Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sedo

VIP Member
Sedo.com Staff
Impact
Hi All! :hi:

By request, we've decided to start a thread dedicated to Sedo. We're looking for invaluable insight into what domainers want and need out of our parking program (and marketplace, of course).

Questions, comments, suggestions, tips are welcome! We're hoping this will be a great discussion about what works at Sedo and what might not (please be constructive and respectful to others in your feedback) so that everyone involved can benefit and learn from it.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas! Happy Holidays!

Always,
Keith
(on behalf of Sedo)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sedo said:
For a sale of $100, the commission depends on the situation:

If the domain is not parked, and is one of the TLDs listed above, the fee will be $50, leaving you with a profit of $50.

If the domain is not parked and is not one of the TLDs listed above, the fee will be either $100 or $150. In these cases, you would not be able to sell a domain for $100.

If the domain is parked, and is one of the TLDs above, you would be charged a flat 10%, which is in this case $10; this leaves you with a profit of $90.

I thought that the minimum fee for names not parked with Sedo no longer existed. Can I ask, if we have a name listed for sale and get an offer. Can we avoid the $50 fee by moving the DNS to Sedo before the transaction is complete? When can this be done to avoid paying the fee? Can it be anytime before the name is transfered, anytime before the auction ends, or anytime while negotiations are still taking place? Or is it not possible to avoid the large fee if we get an offer while the nameservers are pointed elsewhere?

Thanks

•••
Hi Sleepys,

The minimum commission fees are still in place, and are determined based on the restrictions that apply to transfers of a particular TLD. We generally require that the domain be parked at least a month prior to the sales agreement, as we don't want people simply temporarily switching the DNS to Sedo's for the sole purpose of avoiding the commission.

Always,
Keith

Sleepys said:
I thought that the minimum fee for names not parked with Sedo no longer existed. Can I ask, if we have a name listed for sale and get an offer. Can we avoid the $50 fee by moving the DNS to Sedo before the transaction is complete? When can this be done to avoid paying the fee? Can it be anytime before the name is transfered, anytime before the auction ends, or anytime while negotiations are still taking place? Or is it not possible to avoid the large fee if we get an offer while the nameservers are pointed elsewhere?

Thanks

•••
Keith,

I have a domain in auction, Tucz.com, that is set to end today.

The auction was originally set to end around 3 pm but now the auction shows it is set to end at 11 pm. Is there a reason an auction end time would be pushed back?

Thanks

•••
•••
Hi Keith-
Several questions:

Along with the poster on the previous page my parking income is also way down, down about 50% since the /bot changeover. I have mostly LLLL.coms, if that matters. If "bots do not click" then something else was changed at the same time. Obviously this does not make me happy.

I just got an offer of $160 on a .VC name (parked at Sedo, although I know that does not matter.) After the commission I would have gotten $10. Is there anything telling the buyer this? Seems so ridiculous.

Would it be possible to set a script to periodically go through the "not verified" names? I have eleven domains that have been sitting up there for a week or (much) more - FINERY(dot)INFO has been there since Dec 17! Every single one of them resolves to Sedo parking, and has since they were entered, many of them have "this domain is for sale, click here" on the parking page, but they are not in my stats, I get nothing for their clicks, and I bet they are not in the sales catalog.

•••
•••
On SEDO the status - it is UNPAID. However PayPal considers - that all is paid...

Would like to ask as long enlist payments from PayPal? To support SEDO has written but the answer is not present.

•••
Keith,

After Sedo having had:

.nl
.nu
.mobi
.co.uk

...special auction events, are there any plans for having a .eu auction event?

•••
Hi Keith,

Thank you for your earlier answer.

But I have a question how long a domain should be parked at Sedo because I have got to know that it should be at least 3 months, and now I am not sure. Excpecially it is important for domains selling with a price under $100.
Maybe this rule can be found somewhere on Sedo website ?

