Dynadot
NameSilo
Watch

Sedo

VIP Member
Sedo.com Staff
Impact
Hi All! :hi:

By request, we've decided to start a thread dedicated to Sedo. We're looking for invaluable insight into what domainers want and need out of our parking program (and marketplace, of course).

Questions, comments, suggestions, tips are welcome! We're hoping this will be a great discussion about what works at Sedo and what might not (please be constructive and respectful to others in your feedback) so that everyone involved can benefit and learn from it.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas! Happy Holidays!

Always,
Keith
(on behalf of Sedo)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If the plan was to further decrease your market share, this is actually perfect.

•••
omg. first sedo changed the account/payout config. then it changed search. and now this - "we can no longer send payments in another currency". Does Sedo realize that bankwire details for different currencies may be different, including account numbers? So, if the seller is pricing different domains in different currencies (such as pricing only EU-related domains in Euros, .uk in GBP, others in USD etc) - then Sedo must now provide an opportunity to save different bankwire profiles? To the contrary, only one bankwire profile can be saved!
@Sedo

•••
After each bulk update, a few domain names get stuck in the verification phase for days and you only fix the situation when I report it to support.

The automatic answer you give is always the same; "may take 24-48 to be approved"

However, although TXT records are active, there are domain names waiting for approval for more than 5 days.

Last edited:
•••
I think that they are going to need to apply the brakes on this round of offenders, Brad. I've received two so far and both had the string "associates" in the name. I ass-ume that they are targeting a particular string there because I can't see anything else in the two names that would set off such a smart AI tool.
It would certainly help to have a real person manually review the domains that are being flagged by their AI system.

Any real person could see this is a legitimate domain.

I know everyone is tripping over themselves to launch "AI" systems, but this system is clearly not ready.

Brad

•••
AI: Jewel is offensive word.
meanwhile: get this name for 4,969 USD!

ant.JPG

•••
Thank you for the suggestion.
Unfortunately, I have not received the ref number from my transfer agent. I would appreciate if you could advise on any alternative methods to request and obtain this reference number.

imgur.com/h6xfVKh

Thank you for the suggestion.
Unfortunately, I have not received the ref number from my transfer agent. I would appreciate if you could advise on any alternative methods to request and obtain this reference number.

imgur.com/h6xfVKh
Hey,

We just wanted to let you know that we have sended you a private message on NamesPros. Please check it out!

Best regards,
Your Sedo Team

•••
•••
Sedo does not like jaguars it seems :(

See http://www.sedoparking.com/jaguar.pro (old-fashioned forwarding, which still works but shows 2tier ads) - it is 403 Forbidden error! Only for the domain in question...

Last edited:
•••
•••
we've send you a PN
Hi

it would be cool if you could answer some of these question publicly, as they could apply to everyone using certain nameservers.

btw: the green auction list sucks!
next time include domains with the words "green"

thanks

imo...

•••
Do you have a double-check in your system for Sedo system, prior to the buyer being able to actually pay for the domain? If not, would this be especially helpful?

Having BIN pricing on multiple platforms may increase the likelihood of a sale. This could be done with confidence using your marketplace and others, if Sedo does an immediate check with the registrar for the domain availability, prior to allowing the buyer to proceed with placing an order. That way, under the unlikely case that a sale has happened elsewhere shortly prior, duplicate sales can be avoided.

Does Sedo have this double check? Verifying the domain is still immediately available prior to sale? Or, if not, is this in the works? What about the Sedo MLS partners? Do they have this implemented as well?

Note that I will ask the question for Afternic as well on this forum, as there appears to be some confusion about the ability to have BIN on multiple marketplaces at the same time.
Hello,

Once you list domains for sale at Sedo, they need to be verified before they can be offered for sale. Only after the ownership has been verified, the domain can be listed for sale.

After that, sellers are responsible for keeping their portfolio up to date and accurate.

In case a seller wants to list domains on multiple platforms, it is even more important for them to have an updated portfolio and to remove domains which have been sold on other platforms.

In case you have a particularly large portfolio, our new bulk uploader is a useful feature for sellers: it makes it easy to organize and keep your portfolio up to date. You can find out more about the bulk uploader tool here: https://sedo.com/us/about-us/news-press/newsroom/sedo-releases-new-bulk-domain-uploader/

If keeping track of sold domains isn't possible at all, sellers should not list their domains as BIN on every platform, to avoid multiple purchase requests on various platforms. Using only one platform for BIN domains, and using Make Offer for others could be one option.

