community member since: 2014-10. That's one I got tonight, based on date, probably end user. A domainer will usually have an older sign up date. End users tend to have just signed up, new date. But after checking the domain, it goes thru Bodis, so probably a domainer.

Thanks for the great advice.
I deleted the domain from my post. I did have reservations too but thought you might needed to see the name to better help. Also, the buyer has been a Sedo member since 2009-2010.

•••

Also, what's your advice on sending a domain to auction? In this case..

•••
Counter with $2800 and say this is your final offer, I had negotiations where the buyer claimed final offer 10 times.

•••

Assume nobody else bids, are you comfortable with $600 minus Sedo's fees? It's only something you can answer. It is a domainer, you're not going to get anywhere near that $3,100, at least from this one. Sometimes pushing it works, might get other bids, but could be the only bid.

•••
Dont this is not one of the names you do that with

What I have done a long time ago is counter with a note saying this is final and this domain is only available via buy now on sedo, I will let everyone who had an interest in this domain know about the discounted buy now price. Thanks

•••
Assume nobody else bids, are you comfortable with $600 minus Sedo's fees? It's only something you can answer. It is a domainer, you're not going to get anywhere near that $3,100, at least from this one. Sometimes pushing it works, might get other bids, but could be the only bid.
Do you think $2,800 is a good counter offer as suggested by AEProgram or just i go a little lower...along with a note..

•••
Do you think $2,800 is a good counter offer as suggested by AEProgram or just i go a little lower...along with a note..

There are way too many variables without knowing the domain, how many potential buyers there are, how much interest it has received in the past, etc.

One question needs to be answered - What are you willing to accept?

Are you willing to sell the domain for $600 or even close to that? If not there there is no harm in countering whatever as you are not really losing a potential sale.

If you are willing to sell the domain near that range and don't want to lose a potential sale, I would suggest a steeper discount on the counter offer, more like $1,500 because you can probably reach common ground from there.

Brad

•••
There are way too many variables without knowing the domain, how many potential buyers there are, how much interest it has received in the past, etc.

One question needs to be answered - What are you willing to accept?

Are you willing to sell the domain for $600 or even close to that? If not there there is no harm in countering whatever as you are not really losing a potential sale.

If you are willing to sell the domain near that range and don't want to lose a potential sale, I would suggest a steeper discount on the counter offer, more like $1,500 because you can probably reach common ground from there.

Brad

Good advice.

•••
Don't be hurry to sell your domains. Unless you desperately need some money, try to sell it at a price you feel comfortable with.
On the other hand, don't try to take things too far, domaining is also patience and, sometimes, wisdom.

Do you consider this domain important for you? Then sell it for decent offers, not for low ones. But always consider the real market, both end-users and reseller, think about what amount should be considered "decent" if the domain wasn't yours and don't go too far from that.

•••
Sell at a price that makes you happy.
You are not motivated to sell because you are emotionally attached to the name. On the other hand, if you haven't started using it yet, you don't face the hassle of migrating to another domain.
I personally think you should stand your ground if you don't need the money badly.
At the same time keep in mind that the first offer received is often the last.

•••
The traffic stats question usually equals a domainer as I've never had an end user ask for them in 11 years. The domain name is 10 years old so you have at least $80+ in renewal fees into it.

Bottom line you need to determine a value range on all of your domains either to an end user or a domainer depending on what market you sell to. One reason I prefer to avoid anonymous negotiation markets as you lose valuable info on who the buyer is which helps in negotiations and to determine if they are bluffing name, email, ip address, phone etc... which can tell ya if ya have a domainer, small business, major business on the line.

Best you can do at Sedo is look and see how long they have been a Sedo member. If a new member could be an end user. If an ancient account more than likely a domainer. Sedo also tells buyers in their FAQ not to offer their highest price.

On the few anonymous deals I've done I've already determined my end user value and I stick to my end user range as I only sell to end users, if it doesn't pan out then I'm financially okay with that as I'm not looking to sell to domainers and can afford to blow low end deals until an end user deal in my range presents itself as I have quite a few websites that bring me revenue each month. So without knowing who the buyer is the cards aren't in your favor so the best you can do is shoot a price that you think it's worth, stick to your guns if you're financially able to. If you need the dough or will kick yourself if the $600 goes away or ya blow the deal then be more flexible.

So without knowing the domain, who the buyer is and your financial status hard to tell ya how to play it.

•••
BLUF ............ Hold. $600 is a bluff. $800 seems easy.

Pretty good advice across the thread ... as many have asked, do you need the money?

If yes, you may want to take $600 and not look back.

If I was you, I would hold easy to high $xxx, If I was not attached to the name :) ..... If I was attached to the name, I would really hold to least 50% of my initial estimate.

Actually I would not even reply to the 'final offer'.

A Tip, you may not want to post exact $ amount. If I wanted to check if the seller is discussing the domain on namepros, I would search for $ amount like $600 and $2800, Suggest you increase or decrease the amounts by $50 or $100, to avoid them coming up in search.

See how this search brings up this very thread. visit http://no_url_shorteners/1yCx5Ci , then narrow search to 1 day or 1 week
Image link : http://imgur.com/pNd6Pxp

pNd6Pxp

Good luck with the sale. <thumbsup>

Last edited:
•••
Tell your final price to them making them remind that this is your last offer.

If they accept thats well and good if not just ignore and Go ahead with right buyer!!

•••
Here is my experience:

I once sold a 4 letter pronounceable domain name for just over 1K. As it turns out, after I had sold the domain name to him, he said something like:

"LMFAO. I was looking at another domain name and they wanted 8K."

There are a lot of liars out there who like to low ball offers. I'm personally dead broke, and I buy domain names for the prices that they are listed for, or only slightly lower.

•••
There are a lot of liars out there who like to low ball offers. I'm personally dead broke, and I buy domain names for the prices that they are listed for, or only slightly lower.

Likewise. I always look for deals or try to get a reasonable price, but If it is a name that I really want I spend the little i have to get it or try.. Some of my best names, I made a sacrifice to acquire them..sometimes literally spending my last dollar. I have no regrets for those names because I believe in them, they are worth it to me and I have even received offers for them that were much more than my initial investment.

•••
Likewise. I always look for deals or try to get a reasonable price, but If it is a name that I really want I spend the little i have to get it or try.. Some of my best names, I made a sacrifice to acquire them..sometimes literally spending my last dollar. I have no regrets for those names because I believe in them, they are worth it to me and I have even received offers for them that were much more than my initial investment.

That should be the spirit and sign of long term investment!!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back