Sedo said:
The minimum commission fees are still in place, and are determined based on the restrictions that apply to transfers of a particular TLD. We generally require that the domain be parked at least a month prior to the sales agreement, as we don't want people simply temporarily switching the DNS to Sedo's for the sole purpose of avoiding the commission.

Always,
Keith

Second
And maybe you know from your practice if it is possible to offer a domain to sell on Sedo and Buydomains (and also other auctions) at the same time ? Or there are any Sedo or Buydomains rules that it is not possible to use them at the same time ? And what does it depend from ?

And one more
I have read these informations:
Price
https://www.sedo.co.uk/services/s_priceoption3.php3?tracked=&partnerid=&language=e
Minimum offer
https://www.sedo.co.uk/services/s_priceoption.php3?tracked=&partnerid=&language=e

And I have few questions refering to these informations:

Minimum offer
What is the minimum buyer offer allowed by the Sedo sytem. Is it $60 ?
If I have not set my minimum offer, will I get all buyers offers (allowed by Sedo system).

Price opened to negotiation
If I set a price opened to negotiation (not fixed price) will I get all buyers offers ?

Fixed price
When I set my fixed price, will I get only offers which exactly match my specified fixed price ? or will I get all buyers offers (allowed by Sedo system) ?
And I will be obliged to sell at a fixed price. So If I set my fixed price, an auction will not be possible in general ?

Auction
When can I start an auction ?
What am I obliged to do or accept during an auction ?

If I set a price opened to negotiation (not a fixed price): will I have to sell my domain when a buyer auction bid reach my setting price.
Which offer or auction bid am I obliged to accept ?

Is it enough to use a telephone (or is it necessary a credit card) if I want to register as a buyer ?

Last edited:
•••
Hi, i want to ask a question about sedo parking.
There are few languages (English, other) in "Edit related links" page.

If i configure related links in "other", do the related links in "English" automatically modified too? Or do i have to modify each related links set?

•••
Hey, so I signed up at sedo because I wanted to try and bid on a domain name I wanted. It said that I needed to verify my account with a credit card in order for me to place a bid and that I would not be charged anything.

After I verified my card I tried to bid on the item, but turns out the minimum bid was way more than I was willing to spend on it.

That was yesterday, today I log onto my banking account and I find a $7.38 from WWW.SEDO.DE on my account. What is this? And what do I have to do to get it removed. I never agreed to pay any money to verify my account, and the form said I would not be charged.

I can't find a support phone number anywhere on their site. Anyone know who I would need to contact about this and how?

•••
Alexgriffin said:
Would like to ask as long enlist payments from PayPal? To support SEDO has written but the answer is not present.

Hi Alexgriffin,

All PayPal payments made to Sedo must be manually verified by our finance department. An "unpaid" invoice does not necessarily mean that your payment was not successfully transmitted. However, it does indicate that the finance department has not yet checked the PayPal account and marked the invoice accordingly.

This process is completed regularly each day, so we ask for your patience for this and any future PayPal payments. If the payment is made on or right before a weekend, please allow for a couple extra days to process the payment.

Damion said:
Keith,

After Sedo having had:

.nl
.nu
.mobi
.co.uk

...special auction events, are there any plans for having a .eu auction event?

Hi Damion,

To be honest, I haven't heard anything about it. But, it's always a possibility. This type of auction, though, has typically been in conjunction with a registrar for certain domain names. What you may want to do is apply for the monthly Premium Auction events anyway.

xrvel said:
Hi, i want to ask a question about sedo parking.
There are few languages (English, other) in "Edit related links" page.

If i configure related links in "other", do the related links in "English" automatically modified too? Or do i have to modify each related links set?

Hi xrvel,

The related links for each language have to be updated separately. You should look at the where most of your visitors are coming from and focus on the languages spoken in those regions.

Andro said:
Hi Keith,

Thank you for your earlier answer.

But I have a question how long a domain should be parked at Sedo because I have got to know that it should be at least 3 months, and now I am not sure. Excpecially it is important for domains selling with a price under $100.
Maybe this rule can be found somewhere on Sedo website ?