If the domain is listed as BIN, the seller is obligated to sell the domain to the first buyer who agrees to purchase the domain for the listed sales price. If it is listed as Make Offer, the seller has to accept the offer first, which offers some flexibility. This gives you the time to remove the domain and avoid an unwanted sale.

We do not double check with a seller if a domain still belongs to them prior to a payment. But we do have security checks and, of course, we do not pay out any seller prior to the domain changing ownership.

Kind regards
Your Sedo Team

Last edited:
•••
Dear all,

Since Monday some of you have seen a new beta version of our domain search that is tailored to end users who do not purchase domains on a regular basis.
First of all, thank you very much for your valuable feedback. Be sure we listen to it.

What happened?
This beta version of the domain search was planned to only be visible for a specific target group. Unfortunately it got rolled out to a larger audience.
For now we have brought the "old" search back for all users.

Please know that we value your feedback and listen to it - even if we don't respond to everything individually.

•••
Your AI detection system is not very good. If it picks up something, before suspending a domain, let an actual human verify first

•••
I just received the following email from SEDO.

What is the offensive word? Is it "Las Vegas" or "Jewelry". :facepalm:

AI really is the future...

Show attachment 253462
I think that they are going to need to apply the brakes on this round of offenders, Brad. I've received two so far and both had the string "associates" in the name. I ass-ume that they are targeting a particular string there because I can't see anything else in the two names that would set off such a smart AI tool.

•••
Last edited:
•••
At a time when GoDaddy could seriously use some good, healthy competition, it's nice to Sedo doing this on the cutting edge of AI.

•••
•••
Has anyone been in the position where a potential buyer paid Sedo to broker the deal?

I had this one guy showing a real interest in one my domains, my price was 12K firm, his offer was first $1000 and went as high as $3500, I kindly refused and thanked him for his interest.. then came a Sedo broker asking about the same domain, he asked for a price, I replied with14K (to cover the commission) broker responds in a second email asking me to justify the price, (are you kidding me?) I replied that I didn't feel I needed too and the price was non negotiable, never heard back from him..

Then I get a email from the original buyer and he's all pissed off, asking me why the price increased, and I told him.. He said he paid for a Sedo broker because he was getting nowhere with me on the price, said he was a serious buyer, I then told him this isn't "Priceline" where you can name your own price, that was the last I heard from him... It was that good of a domain that I really didn't care if I sold or not.

•••

After receiving the dreaded lowball offer on a premium domain that arrived via Sedo's partnership with GoDaddy, I asked Sedo to remove my domains from that program.

This was their answer:

I'm afraid you can't opt out of SedoMLS, however if you set your domains to Fixed Price, you'd save yourself all the lowball offers.

If you have any further questions or comments, please log into your Sedo account then visit our Customer Support Center at http://support.sedo.com.

Best regards,

Your Sedo Customer Care Team

My answer:

Then I'm afraid I must refuse any offer that comes with a 20% commission attached to it.

Then I removed all my BIN prices because I don't want a BIN coming via Go Daddy that will cost me 20% commission.

If I receive too many lowball offers, I'll just remove my domains from Sedo.

Most of my offers come via my own platform anyway.

Just passing this along as an FYI.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

For some reason, some of my minimums were not set, so I set them with the hope that ridiculous lowball offers don't even get through to me.

•••
I ma really surprise to see that from 440 domains selected for Great Domain auction, only 30 or even less names have received bids since the auction started, why so ??

because most names selected for "great domains auction" are not great domains.

and because SEDO is becoming a joke:

their requirements for "great domains auction" are :

Auction Criteria
Domains may be approved for GreatDomains Auction Events if they:

are short, easy-to-remember, real words or phrases found in the dictionary and/or everyday conversation
are generic, with appeal to a broad audience (car.com, creditcard.com or books.com)
are easy to spell and not prone to typographical errors when typed into a browser’s address bar
are product-related with a high commercial value (e.g. loans.com or stocks.com)
are geographically appropriate (an English .com might be approved whereas an English .de domain would not)
are not in potential violation of any third party rights, such as trademarks, intellectual property, or other famous names
are comprised of words or phrases with high search result return counts
have high CPC/Advertising bids in relation to search terms

