Dynadot

Sedo Changed Search Domain Results

NameSilo
Watch
I have noticed today that Sedo has changed search domain results, No exact domain search anymore, for example if you search for the domain booking, you will not find the exact keyword booking, but another keywords including booking.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, pretty annoying. You want to find domains that start with ABCD (just an example) and you get AEFGCH (since it has "a" and "c")

•••
Even for example if you search for the word (hotel) you will get results not contains hotel at all, such as:
accomodation, motel, inn, hostel, auberge, lodging, resort .....etc

•••
Yeah :(

I hope it's just a bug... If you choose "starts with" or "ends with" it makes pretty much no difference...

•••
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed when I noticed as well..

Not surprising tough, seems to me they've been doing almost everything possible within they powers to keep sliding downhill even further, for some time now.

•••
If it's not a bug, it's the stupid thing i ever saw. I just searched for a name and i got other results that i didn't ask for. It's like i will ask the lady in the store for a Coke and she will bring me drinking glasses. it's not make any sense :-/.

•••
search for "stick" and you'll get .club

:)

•••
...get used to it. Sedo does what it wants and never considered the users concerns to begin with...

•••
Indeed.
I noticed that yesterday, it seems fixed now.
When searching for exact match for a keyword/keywords, Sedo offered alternatives rather than showing the domain which is the exact match of the search.
I contacted Sedo today in regard to this issue, they then asked me for a proof of this in photo since they found the exact match when they did search.
I reported this issue to Sedo and supplied the requested proof.
They said they will forward it to their technical department.

I just checked and it seems fixed.
The issue was mostly with buy now listings.

Last edited:
•••
for me the issue is still there and it's very irritating.

•••
Essentially, it looks like they removed the "Already registered" and "Available to be registered" results (which were helpful to me as a domainer, but probably didn't help sales).

•••
Essentially, it looks like they removed the "Already registered" and "Available to be registered" results (which were helpful to me as a domainer, but probably didn't help sales).

...They probably started to realize that...

•••
...get used to it. Sedo does what it wants and never considered the users concerns to begin with...

Better than getting used to it, how about opting out of Sedo altogether? If you're truly interested in a particular domain, just contact the current registrant!

Envisioning the discovery and procurement of gold nuggets while panning for gold is now played in the domain auction arena(s). These auction platform entities walk all over you, leave you in the dark about important policies, change policies on the fly, and the lemmings just keep falling over the cliff trying to catch the golden domain.

Sounds to me like Sedo is getting rich, and their customers ain't.

•••
Sedo is one of the worse web sites ever. Not only do they stiff people with outrageous fees. But the layout, usability, and search function of the web site has always and probably will always continue to suck. It continues to get worse. It's too bad there isn't a better version of Sedo that's just as big.

•••
I cant belive that I cant find my domains on SEDO typing exact keyword in search...I must type xxxxx.com to find it, instead just xxxxx....I also redirected domains from parking to SEDO and is same thing....useless...

•••
I don't know, why they did that?

•••
The problem is that every business owner scratches his head and then asks his CIO, why dont we have smarter data or even be cool guys and do some big data analytics.. then the CIO buys a crappy synonyms Database and the result is as u see!!! stick gives you .club, maybe treatment gives you cures.... though in english its a good shot, but for a brandable or someone looking exactly for a wors thats super silly..

BUT.. look at it from the other side, your domains that never made it to the search results, will sell more now!!
For example, I have a domain massdelivery .com and it never got views, in the past week it got 10 views and all on separate days.. mostly coz it appears in more search result synonyms....

Hope this crapy comment helps :)

•••
This is ridiculous, what an asinine change.

I tried to search for domains with the keyword "lookup" but all I get are "research" domains. They are replacing "lookup" with "research".

https://sedo.com/search/searchresul...e[]=4&auction_event[]=322&auction_event[]=323

Same thing when I search keyword "plan". They are replacing "plan" with "designs".

What is the point of using search if it returns keywords different from what you enter.

•••
It's actually a neat little feature. You're all thinking from a domainer's perspective. Any buyer who doesn't have an EXACT domain in mind will appreciate the change. They'll be presented with more options to choose from, and purchase a domain they wouldn't have thought of otherwise. Sedo is not a domainer's tool, it's where buyers purchase domains, and that's what we as sellers ultimately want (more sales).

Now they just need to add a "related to" radio button before the "contains", "starts with" and "ends with" radio buttons. So the default search will be for all terms related to the keyword entered. But some buyers DO come looking for exact match domains, so if they want to, they will simply select one of the other radio buttons to search the old way. Right now those buttons are not functioning and they should be, I think the new system is still being implemented, it's vital that those buttons be fixed.

•••
It's actually a neat little feature. You're all thinking from a domainer's perspective. Any buyer who doesn't have an EXACT domain in mind will appreciate the change. They'll be presented with more options to choose from, and purchase a domain they wouldn't have thought of otherwise. Sedo is not a domainer's tool, it's where buyers purchase domains, and that's what we as sellers ultimately want (more sales).

It is indefensible. The search results returned are not even relevant from a buyers perspective. When you use a search form regardless of the website you expect at least some what relevant results.

Now they just need to add a "related to" radio button before the "contains", "starts with" and "ends with" radio buttons. So the default search will be for all terms related to the keyword entered. But some buyers DO come looking for exact match domains, so if they want to, they will simply select one of the other radio buttons to search the old way. Right now those buttons are not functioning and they should be, I think the new system is still being implemented, it's vital that those buttons be fixed.

I agree that if they simply just added a "related" check box to turn it on and off that would solve the problem. Since it does not exist it should have never been implemented without it this way. I doubt the Sedo staff is that incompetent to leave the main feature of their site broken for weeks and rather this current implementation is intentional.

When you see stuff like this going on with a company it reeks of either incompetence, questionable - sleazy sales tactics or a company going out of business that does not have the resources to maintain their website. In this case the domain name industry seems to get more sleazy by the day and now we are seeing major players like Sedo pull nonsense like this.

•••
lol, and they closed my account without warning/reason and they even did not reply when I asked several times for the reason to close my account.

•••
I think the issue
Resolved

•••
The issue has NOT been resolved.

They provide a list of only 12 exact matches followed by what they think you are looking for which does not match the keyword you entered.

This is instead of providing a list of domains that have the keyword you are searching for. This is fundamentally the basics of any search form.

•••
Yes, the issue is still there. It's an awful change (I still hope that it's a bug, though I'm no that sure considering the time passed since it's there). The search is currently working like if 'include keyword variations' checkbox were always ON - why is this option still shown at all if its switching doesn't have any effect?

•••
This may be one of the worst simple search engines I've ever used.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back