Second
And maybe you know from your practice if it is possible to offer a domain to sell on Sedo and Buydomains (and also other auctions) at the same time ? Or there are any Sedo or Buydomains rules that it is not possible to use them at the same time ? And what does it depend from ?

And one more
I have read these informations:
Price
https://www.sedo.co.uk/services/s_priceoption3.php3?tracked=&partnerid=&language=e
Minimum offer
https://www.sedo.co.uk/services/s_priceoption.php3?tracked=&partnerid=&language=e

And I have few questions refering to these informations:

Minimum offer
What is the minimum buyer offer allowed by the Sedo sytem. Is it $60 ?
If I have not set my minimum offer, will I get all buyers offers (allowed by Sedo system).

Price opened to negotiation
If I set a price opened to negotiation (not fixed price) will I get all buyers offers ?

Fixed price
When I set my fixed price, will I get only offers which exactly match my specified fixed price ? or will I get all buyers offers (allowed by Sedo system) ?
And I will be obliged to sell at a fixed price. So If I set my fixed price, an auction will not be possible in general ?

Auction
When can I start an auction ?
What am I obliged to do or accept during an auction ?

If I set a price opened to negotiation (not a fixed price): will I have to sell my domain when a buyer auction bid reach my setting price.
Which offer or auction bid am I obliged to accept ?

Is it enough to use a telephone (or is it necessary a credit card) if I want to register as a buyer ?

Hi Andro,

I don’t believe it’s explicitly stated on our website, but internally, we look for whether or not domains have been parked for at least 32 days. Sometimes the system won’t recognize them as parked if they haven’t received traffic. In those cases, if you believe your commission fee is incorrect, you can speak with your assigned transfer agent.

You can list domains for sale anywhere on the internet as well as on Sedo. However, keep in mind the following:

*If the domain is subject to a live auction or transaction through Sedo, you may not list it for sale elsewhere.
*If the domain is subject to a live auction or transaction elsewhere, you may not list it for sale through Sedo.

Essentially, you have to honor any contractual obligations you are bound to. Feel free to review Sedo’s policies here: http://www.sedo.com/about/policy.php?tracked=&partnerid=25303&language=us

The marketplace minimum for offers is $60, and if you have not established another minimum offer through your account and have set your domain to “make offer,” you will receive and be notified of all offers. However, the buyer should be prompted to place a higher offer if the amount does not cover the applicable commission fees.

You are not obligated to accept any offers you receive through the marketplace so long as you have not listed your domain with a fixed price. You will instead have the option to negotiate through private bid threads.

If you set a fixed price, interested buyers will be presented with a “buy now” option. They will only be allowed to make an offer that matches your fixed price, and you will be obligated to sell the domain to the first buyer who does so.

You can either apply for a Premium Auction event through Domain management, or you can start an auction with any offer you receive. In the case of the latter, the offer you receive and use to start the auction will be your reserve price. In these cases, you will be obligated to sell the domain to the highest bidder. If no higher bids are received, then the domain will be sold to the original buyer.

For Premium Auctions, you can suggest a reserve. If the reserve is met, you will have to sell the domain to the highest bidder.

Lastly, if you are interested in placing offers on domains, you can certify your account using either SMS text messaging or a credit card. Another option would be to sign and return the Buyer Certification Form. You can view your options in the Buyer Certification section of your account.

I hope that helps to answer your questions.

Take care all!

Always,
Keith

•••
I look from time to time what is going on in this thread, and by now I am firmly convinced that it is wrongly placed into the Forum:

"Parking & Traffic Monetization :: Discussion about domain parking and other methods of earning income from domain traffic."

Perhaps NamePros should open additional Forum on Domain Aftermarket!

Just a suggestion!

•••
Sedo said:
Hi Damion,

To be honest, I haven't heard anything about it. But, it's always a possibility. This type of auction, though, has typically been in conjunction with a registrar for certain domain names. What you may want to do is apply for the monthly Premium Auction events anyway.