And now look at all the names such as v170.com , p104.com, 509a.com, etc...

ok so i will register names like v142.com or 534a.com, etc. (available right now) and submit to "great domains auction"

Last edited:
•••
@Bearded Goat - At the time of my post the nnnnn.org domain was unregistered but listed in the auction. Since then someone registered the domain. Good luck to the new registrant adding the name to his auction account and having someone bid and pay at least 100 euros. I'd rather slide down a barbed wire banister into a bucket of chlorine. Regarding auction name selection and privileges, the house owns the ball, writes the rules and decides who can play, forum gripes notwithstanding. I'll take a whois inquiry out of the blue over a famous auction listing any day.

•••
sedo turning to crap....
now im virtually asked to verify and send pics for all new domains i add...

thats not at all what they promised..they said itd just take couple days to verify....
that promise related specifically to those who do not change their text records stuff for faster validation.. this is beginning to stink more and more.

•••
Sedo is just not working for me. I usually sell .CAs and there are always problems with transferring, where the buyer really doesn't understand the process and the entire transaction just comes to a screeching halt. I am totally helpless as Sedo cuts off all contact with the buyer so I am totally at their mercy.

I have put in two cries for help so far, but the Broker Bots have not even auto-responded. I often wonder if Sedo has any living workers left...

On GD, since they are a registrar, a .CA domain transfer takes about 2 seconds and I get the money the next day. But it's a 20% commission. DAN is naturally slower than GD, but still responsive, and checks in at a 10% commission. You can even chat with the buyer on DAN to clear up snags.

Sedo is in the middle at 15%... but I'm really not sure exactly what I'm paying for. Even the slightest snag on a non-fast transfer domain results in 3-5 day delays before you even get a reply, let alone solve the problem, and I have had transactions sit at Sedo for well over a month before these are completed.

At this point, I need another ccTLD transaction at Sedo like I need a hole in the head. Seriously, these are shaving years off my life.

Last edited:
•••
My communicatiions experience with Sedo:

Transfer agents: they respond on the same or next (German) business day. To be more specific, they _act_ - provide transfer instructions, receive pushes or authcodes, generate payout invoices, etc, etc. In most cases, I have little or nothing to discuss with them (My listings are BIN exclusively, take it or leave it. Buyer successfully paid? Then the domain is theirs. If not - it is not theirs.)

Account manager (assigned to Sedo Pro accounts) - no commucation issues, fast responses. May be a few emails in an out, all in the same day. Sometimes, they may need to escalate an issue with another department though, so resolution time would depend on another department.

Sedo brokers: I do not have statistically significant experience with this team. Only if I did not list the domain for sale with Sedo - but they received an iquiry from somebody regardless, and found a way to contact me either because the domain was purely parked with Sedo, or via whois. Not frequently, but it happened. In such cases, there always was a normal email exchange (initiated by the broker) which might (or might not) end up with a sale.

Long story short - I'm happy Sedo customer for ~15 years or so...

Last edited:
•••
The website is old, many things in the management panel do not work as it should, the support flow is extremely slow, etc. Although there are many problems, they do not offer any solutions or innovations and continue to receive high commissions.
Hi

in domaining, "age" of a website/domain or how "old" it is, sometimes gives it value.
as for the management panel, i don't see any issues that prevent listing a domain or offering it for sale.

when it comes to solutions,
as a seller, i have already reached the "passive 2% STR" on their platform alone.

innovations, come over time, like their featured auctions for specific categories of domains.
who else does that?
and they've recently added "traffic stats", so one can search terms by visitors.

sedo also has external transfer service starting at 3%.
who else has that?
and sedo has pay per click parking
dan didn't have it, until they partnered with bodis and how many are earning any ppc money using afternic parking.?

when it comes to "make offer" inquires, one can negotiate for themselves and either shoot for the moon or leave something on the table, but the commissions for that setting are the same as afternic.
however BIN @ sedo is only 10% versus Dan's 9%, and for the volume of visitors that sedo receives that 1% difference is well worth it in comparison.

still, it's always about each individuals' specific domains that they own, the quality, the pricing, the traffic, the appeal, etc, etc
and therefore, their experiences with a specific platform may be different than others.

however, i wouldn't blame a platform if i can't get any sales, without first looking in the mirror at my names.
because they are, the solutions and innovations that have come from domaining.

imo...

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back