Hi Keith,

Yeah, i know - i just thought a themed auction would be nice as a additional promotion vehicle.

Applied for the Premium Auction as you suggested.

Thanks!

•••
Keith,

Your answers help really much, thank you for them. But I need some more explanation about auctions.

I have my Sedo username. If I want to sign as a buyer, do I have to use this username, or could I create a new account with a new username for buying domains ?
I have not understood that I have a choice: to certify my account (by sms or a credit card) or to sign and return the Buyer Certification Form. What is the different between these options for me ?

If I set a price "make offer" what is the aim of this price. How can this price be compared to a reserve price and a buyer offer.

If my price "make offer" is $200 and I get a buyer offer $80 what could next steps be (which possibilities do I have) ? What would my reserve price be at this case ? And which price will I be obligated to accept ?

How much time could an auction take ?

When an auction start, will I always have to sell my domain then, or will I have any option to not accept an offer. Some auctions are with "reserve met", but some are not. What does it deppend from ?

Is it possibility to search domains for "fixed price" or "make offer price" ?

What is the different between a normal auction and a Premium Auction ?
What should I exactly do to apply for a Premium Auction ? When can I do this ? What are the criteria for domains which could be offered to a Premium Auction ? A price, traffic, others ? How does it go at the practice. How many percentage of such applications do you accept (1 on 10?) ?

Can domains offering on sedo.com be found on sedo.co.uk and sedo.de ? If I have also uk domains what is the best way to offer them ?

Where can I find historical informations about sale prices on Sedo ?

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Sedo said:
Hi xrvel,

The related links for each language have to be updated separately. You should look at the where most of your visitors are coming from and focus on the languages spoken in those regions.
Hi, Keith.

Thanks for the information :)

Kurniawan.

Edit : Problem solved

Last edited:
•••
Hi Keith,

PM sent. Thanks for your help!

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
•••
I can answer a lot of your questions for you Andro.

Andro said:
I have my Sedo username. If I want to sign as a buyer, do I have to use this username, or could I create a new account with a new username for buying domains ?
You have one Sedo user name and password, that is the same for all sections of Sedo.
Andro said:
Keith,
If my price "make offer" is $200 and I get a buyer offer $80 what could next steps be (which possibilities do I have) ? What would my reserve price be at this case ? And which price will I be obligated to accept ?

How much time could an auction take ?
Once you get an offer for a name, you have 3 options. First option is to accept their bid. The second option is to send the name to a Sedo auction, with the offer as the opening bid (so it is guaranteed to sell). The third option is to just reject the offer or ignore it. You have 7 days to make your choice before their offer expires. If you are choosing to send it auction, you should decide quickly, because the auction will begin 7 days after the offer was made. This means if you put a domain on auction 5 days after the offer, it will only be on auction for 2 days. If you choose to counter offer, the bidder has 7 days to either accept your bid, make another counter offer or simply reject your higher bid.
Andro said:
When an auction start, will I always have to sell my domain then, or will I have any option to not accept an offer. Some auctions are with "reserve met", but some are not. What does it deppend from ?
Once you start an auction on regular Sedo with a bid, you must sell it to the highest bidder. Some names are submitted to Sedo and approved selectivley to go to auction without a reserve. Some people choose to set a reserve on these names.
Andro said:
Can domains offering on sedo.com be found on sedo.co.uk and sedo.de ? If I have also uk domains what is the best way to offer them ?
These sites are all the same, just for different specific countries.
Andro said:
Where can I find historical informations about sale prices on Sedo ?
Try Here:http://www.namebio.com/ and Here:http://www.dnsaleprice.com/

Wow, that was long. :zzz:

Please correct me if I am wrong on any of these Keith.

Last edited:
•••
After an auction has ended, the buyer is supposed to be within 10 working days right?
What happens if they haven't paid within this time?
Does Sedo do something about it?

•••
Keith, when you answer for my last questions, please also explain how negotiation exactly go. How is it that there are many bids for one bidder and they go still high, in this way if I want a higer bid and I don't get it I will not have to sell it. So I dont understand that when an auction starts, a domain will have to be sold. And expecially about a reserve price and others prices, how I have asked before.

•••
Keith, I have just one question. What does it take to get beyond the standard 2-3 cent clicks at Sedo? I have a few domains at Sedo and have tried every possible relevant keyword for my domain and yet never gone past the 5 cent mark. As a result, I make sure that all my good domains stay clear of Sedo and have only retained some domains at Sedo which have traffic from Eastern Europe. Honestly, I don't like doing it, but you have to shed light on the pathetic RPC being dished out to domainers.

I can really not believe Google paying Sedo such low rates for the keywords I have tried out. Why? Because my friend has a few of his campaigns show up on Sedo and he mentions paying Google well above 25 cents for each click. Now how that ends up as 3 cents to the domainer is a mystery. Its either Google keeping a bigger cut or Sedo doing the same.

My bottom line is, it doesn't matter that you add fancy new features like country specific keyword targeting etc, unless you can pay better rates to your domainers. Honestly, whats the point of adding keywords to each country, when all you still end up getting is 2 cents?

Your comments would be highly appreciated. Please do excuse my frustration, but as you understand, I have put in around 300-400 hrs researching the Sedo system and trying out various optimizing techniques to no avail.

•••
Hi Keith,

Why sedo do this to me again and again?

For domain fans-inc.com
<iframe width="1" height="1" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" hspace="0" vspace="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" src="http://pbid.pro-market.net/engine?site=108356+size=1x1+kw=fans inc"></iframe>

01/04/08 First parking date!!!
$0.36 Revenue
01/05/08
$0.29 Revenue
01/06/08
$4.78 Revenue
01/07/08
$3.33 Revenue
01/08/08
$2.21 Revenue
01/09/08
$5.16 Revenue
01/10/08
$2.19 Revenue
01/11/08
$3.56 Revenue
01/12/08
$2.69 Revenue
01/13/08
$1.87 Revenue
01/14/08
$2.64 Revenue
01/15/08 --Add that Fxxxing codes to kill this...
$0.00 Revenue
01/16/08
$0.00 Revenue
01/17/08
$0.06 Revenue
01/18/08
$0.00 Revenue
last 32 days
7,768 Views collectively
243 Views per day on the average
$0.91 Revenue per day on the average
$29.13 Revenue collectively

Is this how sedo treat for their loyalty client?

Thanks for looking!

Bill

•••
seeker said:
After an auction has ended, the buyer is supposed to be within 10 working days right?
What happens if they haven't paid within this time?
Does Sedo do something about it?

Hi seeker,

Ten days is the standard time frame, although it varies based on the transaction, and also is at the discretion of the seller and the transfer agent. In all cases, the buyer is supposed to remit the payment within five days of the agreement. Essentially, this means the buyer should - by that time - either have notified Sedo that the funds are on the way, or given a satisfactory explanation of the delay.

Your best option is to speak with your transfer agent about your options and any actions that may be taken in regards to the buyer.

Andro said:
Keith, when you answer for my last questions, please also explain how negotiation exactly go. How is it that there are many bids for one bidder and they go still high, in this way if I want a higer bid and I don't get it I will not have to sell it. So I dont understand that when an auction starts, a domain will have to be sold. And expecially about a reserve price and others prices, how I have asked before.

A seller may entertain offers from multiple buyers through the standard marketplace. Each offer starts a private negotiation thread. Once either party in any private thread accepts an offer or counter-offer they have received, all other bid threads are cancelled, and a transaction is started.

A domain price listing can be looked at as an invitation to make offers, without an associated obligation to sell at any price.

In the case of auctions, a seller may receive offers from multiple buyers, but because it is a public auction, it has a predetermined reserve, has a limited timeframe, and the seller is bound to sell the domain if the reserve has been met.

A reserve is a starting point, but indicates the price threshold at which a domain will be sold. A reserve is an agreement to sell the domain for that price (at the minimum) or the highest offer price.

If you are not sure you wish to sell the domain at that time, you may want to avoid starting auctions with offers you receive. Using the negotiation process will allow you much more freedom in your options, but may not stimulate as much bidding activity.

Varon said:
Keith, I have just one question. What does it take to get beyond the standard 2-3 cent clicks at Sedo? I have a few domains at Sedo and have tried every possible relevant keyword for my domain and yet never gone past the 5 cent mark. As a result, I make sure that all my good domains stay clear of Sedo and have only retained some domains at Sedo which have traffic from Eastern Europe. Honestly, I don't like doing it, but you have to shed light on the pathetic RPC being dished out to domainers.

I can really not believe Google paying Sedo such low rates for the keywords I have tried out. Why? Because my friend has a few of his campaigns show up on Sedo and he mentions paying Google well above 25 cents for each click. Now how that ends up as 3 cents to the domainer is a mystery. Its either Google keeping a bigger cut or Sedo doing the same.

My bottom line is, it doesn't matter that you add fancy new features like country specific keyword targeting etc, unless you can pay better rates to your domainers. Honestly, whats the point of adding keywords to each country, when all you still end up getting is 2 cents?

Your comments would be highly appreciated. Please do excuse my frustration, but as you understand, I have put in around 300-400 hrs researching the Sedo system and trying out various optimizing techniques to no avail.

Hi Varon,

I am certainly not an optimization expert. I'm certainly available for feedback and support in optimization and making the most of the parking program, but if you are having difficulty with it, you may want to consider applying for SedoPro (unless you already are a SedoPro member; in that case, you should get in touch with your account rep).

There are a few helpful resources I can send your way, though:

The first is Sedo's guide to choosing keywords for domains. This can be found via the following link:

http://www.sedo.com/member/ChoosingKeywords.pdf

The second, although intended for SedoPro clients, is also helpful for understanding how to make the most out of the domains you have parked and traffic you receive. Please check that out with the link below:

http://www.sedopro.com/ProManual.pdf

You can also send me a PM with your account info, and I can take a look to see if there are any larger issues that may be causing a problem.

Take care all!

Always,
Keith

Hi Everyone,

As a quick note, we've been informed that dotMobi has decided to postpone the re-scheduled third Premium .MOBI Auction (it was supposed to start on January 23, 2008). I don't have much more information than that so I won't have answers to many questions that may arise, but I will certainly let you know as I'm able.

On a brighter note, though:

Sedo’s first GreatDomains auction of 2008 kicked off this Thursday, January 17, and features highly sought after domains such as flats.com, Indian.com, latest.com, test.net and other one-word premium domains. This will be Sedo’s first GreatDomains auction since December’s record-shattering auction that featured 308 bidders from 42 different countries who bid on domains like via.com, which closed at $157,500, and click.net, which closed at $56,000. The total dollar amount of the auction neared the $1.7 million mark thanks in part to other domains such as chica.com ($41,000) and fattuesday.com ($16,500).

Thursday’s auction will run for a week, ending on January 24. For a complete list of available domains, please visit: http://greatdomains.com/search/searchresult.php4?auctionevent=Greatdomains

Be sure to check it out if you're interested!

Always,
Keith

•••
Thanks Keith. I would like to move a few hundred domains to Sedo if this works out. Appreciate your help.

•••
Sedo, it currently says this on my sedo page:
"We are currently verifying the following domains:
fgclips.com"

It had said this earlier this week and I thought that it was fine since you're supposed to verify every 2 days. Then I went to my e-mail and there was an e-mail saying, "Reminder: Please confirm your new Sedo account!" After clicking on the link, it said I could now use all aspects of the site. I thought it was just activating my account, but when I went back to the domain management page, sure enough, my domain had been verified (could've been a coincident, I don't know). Anyhow, I changed by lay-out, and added put in a keyword for it. To which is said it would be a few days until the keyword would be approved. That's fine. But then the next day (or it could've been a few hours later, I don't recall) it says the old message I got that my website still needs to be verified. Why is it doing this?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back